The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2018, 01:54 PM   #226
roll_the_dice

Re: Johns 66

I thought you bought a NOS SW...was it the horn ring? I am jealous of the SW regardless, mine is not original. I need to find one. I have also seen the epoxy kits to repair them. I do work with epoxy resin regularly, but a thin consistency...so maybe it won't be that hard to do....we will find out!
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 03:50 PM   #227
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
I thought you bought a NOS SW...was it the horn ring? I am jealous of the SW regardless, mine is not original. I need to find one. I have also seen the epoxy kits to repair them. I do work with epoxy resin regularly, but a thin consistency...so maybe it won't be that hard to do....we will find out!
No...I bought a used steering deluxe wheel and an automatic steering column....I bought is just because it was there and are hard to find. I then sent the ring and horn button to Ruben to be chromed.
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 07:09 PM   #228
Johns 66

When I got home from my trip I had a nice surprise waiting on me from Yelmer.

On my original someone had cut off the spout that comes off the side and looked really funny....Mike had one and sent it to me....it had already been powder coated. Don't mind the pics from the kitchen counter...lol

Mike I really appreciate the kindness you showed me.....You are a great guy.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2018, 12:23 AM   #229
cwcarpenter98

Just spent my evening reading through your thread. Great job on all the stuff that you have done to it

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:06 PM   #230
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Just spent my evening reading through your thread. Great job on all the stuff that you have done to it
Thanks so much CW......Its a slow process to say the least.

Right now I am in the waiting process to get the rust places repaired...New rockers, cab corners, a small spot on the door and a spot in the passenger floor board....So while I wait on the shop to get to me I am gathering up things I know I will need once that part is finished.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:17 PM   #231
Johns 66

Well we have "Hopefully" narrowed down the issue of the truck not running right....fingers crossed. After talking with several ole redneck hot rodders the main theme we came up with is that the stall in the torque convertor was too small.

I ordered a 3200-3600 lockup torque convertor from Jegs and it should be here tomorrow...Wont take long to swap it out and see if that's the issue...If its not the issue then Im just gonna take the truck to the shop who built it and they can make it run right.

I also got in my crimpers for the AAW harness I bought...I bought them from Speedway Motors, for the set was 134.00 shipped to me...I guess that's not a bad price since everywhere else was 79.99 ea I know they are only good for certain things and once I am done with them I figure someone on here will probably need them at some point.

Sent my ole buddy roll the dice a lil present today...It should be there when he gets back from his vacation...if you haven't checked his build out you should...its pretty neat what he is doing with his truck.

Anyways here is a pic of the crimpers
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2019, 10:07 PM   #232
Johns 66

Had glorious visions of doing doughnuts today...…...Got my new torque convertor from Jegs made by Boss Hogg convertors....nice pretty sunny day temps not too high and not too cold...….

My day ended on jack stands...….

Pulled ole girl into the garage, placed on jack stands and got the tranny out and installed the new convertor, re-installed the tranny, made sure it was filled with fluid...put it in reverse to back it out the garage with visions of tire roasting smoke......truck did not move one inch.....Hmmmmmm Checked the cooler lines to make sure the pump was pumping...no problem there......So then called the dreaded tech line from Jegs.

their suggestion or expert advice was that the convertor was not seated....remove and re-install...Ok Im pretty sure convertor is installed correctly.....ESPECIALLY since my brother in law Randy rebuild and installs transmissions for a living...but we Could have made a mistake...its possible.....So we pulled it out, made sure it was seated and re-installed just as the help line suggested.....Well SAME result....wheels would not turn even on the jack stands. We made sure the input shaft was a 30 spline shaft, that the convertor was a 30 spline convertor....So I called the ole tech line again at Jegs...told them what we did.....so it appears according to him that I MAY have got a bad convertor...MAY HAVE?????? For sure have since I drove it into the garage, installed the convertor and now the wheels wont move on inch. Randy called several of his transmission friends and they agreed ...convertor is bad.

So we pulled it out again...this time we pulled it all the way out of the truck....drained the fluid out of the tranny, drained the fluid out of the convertor and then inspected both the pump...which was good, and the convertor which was no Bueno....The input shaft has ridges that line up inside the convertor......So we put a new input shaft inside the convertor and it did not engage the splines...….best we can tell is that the female part inside the convertor was worn extremely low not allowing the sgaft to engage...this wheels wont move....Called jegs again and explained what we found out and they then tell me they do not have a replacement on the shelf, that it would have to ship from the manufacturer which by the way is closed for inventory for the next 2 weeks.....You have got to be kidding me...…
Not willing to wait another two weeks I asked if they had a different brand...wasn't too sold on this brand...kind of fool me once type thing.....So am having a Jegs brand (more money) sent on Monday...should be here Tuesday, Wednesday at the latest.

Jegs folks were really nice about it all, I know its not their fault...So besides wasting a whole day and a few quarts of fluid I didn't get a whole lot accomplished....No doughnuts today......
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2019, 12:00 AM   #233
roll_the_dice

I haven't been on here since I've been back. Thanks again for the gift! John was kind enough to send me a steering wheel with horn ring and button.

Dude...that is one heck of a day! You got a lot done...just didn't get it fixed yet! I can't believe you got a bad converter...what's the odds? Jegs should eat the cost on the price difference or at least some of it.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:12 PM   #234
Johns 66

Well got a few pictures today from Bryan about my grille. He got is stripped and fixed a couple of places plus got the center Chevrolet mounted. The mounting tabs has slots so I can adjust it up and down....Will get it picked up and sent to Ruben at El Paso Electroplating...

Im so glad that Maggie shared this mod on her truck...I absolutely Love it..which is why I did mine

Also will be able to take the rest of the truck to get the metal work completed...So excited!!!!
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2019, 10:56 PM   #235
cwcarpenter98

That grille is cool! Definitely one of my favorites even though it technically isn't stock

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
Old 01-10-2019, 01:23 AM   #236
Johns 66

Quote:
That grille is cool! Definitely one of my favorites even though it technically isn't stock
Thanks CW...I might know where another one is exactly like this one

I still have my aluminum grille that will probably become wall art at some point . I can easily swap the grill out if I wanted to go back stock....but think this little mod will look pretty cool.

Last edited by Johns 66; 01-10-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:11 PM   #237
Lokin4AReason

nice build and keep those update(s) coming ....

but aw man, that is a sweet looking air cleaner ( been on the search in locating one for some time for mine )
Old 01-10-2019, 01:30 PM   #238
roll_the_dice

Nice grille John...I always like unique and different pieces. Nice touch!
Old 01-10-2019, 01:39 PM   #239
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokin4AReason View Post
nice build and keep those update(s) coming ....

but aw man, that is a sweet looking air cleaner ( been on the search in locating one for some time for mine )
Thanks so much...Yelmer had this one and was so nice and sent it to me over the holidays...my original spout was cut for some reason but the previous owner.

Quote:
Nice grille John...I always like unique and different pieces. Nice touch!
Thanks Andy...Not original but cool in my book...I can always put the original back in if I like.

Also placed my last order today...hopefully from LMC.....got the new bedside coming, front panel and a couple of other things...actually more than a couple...I did get free shipping because I got so much....I figure might as well order enough to get free shipping instead of paying 400.00 to ship the bed side.

Also my new torque convertor came in and will be installing it Saturday....fingers crossed.

Got another picture from Bryan today...they are working on the bedside that was worth saving...They had it blasted and are doing the metal work on it...they are also gonna get a coat of good primer on it before I pick it up.....Itll be nice for it to not have a bunch of bondo in it. Cant wait till I take the rest over to him and get the rest of the rust gone and metal work done
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #240
roll_the_dice

That's awesome. I love update pictures like that. They are working fast! I unbolted my seat yesterday...going to pull it out and get the carpet out this weekend and see how much more metal work the floor pan needs than I already know about. Fingers crossed!

Good luck with the converter...3rd, 4th, or 5th times the charm?
Old 01-10-2019, 04:31 PM   #241
Johns 66

I hope the next time is the charm...lol I checked this convertor already and it does have nice rigid teeth for the input shaft to mate up to.

Got one more picture from Bryan a little bit ago. Looking good
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2019, 11:25 PM   #242
cwcarpenter98

Getting rid of the rust is exciting! If I didn't love my 63 grille so much, I would want one of those as well. I don't know how, but my grille is almost perfect. Not dented or twisted up bad at all.

I know you are getting the grille chromed, but I think that chroming the letters and then painting the part that's behind the letters will make the chrome letters pop. Hope that makes sense lol

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 01-11-2019, 12:41 AM   #243
Johns 66

Quote:
Getting rid of the rust is exciting! If I didn't love my 63 grille so much, I would want one of those as well. I don't know how, but my grille is almost perfect. Not dented or twisted up bad at all.

I know you are getting the grille chromed, but I think that chroming the letters and then painting the part that's behind the letters will make the chrome letters pop. Hope that makes sense lol
CW.....I thought about that option the only issue I have with that is the Chevrolet part has a few flaws that while Im sure they could be worked out, the added expense of getting it supper straight, coupled with the cost of chroming the part plus the flexibility of the part has me thinking that it would not be a wise choice....So my plans are to paint the rear area flat black and then paint the letters white, like the body color.....Im hoping that looks good.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:06 AM   #244
cwcarpenter98

I think that will look good. The black will help the letters pop, and I think it will be a nice touch to match the letters to the body. It's only paint, so if you don't like it you can always redo it

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 01-11-2019, 02:17 AM   #245
kdad

Looking great... Love that grille

She may not be the prom queen but at least she puts out..
kdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:56 PM   #246
Johns 66

Got a little package today from the ole UPS man...….I also got my NOS Chevy II clock and Im sure yall know where they are going......Now the awesome part is my buddy Andy is gonna put it together for me....Im in no rush cause it will be some weeks before I put it in but am excited to see it done. I will say it came well packaged and protected.

If you haven't checked out Andys build here is the link to his build....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=737785
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2019, 08:11 PM   #247
Johns 66

Well Saturday arrived again with visions of doughnuts...….I think my standards are way too high..LOL

We got the new convertor in and they wheels do move now...….But it still is not running right....It seems now that the stall is too high. We adjusted linkage, played with the carb, messed with the timing ALL to no avail...We changed governors and still didn't run right...So I have had a 2500-2700 convertor, just put in a 3200-3600.

The 2500-2700 shifted too quick and wouldn't let the RPMs come up.

The 3200-3600 held the shift way too long and wouldn't go into overdrive until way late.

It could be a stuck valve in the tranny, stall could be too high, motor could be off in the timing department...We are thinking that the cam may be one tooth off....BUT at this point we are clueless. Just a lot of speculation at this point.

So we have come up with a plan...I am NOW going to buy a 2800-3200 stall....When we pull out the tranny, Randy is going to take it back apart and check the valves and the rest of the tranny just so he has peace of mind. After this is done we will once again install the tranny and take it for a ride...if after all this it still will not run right, then it is going to the shop who built the motor and it will be on them to make it run. If the tranny wont work with a stall range from 2500-3600 and the internals are right then it has to be the motor.

A 327 should light the tires on fire, especially with the bed off...….or at least that is what I think.

So after fooling with it most of the day I wanted to at least get something done so we change all the body mounts with polypropylene mounts...this wasn't too bad. I was really surprised how the rubber mounts had deteriorated.....The center shaft was almost non existent and the rubber parts just crumbled.

Then we changed the radiator support mounts...and of course one wanted to be a total pain so we had to cut it off with a Sawzall...It was all we had but eventually we got it out and installed the new mounts.

I wanted to get the new mounts installed because Bryan from Fullermoto said he was ready for me to bring it over and get the rust repaired....So one day this week I will trailer it over and let the rust repair start.....I want it to be on its on power while its there...so much easier to load and unload off a trailer.

But that's the weekend update...lol
Old 01-12-2019, 09:58 PM   #248
roll_the_dice

Wow, quite the Saturday! I can't believe it still isn't running right. You guys will figure it out soon enough.

How difficult were the body mounts? I have been thinking of changing mine out, just will be easier now than later. Any links to videos or any helpful hints?
Old 01-12-2019, 10:06 PM   #249
Johns 66

Quote:
Wow, quite the Saturday! I can't believe it still isn't running right. You guys will figure it out soon enough.

How difficult were the body mounts? I have been thinking of changing mine out, just will be easier now than later. Any links to videos or any helpful hints?
Me neither. Helpful hint 1...you do not have to remove the tank to change the rear...ask me how I know...lol

Its not hard at all....main thing is you will need someone to help you...After removing the bolt or nuts....bolts on the rear have a captive nut. What we did was use a 2x4 with a block of wood to slightly raise the rear of the cab so you could get the old mounts out...mine were stuck pretty good from all the dirt and grime.

on the fronts it has a bolt and nut....so you may need someone on the inside with a wrench so you can loosen...once the bolt is out we used a jack with a block of wood under the floor support to raise it to get the old mount out...we had to raise it about a 1/4" after we got the old mount out since the new one was a little taller and didn't compress.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:42 PM   #250
roll_the_dice

Thanks! That helps and makes total sense. I was thinking a block of wood also...Did you find them somewhere other than LMCtruck at a good price...seems like about $60 for the set?