The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
thepunisher

2nd temp sensor

I am doing the Jeep Cherokee fan install on my '72. I bought a second temp sensor switch to run with a relay. Where can I install the temp sensor? Is there a location on the passenger side of the block or the head just like the temp sensor on the drives side? I have some other options but I'd like to get a reading from the engine. This is a 350 GM crate motor with valve cover bolts on the edges.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
BCOWANWHEELS

Re: 2nd temp sensor

I couldnt get that fan to even cool my 6 cyl. Engine
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
thepunisher

Awesome, that's a confidence builder. I figured if the single fan wasn't moving enough air I would add a pusher fan in front of the radiator.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:44 PM   #4
mclairmo

I though that most electric fans use a temp sensor probe that is inserted into the radiator. My Flex a Lite Black Magic has a bulb that merely touches the radiator fins and senses the temp in order to control when the fan turns on.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

There will be sensor holes on each head. The one on the right side will be plugged. Remove the plug and use that.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:53 PM   #6
hayhauler71

You can buy an aftermarket fan switch from summit racing that threads into your engine block or intake manifold that is preset to turn your fan on at various temps and than shut off at various temps.
hayhauler71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:51 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

The fan doesn't cool the engine, it cools the rad.
you are better off getting the temperature reading from the rad.. upper drivers side, 3 or 4 inches from the top. That is the best place to put it.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:31 AM   #8
BCOWANWHEELS

I prefer on the hot side of thermostat in the intake
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:33 AM   #9
Longhorn Man

you can prefer it, but it doesn't make it the best set up.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:49 AM   #10
thepunisher

I wasn't comfortable with the stab through kind of temp sensor. I didn't feel like that was going to be the most robust setup. I want a temp sensor in the head to take a reading of how hot the coolant is in the engine. I wanted on at 180 degrees and off at 170. I already had a relay so I just bought a standard temperature switch from the local auto parts store.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:00 PM   #11
westofb
I really hate wet sanding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepunisher View Post
I wasn't comfortable with the stab through kind of temp sensor. I didn't feel like that was going to be the most robust setup. I want a temp sensor in the head to take a reading of how hot the coolant is in the engine. I wanted on at 180 degrees and off at 170. I already had a relay so I just bought a standard temperature switch from the local auto parts store.
I think with that set up your electric fan will run constantly once your truck reaches operating temp.
westofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:29 PM   #12
mclairmo

I think there is a very good reason why the aftermarket uses a probe that reads the temp off the radiator and not the engine. The radiator and engine temps will likely be different and when the fan should turn on is really dependant on the temp of the water in the radiator, not the engine.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:29 PM   #13
thepunisher

I'm OK with the fan running constantly as long as the truck doesn't overheat. I am worried about this setup not being adequate to keep the engine cool enough though. I'm going to do an at home flush of the coolant. When I refill it I am going to add purple ice (first time I have tried this brand). I have used water wetter in the past and have had success with getting ~10 degrees of extra cooling. I'm looking for longevity in the motor so I want the engine to run below 200 degrees.

<addition>
Both types of aftermarket sensor kits are available. Flex-a-lite sells the radiator style, painless sells a sending unit style. I see this as personal preference. Once the thermostat is open and coolant is flowing through the entire coolant system why does it matter where the temperature is taken (honest question not a rhetorical statement)? The goal is to keep the engine at optimal operating temperature. I know the temperature of the coolant will vary throughout the system so where you take the temp will vary. But so what, as long as the coolant is getting cooled and in turn the engine what makes the radiator a better location for the temperature. Am I missing something?
<end addition>

Last edited by thepunisher; 09-14-2009 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Added to comment about the style of sensor
thepunisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:00 PM   #14
mclairmo

IMO, you want the electric fan on as little as possible to prevent overcooling, to extend the life of the expensive fan motor and to prevent unnecessary stress on the charging system/alternator. The engine temp will usually be higher than the radiator temp, especially in the head. Putting the probe in the radiator will allow the fan to operate only when really needed. If your fan is not pulling enough cfm, though, then maybe you are correct and running it on all the time is best. In that case, forget the temp sensor/probe and run a toggle switch to the dash like a race car. You can then turn it on and off whenver you want based on what your temp gauge reads or just leave it on all the time.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:38 PM   #15
Longhorn Man

if you are worried about max cooling, then why start with a sub par unit to begine with? A fan with a clutch is going to pull more air, and last. Usually when a clutch goes out, you have full time fan instead of NO fan like when a fan motor or relay or wires or sensor or even a fuse fails.
I've replaced many head gaskets due to a failed electric fan... not a single one due to a failed fan clutch.