The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
VictoriaHardware

Air Conditioning a Sub

Who has experience with the interior cooling performance of the A/C system in their Suburban? Is it able to keep you cool? I'm wondering if after all the work of adding A/C I will be dissappointed with the result.

What kind are you using- factory or aftemarket? Did you have to dark tint the windows? Do you have a light or dark roof? Are you living in Alaska or Florida?
VictoriaHardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
burbluv

Re: Air Conditioning a Sub

I would love some input on this as well.
Thinking of installing the underdash Mark IV from Vintage Air.
Thanks,
AJ
Posted via Mobile Device
burbluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
theastronaut

Maybe look into integrating the rear air out of a newer suburban? I know that our '96 Tahoe won't cool the back seats at all (no rear air) and only barely cools the front when it's over 90 degrees out. It blows out cold- high 30s/low 40's but just doesn't have enough volume of air. As much metal as the old interiors have, you've got a challenge ahead of you.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
spacedebris

I've been considering the problem for my panel as well. The Cummins I am dropping in came out of a 95 dodge with factory air. I know it worked fine on a P/U cab but I'm worried that it will not be enough to cool the cavernous area of the panel.

However I do have some plans that should help.

First (after all rust repairs are done) I plan to "paint" the entire roof on the inside with Lizard Skin Ceramic insulation and also the sound control coating. I'm even playing with the idea of adding both to the sides as well.

The next thing I've considered is adding 2-4 A/C vents in the rear. However, I'm not sure that the A/C will have enough volume to handle up to 12 vents.

I'd like to hear back from others that have successfully cooled off their burbs. For that matter those that were not successful would be helpful too so we dont make the same mistakes.
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
Brad54

I'll tell you guys one thing that GREATLY helped the interior temps of my '61: Dynamat sound deadener in the ceiling.
The roof is more rust than white, so it's dark and absorbs heat.
No carpet, no weather stripping... it's primitive (for now).
Every time I hit a bump, that roof panel would twang and vibrate like a 12-foot long saw blade.

I put the sound deadener on the ceiling, and it quieted things down a good bit, and it cooled the interior.

I live in Atlanta, so know all about heat in the summer.

Future plans call for more sound deadener in the doors, inside the quarters (I'm going to cut access panels in the interior insets, and then cover the insets with fabric), and on the floor to keep exhaust and trans heat at bay.

Between that, the kick panel vents, vent windows and opening the rear windows, I should be pretty good. I can live without A/C for two months. I've found as long as I'm rolling, and the temp is 95 or lower, it's not bad.

-Brad

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #6
carryall65

Hi,I had the orig. factory a/c but i replaced it with an old air unit but its only good for the front passengers. I did not want to sound deaden the roof,i wanted it stock looking. I also didn't want to tint all the windows dark but i did tint them a lite blue to match my paint.Sound deadening the ceiling and floors will help alot. I just installed an 84+ suburban rear a/c blower unit in the rear and had it tee'd into the front unit with separate control.I just need to fab a sheet metal cover to go over the unit and incorporate air vents.It cools nicely but will see come summer...hth...gil
carryall65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
Bart Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by carryall65 View Post
Hi,I had the orig. factory a/c but i replaced it with an old air unit but its only good for the front passengers. I did not want to sound deaden the roof,i wanted it stock looking. I also didn't want to tint all the windows dark but i did tint them a lite blue to match my paint.Sound deadening the ceiling and floors will help alot. I just installed an 84+ suburban rear a/c blower unit in the rear and had it tee'd into the front unit with separate control.I just need to fab a sheet metal cover to go over the unit and incorporate air vents.It cools nicely but will see come summer...hth...gil
so how did this work out over the summer?? do you have pics of the install??
Bart Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
kieth

Rear a/c units, the older factory ac units out of a LATER MODEL suburban are nice but try to think outside the box. Visit your local over the road truck body shop, they should have lots of extra a.c units from sleepers they have removed, or ones that were damaged. Remember when you think about cooling capacity, these large class 8 tractors have the same compressor as your suburban. Kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
LT1 Burb

I put a GEN IV vintage air setup in my Burban and it cools the front passengers fine, towards the back it gets a little warm still.I think a rear air setup would be the ticket but I rarely have passengers back there so I don't see the need.
LT1 Burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #10
MikeS.

LT1, thanks for that info. I plan on doing mine this winter.
Triluminar Lodge #117 GL of WVa

My 1963 4x4 Suburban build;
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=531274

My Gallery, now with pics of my 1966 C30 motorhome.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...&ppuser=103447
MikeS. is offline   Reply With Quote