The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2013, 03:42 AM   #1
HSRACER

Front and rear steelie wheels with airride??

So i have some steel wheels on my 67 but they are 3 different backspacing from previous owner. None make any sense from a fitment standpoint. All have 1/4 inch spacers. They are all 15 inch steels but 2 have 4.5 back spacing 1 has 4 inch and the other has 3.75.

On steel 15 inch wheels, what backspacing and wheel width can be run with airride, stock front spindles, control arms and stock rear axle width that will allow for maximum placement of the tires?

In other words,I want the rear tires to just barely clear the outer lips of the rear fenders and the front to just barely clear the LCA and the tierod ends so when I drop it there are no issues.

I have stock full wheel hubcaps i am trying to keep and would also like to loose the spacers. Thanks in advance.
Patinaed 67 LS stepside
Supercharged 67 Nova
Bagged 69 Suburban Turbo'ed 5.3 LS
HSRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
fapfap72

Re: Front and rear steelie wheels with airride??

I know next to nothing about air ride, etc.. yet. but I do know that if the wheels are from like 55 or around there the steelies are designed different on the inside, idk if that will help but for instance I bought 4 55 pontiac steelies thinkin they would fit my 72 truck and they didn't clear the calipers in front even with 1/2" spacers and I bet they wouldn't have cleared in the rear either, they had a 4.25 inch backspace, idk if that'll help you or not but it was my own fault but also a bummer when I got em all derusted and cleaned up & they didn't clear the calipers cuz of the way they are designed on the inside of the wheel so I figured I'd mention that about the older steelies to save you a potential headache

Build Thread

"I'm gunna be honest I don't know anything about tracking chickens, I just did it for the free liquor. But I'm tellin ya I heard that chicken"
fapfap72 is offline   Reply With Quote