The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-2013, 12:51 AM   #11
Billett

Re: First Time Swapper

First of all, no idea why that last pic wasn't the right one. Here are the fans.

Secondly, couple questions while I'm waiting to get to work. I apologize as these may seem very basic, but I really appreciate the help.

1) To connect the 4L80E I won't need a spacer because I have the 01+ Lq4 correct?

2) I know you mentioned cutting off that ear depending on the headers I use, but what headers work well with these trucks for a budget price? I'd prefer a set of headers as opposed to manifolds, but would I be better off sticking with manifolds? I've look at the Doug Thorleys ones, but I'm not sure it's in the budget at the moment... Any of the F-body headers fit? I'm assuming it depends on what kind of engine mounts I use which leads me to number 3...

3) cheapest engine mounts. I've got the 350 in there now and I've seen the templates in the lsx faq thread. Is it really as simple as making a pair of these plates?

I'd rather not spend $220 on the ECE ones. I'm sure the quality is fine, but these plates are well within my abilities to make.

4) When I picked up the engine he forgot the PCM at his house so I'll be getting that in the mail this week. However, he cut the harness as seen in pic 3 in the last post. I've heard that I can get the harness ends off of a 2nd gen s10. Anyone know if there's any truth to that? Would I be ok soldering some extra length to those cut ends when I go over the harness or would I be better off finding an uncut stock one and routing it where I need to?

5) How about a tune? I know speartech and blackbear do tunes, and I could go for the more expensive EFI live or HPT direction. I know it would be cheaper short run to get a tune from a shop, but when I'm spending $200 every time I need a re-tune it just seems like buying HPT would be much cheaper in the long run. Since the engine was from a van I'm assuming it already had a 4l80e behind it, but if not my brother works at a GM dealership so I think he can reflash it for me if I get in a jam. Biggest thing is, I'd like to learn to tune, but for the initial "get it up and running" all I really need to do is remove the VATS right?
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote