The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2014, 10:39 PM   #1
GM-power

Another head question.

Sometime in near future and I got some vortec heads but the more I research them the more i dont wanna use them. So I got a 357 mild build with about 10k on it. I didnt build it but a good friends brother did and he died before he could mount it in the truck. Anyway im gonna swap in a roller cam, I know its pricey but thats what I want to do. So what I have come up with is stock vortec heads max out at about .470 and I wanna get a higher lift cam. So I found some dart heads that are about $600 a piece thatll accommodate a larger cam. Im not lookin for a drag motor, but with a new top end with a .502/.510 comp roller cam I think it would be a good street motor. So should I just get the darts and call it a day or clean up and machine or do some ghetto grind on the vortecs? Any opinions? I dont want a break the bank but i wanna do it once and do it right.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:44 PM   #2
GM-power

Re: Another head question.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/drt-10121111
Here are the dart heads
Old 04-03-2014, 10:54 PM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Those are RHS heads not Darts. Plus those have way too big of intake runners for what it sounds like you are building. IMO you should stay at 195cc or less.....180 would probably be better. If you don't want to use the Vortec heads, there are a few budget friendly aftermarket heads that would work just fine. The Dart SHP and Brodix IK heads are a couple. Do you already have an intake?

Others will disagree, but I am a fan of the Vortecs. Here in my area, those could be rebuilt and upgraded for around $600-650. There's no need to do any 'ghetto grinding' on the Vortecs.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:08 PM   #4
GM-power

I saw I posted the wrong link. I think I got the wrong one up. The dart heads im lookin at are 64cc/180cc. Im not against using vortec heads but im a little confused on what needs to be done to them. Valve guide and boss needs to be machined? And I would put screw in studs in them. Then I saw the alex parts springs and beehive stuff. Just alittle to much internet reading I think. I already have a crack free set of stock assemblef vortec heads that have were ran for about 500 miles, but im just thinkin about longevity and I know vortec heads get a bad wrap for cracking. Its already gonna cost some dough so I just started lookin at aftermarket. And no I dont have a vortec intake, but either way id have to get a new one. Got a stock cast iron one and a performer at the moment.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:10 PM   #5
GM-power

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/drt-127122
These would work to