The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2020, 08:36 AM   #1
Ironangel

Thumbs up Finally Installed JEGS 260HP 350...

After six years Belle's 350 dropped a cylinder, that was my first SBC build and I never thought it would hold out and run so long. I did push that motor pretty hard towing Sally all over hell and gone and she ran like a champ! I bought one of those JEGS 260 HP motors six years ago when they were $1200 delivered, been in plastic on a stand in the back of the shop every since. I've learned much since then as I had just retired and was still very green in that I had more money than sense at the time. Otherwise I be dropping in an L31 instead of the old gen 1 bargain motor. I also put a new Edelbrock Performer Air Gap intake on it before stuffing it away for later use. That was a mistake because there is no provision for the divorced choke and a choke is a must in these Nebraska winters! I got the motor in and primed her with Driven break in oil, squirted a bit of Marvels Mystery Oil in each plug hole and installed the R44T's gapped at .045", dropped the MSD dizzy in and put the Quadrajet and headers on. She fired right up and broke in nicely! Took her out for her maiden run and was surprised at the increased power! I knew that old motor wasn't making full power but was surprised at the difference a cylinder makes. I've been tinkering with manual chokes and have rebuilt the original Quadrajet modifying the linkage to work with a manual choke, still working on that one...Meanwhile, I had Sally's carb on the shelf, another Quadrajet built by Cliff Ruggles for Sallys, (now being rebuilt) L34 396 Big Block and decided to throw that on and see how that Small Block with an Air Gap intake liked it...Holy Moly! That small block loved that fat set up especially on the cold starts, go figure...The weather has been unseasonably warm lately and that big block carb is proving to a bit to much, especially when I step on it and open those secondary's! No biggie, but it occurred to me, what if I JB Welded that divorced choke coil spring set up to the deck of that Air Gap intake and just use an extended choke rod? That's still in the R&D engineering mode...Anyway, just wanted to touch base and give a heads up on those 260 HP JEGS 350's...I like it! Even without the Lunati cam in it I think it will pull that tandem trailer with Sally's 4000 lbs on it just fine...Now, to figure out how to post pics from my facebook page to here?
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:17 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Finally Installed JEGS 260HP 350...

Many, many moons ago I experimented with a manual choke for a quadrajet. I used an 90 degree angle bracket that I bolted to one intake bolt. I made a small bellcrank that rotated on the bracket that I attached the cable to. Hooked the link rod to the other end.
Worked well but wished I had a better bellcrank like this. Could have made some finer adjustments.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...Kit,36221.html

Not hard to make a bracket or two.
Sorry. Got no pics.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:17 PM   #3
Ironangel

That would work nicely and provide plenty of adjustability too...Thanks! I order from Speedway time to time. JEGS, Summit, Speedway, whoever whenever I can get out of paying shipping charges, but at $20 that thing would allow the choke cable to stay back and down out of the way. Good Call Geezer!
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
Old 01-07-2020, 04:47 PM   #4
truckster

Personally, I would go with an electric choke and never have to worry about it again.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:50 AM   #5
toolboxchev

Glad to see that ole hyd motor working out for you. May I make a recommendation?

Just got off the phone yesterday with MSD techs. I am having an Ionizing issue with the distributor cap. Their product. They had advised to close the plug gap from .045 to .040 unless you have a 6AL box or better.

too much gap on the plugs will make it hard on the internals of the dist esp. if you are in a moist environment.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:00 AM   #6
Ironangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Personally, I would go with an electric choke and never have to worry about it again.
Both of my carbs are old school 4MV's and don't want to fiddle with the expense and linkage installing an electric choke...My 72's are the newest vehicles I own and drive on a daily basis...I have a 91 Jeep Cherokee out there with 750,000 miles on the clock but I only drive her when snow fly's anymore...Been keeping it around to drop a built small block in to run through the mud pit, but that's still a dream at this point. "Nasty Sally's" takin all my money! She's my other 72 LWB truck...
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
Old 01-08-2020, 10:18 AM   #7
Ironangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxchev View Post
Glad to see that ole hyd motor working out for you. May I make a recommendation?

Just got off the phone yesterday with MSD techs. I am having an Ionizing issue with the distributor cap. Their product. They had advised to close the plug gap from .045 to .040 unless you have a 6AL box or better.

too much gap on the plugs will make it hard on the internals of the dist esp. if you are in a moist environment.
No box but I did notice after 6 years the inside of the "Street Fire" cap is reddish brown and dirty. It wasn't until after the fact that I realized the Street Fire Dizzy's are Chinese made...I'll get the original carb back on with the manual choke assembly and install the M/E Wagner adjustable PVC valve by this weekend and post up some pics. And I'm always open to suggestions and ideas, that's what makes this truck forum so great! Thanks!
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
Old 01-08-2020, 10:30 AM   #8
Ironangel

As promised, a few pics...Well, guess I can only upload one pic per box...Oh well, there's one... The dizzy is phased one or two teeth off in the first pic and I had a set of GM Performance valve covers laying around so I threw them on...Motor runs great, no barn stormer but as a 350 should she's strong...
Attached Images

02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage

Last edited by Ironangel; 01-08-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:37 AM   #9
Ironangel

And two...
Attached Images

02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage