The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2020, 01:42 PM   #1
NCD1966

picked up a 1991 suburban need some advice on lowering it and audio

I picked up this suburban the end of January for a really good price. My plan is to daily drive this to keep the miles and dirt off my 2018 GMC, The Burban is in really good shape mechanically other than some minor fixing. Engine bay is like it was new. I had some brake issues so I replaced the front hoses and calipers. The hoses were stock! now I have a axle seal leaking. You can see in the pic its leaking on my driveway.

Needs some paint and the interior is in great shape; pretty clean and no tears or stains. front seats have some wear but the rear seats look almost new. All wiring is unmolested everything works. Sorry no interior photos at this time.

I want to lower it with a 4/6 drop and add in some speakers. I like my audio sounding clear. So Im looking on speaker brands and locations in the truck. Really dont want to cut it into the truck much but Id like to have nice audio like I have in my 2018 GMC Sierra.

As far as lowering it; looking at the rear if I do a flip kit, I dont think will fit. the leaf springs look very close to the frame as is. I dont know if they were overloaded. I'll post up pics later of that. My plan is to do a 4/6 drop and add 20 inch junkyard dog type wheels.
tell me your thoughts.

1990 Chevy Suburban 350 tbi 2x4 (sold)
1984 Chevy C10 sliverado short fleet
1997 Chevy C1500 short fleet
NCD1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 02:24 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: picked up a 1991 suburban need some advice on lowering it and audio

As nice as that is I'd put the money in just the audio system and drive it the way it is. It'll ride better. But that's me
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 02:44 PM   #3
smokehouse

i have heard different ways to lower the rear but the front is easy. the back can be different i have heard different ways. my 78 had 8 leafs in the rear i pulled out 3 and drop it down 4 inches just by doing that. i hope in the coming weeks to but the drop shackles on it not sure the one or two inches. i have heard the 2 inch hole the leaf will hit the filler neck but i will figure that out when i get there. i did read in another post that someone did do a flip kit but then changed out the rear hanger to a 4wd to give you the room back. i have read flip and maybe a raised shackle. I would always change out all the brakes you will always want safety first. c10 brakes is cheap enough.
smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:36 PM   #4
Originalthor

I can help you on speaker placement. I got a total of 8 speakers in mine and sounds good minus I need to put a headliner in but I went and bought 4 more speakers that fit up in the front dash and cut them into the door panels just below the window and door lock buttons. There is more then enough room for the magnate in the door panel. I also put some foam around them to kinda make a box you could say. And in the back I just got a couple of 6x9 speaker boxes and put them just behind back seat. I'll get some pictures if you want.
Originalthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:32 AM   #5
NCD1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalthor View Post
I can help you on speaker placement. I got a total of 8 speakers in mine and sounds good minus I need to put a headliner in but I went and bought 4 more speakers that fit up in the front dash and cut them into the door panels just below the window and door lock buttons. There is more then enough room for the magnate in the door panel. I also put some foam around them to kinda make a box you could say. And in the back I just got a couple of 6x9 speaker boxes and put them just behind back seat. I'll get some pictures if you want.
yes I like to see what you did. I'll probably go with some 6.5" and a small powered sub. nothing crazy loud for bass just sounding nice and clear. A
1990 Chevy Suburban 350 tbi 2x4 (sold)
1984 Chevy C10 sliverado short fleet
1997 Chevy C1500 short fleet
NCD1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 05:31 PM   #6
rideair

In regards to your sound system.

In my 1988, First, I went with a four-phase approach in sound deadening. A Dynamat type product, Mass Loaded Vinyl and 3M SM600L, along with MASS-Backing on the new carpet to reduce noise, vibration, etc..

Replaced the radio head unit, with a new Bluetooth head factory replacement (no cutting), that had four speaker outputs (two front/two rear), along with four RCA outputs for an Alpine amp mounted under the center area of the front seat.

Front 3" speakers were replaced with Alpine's running off the head unit. Ran the second set of head speaker outputs to "two" Alpine 8" powered sub-woofers, mounted under the front seat drivers/passenger area.

The four RCA outputs went to a 4-channel Alpine power-amp that ran a set of 3-way 4x10's in the rear factory location, and a set of 6.5's, 3-ways in the kick-panels.

You do what I did, and it will be more than you'll ever need.

Stay Healthy,
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote