The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
LEEVON

Quest to DD my '71 again

I need to face the music. Less than 5k miles in 10 years is no way to appreciate a truck. The only way she's ever going to see regular sunlight again is if I bring her up to the daily driver status like 1994-2000. Yeah, she looks nice, but she's really just driver quality with many things needing attention. I want quiet, reliable and fun. These are my must haves in order of priority:
  • LEAKS. Despite having maybe 2K miles on the engine and 1K miles on the trans, I have pesky leaks that won't submit and the rear end too. I can't have leaks, period.

• AIR CONDITIONING. I have all the stuff but I need to rehab the whole system and put it all back together. Not easy or quick but needs to be done.

• SHOULDER BELTS. I hate the looks of aftermarket harnesses, I currently have lap belts. Not sure how to get past the looks, maybe I just have to.

• TILT. I have it, needs paint and installation.

• SUSPENSION. Functional, but outdated and a little worn. In front I have old DJM 3" lower control arms and cut springs with a new CPP sway bar. The sway bar doesn't jive too well with the arms and the steering arm also hits it when turning certain ways. That has to be fixed. The ride is ok, but I'd like to switch to spindles and drop springs, with new shocks at all corners. In the rear I have 4" lower springs and 1.5" blocks which works but I also need to get my CPP adjustable track bar on there and would like 5" springs.

• ENGINE / EXHAUST. I want to ditch the headers for cast manifolds and get a new exhaust that is quieter. I also want to replace the billet crap under the hood with original stuff (air cleaner, valve covers, etc). She runs real good right now but shiny, hot, and fast aren't priority any more. Besides it's getting real ugly in there.
Am I nuts, do I expect too much or can I have my cake and eat it too? What compromises you make to drive your trucks?
Attached Images

Last edited by VA72C10; 05-22-2012 at 11:53 PM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote