The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #1
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Thumbs up Road trip from Ohio to chicago.... through my eyes.

ok... it's no secret... I like road trips. I'll jump in the truck and burn up a tank of gas for no reason at all sometimes. The kind that include other board members, and actually have a destination are even better though.
This one starts off a week or two ago, fine69 (we'll call him Mike from here on out) calls and says he has a trip to take to go get his old truck. I call him back after checking my schedule (becouse I am such a buisy and wanted person*you did pick up on the sarcasm....right?*) and confirmed the date.... so then, it was GAME ON!!!!
So, what does a road trip take... well, this one takes two dudes.... Mike;

And myself;

(i'm the good lookin one)
Also needed, was a truck and a trailer;

Both borrowed off a couple of mike's friends.
The truck is a 97ish c/3500 4X4 daulie extended cab work truck. lotsa miles, lotsa trash inside, but enough room for me him, and a cooler full of ice and mountain dew. (there's 2 dew addicts on this trip)
The wagon is nothing special, just a flat bed that had a brake light out.
And... a destination and a goal.
Destination ... urbana to chicago and back on thursday... and I gotta be to work friday morning.
The goal, to make it there and back, without having anything fall off the trailer.
9 PM on wedensday, I fill up the burb, toss a couple items in the burb that I've been wanting to get to Mike, and head west.

I get to his place, and he's got the truck and trailer, but no tail lights on the wagon.

A quick trip to his favorite wall mart, and a $27 dollar conversion plug and play harness... and we have SOME lights. Turns out the cheap craptastic tail lights REFUSE to make contact on the right turn signal, which doubles as the brake. We mess with it for a tic, it lights up, and we agree it's good enough.
More on that later.
Go inside, BS about everything under the sun, then crash for 4 hrs.
Then we hit the road.
50-ish miles into it, we pull over, and I take the wheel.

Notice the little patch of straw on the trailer. We hadn't noticed it yet...
So now it's my turn to drive... hold onto your ass!
Actually, I take it easy... set the cruise control for 65 and we head out. I notice the small block isn't quite as strong as I'd like... but it got diesel type MPG, so we aren't complaining. Even at just a hair over 2 bucks a gallon, it's still a $60 tank. Has the typical crappy brakes we've all come to know and complain about on this generation truck... but, for the best part, they slow me down when i want, and stop me clost to where I wanted them to stop me.
We stop at a wall mart, becouse there's more chicks there than at the gas station, and the truck stop chicks... well, we won't go there.
I guess mike DID have a good point... the rest rooms there were fairly clean-ish, and only smelled a little like dead cat.
But what's up with this sticky straw?
Uhhhh mike... I wouldn't stick my finger too far in there if I were you...

Get back in the truck, cruise some more.
So far, the ride has been 100% trouble free. Well, Mike couldn't get the seat to go back far enough... otherwise, no trouble.
Then I see this...

It's almost like they KNEW I was coming! They put up a longhorn sign just for me.
Stay tuned for more insantity

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 11-02-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #2
Longhorn Man

Re: Road trip from Ohio to chicago.... through my eyes.

Well, i guess we need a little back story on this.
Back in 02 or so, Mike got this well worn and very ugly 'ole girl from Nevada. (yes, still talkin about the truck)
I mean... look at this thing!

Mike drove it around a couple times on the original 292 and then ripped into it. Engine hit the floor, 3/4 ton stuff hit the scrap pile, front sheet metal was disposed of... then 1/2 ton underpinnings went in, and it sat.
And, as things go sometimes, he had to get rid of it.
But, here is where he gets lucky... he sold it.... it was considered "the one that got away"... and now, he gets the chance to get it back.
We should all be so lucky.
Now, I know what some of you are saying.... Man those two look sexy.
Well it's true. We do.
But I bet the rest of you are saying that truck is uglier than a man's hairy lower back side.
Well, you guys are right too.
HOWEVER... when was the last time you saw one?
Seriously. Have you EVER seen one?
We've seen one or two on here that were close... but no third door. Is this one of one? one of a few? Were the others so ugly that the original owner locked them away so no one would have to be subjected to the horror of seein it ever again?
We may never know. But for now... we'll just call it the ever so overused term... a rare truck.
So when I broke away for the back story, we were in this area....

Killin cans of dew like we only have a day left to live. got the stereo cranked up to a respectible leverl... I think it was 3 or 4 on the volume knob. I guess according to the kids shirt I saw... we are both too old.
AC/DC was the artist of choice for this trip. We listened to there new one, and it was kinda crappy-ish, but I guess it was worth the 12 bucks. We did listen to one other CD... but then it was AC/DC the rest of the way.
I mean, in all reality, they should be HONORED to be the artist featured on this trip. Mike and I could have made a comercial for there new album... picture it, 2 drop dead sexy guys, rollin in a semi-beat up 4X4 daulie... it's even red, and we all know red vehicles on comercials sell more product. Heck, it coulda doubled up as a Mountain Dew add too!
Man, we coulda MADE money on this trip.
So anyways...

We stop and fill up, get some lunch, and sat in the parking lot eating subway subs (I had the BMT double provalone no rabbit food... toasted... always toasted). I'm not sure what mike had. I DO know that the scenery at that gas station was second to none. this place had some top of the line hotties goin in and out. I didn't want to leave. But, oh well. Licked the italian dressing off my shirt, and we headed out.
Before long, we found ourselves in Chicago doing all the things that people do that screams "I'm not from around here". Trying to figure north from south, left from right, up from down... hey, can I make a u-turn in there... you've seen it all before.
Then, we finally get to our mid point destination.
Board member luisduran (we'll just call him Luis) has a truck shop, and stores all kinds of neat stuff there.

I instantly spy a first gen Monte... very VERY droolable.

I notice bunch of old ford pick ups... and yes, i was totally geekin over a 72 short/fleet f-100
Then i see a 9 foot stepside blown apart.... this thing had a custom tilt/dump bed, and a tilt front end too. Looked to be all steel, and totally custom... but the real cool part of it was the bed. These bed sides were CHERRY.
Now... notice, i didn't say "great shape by mid west standards"... I didn't say "awesome shape for a driver".
no.
they were abso-friggen-lutly PERFECT.

Here's luis's driver. Could be his daily driver, but I never asked.Either way it's a CLEAN 72 cheyenne super with all the typical upper end stuff... except A/C. Kinda stuck me as odd, but hey, if it had it, it probably wouldn't work anyways. Pretty cool 'ole big block truck.

Then inside we saw one of his many projects... this thing ozzes coolness like my longhorn ozzes oil. This thing had attitude, and a stance that'll put earthworms in the greter chicago area in danger... any worms in the street, will get decapitated by this sucker.
Yes... it IS that low.

It makes my burb look like a 4X4.
OK, enough screwin around already... Luis points to the back corner... we go back and there she is....

And plenty of room for the kids

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 11-02-2008 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
Longhorn Man

This thing is not only ugly... but it smells funny too.
But, Mike is totally ready to wet himself by now.

(i have been known to exadurate for effect)

Other than some car parts and trucker garbage thrown in the back, this thing is pretty much the way it was when Mike sold it.
Lets get the chain hooked up...

Get it all lined up....

(notice, the sticky straw....EWW!!!)

And it's time for me to put the camera down while I direct mike so it doesn't fall off the wagon.
I had to take this one... you OK under there mike?

There's luis in the background standing on the bobcat... and mike at the back of the truck

Folks... this is history in the making. A man and his truck, finally reunited after many many nights of laying in bed wondering if he'd ever see his baby again.
Well, ok, maybe not that bad...

We go and shoot the poop for a little bit, then we hit the road again.
I check the lights again.... you know, just for sh!ts and giggles... and what do you know.... that right rear turn/brake is out again.
oh well.
We try to get out of Chicago... again, left from right, up from down... trying to re-learn a truck now with way more weight on the bumper... but it's all good. The brakes are making a little noise. But, they still work... kinda.
Well, I'm drivin down the street, still in chicago land, and I need a cigg. but, it's a non smoking flight.
So i pull into a parking lot to look at this light again. (good cover huh?) As I am laying on the pavement messin with the light, I'm on my second cigg, and this cat pulls up and starts askin about the truck... basicly a WTF is this thing kinda convorsation. He seemed to know whats what though. We talk to him for a few minuits, and then hit the road.
Not before noticing this truck has bees in it. Bees.. wasps, yellow jackets... I don't know WHAT KIND... I just know I had about 4 or 5 screwin with me.
I hate flying critters that try to hurt me.
And no, the light still doesn't work.
Rollin down the highway (non interstate) a guy pulls up on the drivers side and tells me to roll down the window... he's shootin a million questions about it. Then at the next light, he's on the passenger side with a million more questions... then at the next light he's commenting on being from Columbus (very close to where I am for the record) but moved over there 7 years ago, still talkin bout the truck too. He also lets me know i have a brake light out.
Honestly, the dude is kinda wiggin me out a bit. I see about 10 miles later, and he is still on our bumper. So when the next light turns yellow, I nail it, and leave him sitting at the intersction as I try to set a land speed record.
The whole return trip is going flawlessly, a few thumbs up here and there, but it dies down as we get back on the 2 lane plack top roads.
We go by this classic car sales place. We noticed it on the way west, so we stop there for 45 min or so to look at some of the neat stuff there.
And let me tell you, they had some NEAT stuff.
Check out www.tntclassiccars.com
Lots of neat 'memorabilia' the old kind and the new kind, and a BUNCh of real neat cars. I was foaming at the mouth and ready to ask for a 14k loan on this 68 cougar (my first car was like this, but junk... and I WILL have another)

Mike was wanting this old 62 (I think) plymouth wagon. it was neat... but I was too buisy wanting the cougar

We go through some small town in western ohio that's doing there trick or treat, kids all over the down town, hot young moms with them... it was great! We see a 71/72 short bed step side fire truck going up and down the streets with his lights flashing... looked pretty sweet, but i only saw it for a second, gotta try not to run over any kids, people tend to frown on that.

So we get into another little nothing town (rockford ohio), and it happens. Red and blue lights in the mirror.
CRAP.
Officer;
License and registration and proof of insurance please
Me;
yeah... about that... the rig and wagon are borrowed, here's my license, we're looking for the other stuff.
Mike;
Sir... I'm callin the owners now, trying to get you the info.. .the truck belongs to *insert owners name here* and the trailer to *insert owner's name here*
Officer;
OK, I'll run the info I have now... do you know why I pulled you two over?
Me;
Well, i KNOW i wasn't speeding (I was doing like 15 or 20 in a 25)
Officer;
You have a brake light and turn signal out
Me;
awww crap... wich one?
I ask if I can get out and have a smoke, explaining it's a non smoking rig.
He runs the info, names come back just as Mike said (from the Lic plate info) my lic comes back no warrants... and then it happens.
Both the officers start askin about the truck!
Well what exactly is this? I've never seen one like that.
Mike and I start explaining, and I light my second smoke... realizing my hand is shaking like a mo-fo.
I say it's natural reaction.
They give us a warning and the one officer instructs me "let the owner know about it when you get it home"
SWEEEET! i was told by an officer of the law to drive back and tell the owner.
Get out of jail free card! (I know it wouldn't hold up in court... but it sounds good and I can play stupid again if need be)
I tried getting a photo, but the red and blue LED light bar was so bright it flooded out the photos.
Bummer.

Other than that.... we got home with no more issues, and nothing falling off the trailer... that's always a good thing.
Mike and I goof off and screw around a bit before I head back home... another 50 miles, and I go to sleep for about 3 hrs... and go to work in the morning.
Now THAT... was hard.

And BTW... here's Mike's thread on it.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ghlight=fine69

All the above is somewhat acurate and fairly truthfull.

This trip and story has been brought to you by Mountain Dew, and Mike's uncontrolable urge to try and be as cool as me.

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 11-02-2008 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:02 PM   #4
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

The scariest part of all of this, is not the trailer etc.. its you n Mike together on a road trip.. The sticky straw fits in just right with you two (thats meant in a non gay way as someone is sure to twist that on me..)
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

^ So excited that he double-posts...

Good story so far, waiting for more... So how was the Steakhouse?

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:13 PM   #6
Longhorn Man

crap... I just lost 45 min wirth of typing. Let me go start ofer.
grrrrrr
Old 11-02-2008, 01:46 PM   #7
Longhorn Man

2nd post added.
Gettin ready to do the 3rd
Old 11-02-2008, 02:46 PM   #8
Longhorn Man

3rd is added...
And as far as I know, the sticky straw is still there.
Mike... I had a blast man.
luis... great meeting you. I wish i coulda taken a lot of that stuff off your hands for you!
Liz.... real funny!
Old 11-02-2008, 02:58 PM   #9
bad6772
Official Site Guitar Shredder

Went right by my house and did not even stop by......LOOOOOHHHHHHOOOOOZAAAAAERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Last edited by bad6772; 11-02-2008 at 02:59 PM.
bad6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:05 PM   #10
Longhorn Man

LOL! I even commented about that to mike. We just didn't have the time man.
I wanted to... I did.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:09 PM   #11
Josh
He's got mean nasty FANGS!

I think y'all just don't like tony anymore...

I remember that truck, that thing is badass. If you ever wanna sell it again lemme know
1969 C-10
1967 C-10 Panel
josh@67-72chevytrucks.com
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:17 PM   #12
Longhorn Man

oh man... don't say that... tony is still cool in our book.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:33 PM   #13
88JRFAN
LET'S GO RACIN'

Very cool road trip, as always.

Now mike needs to get the truck redone so we can see it's full beauty.

Get on him tony, he should be ashamed.

71 CHEVY 3/4 4X4 402 BB, th400/np205, dana44/eaton ho52 w/4:10-TOY

Rip El Jay
RIP BOBBO'S MOM
88JRFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:07 PM   #14
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
3rd is added...
And as far as I know, the sticky straw is still there.
Mike... I had a blast man.
luis... great meeting you. I wish i coulda taken a lot of that stuff off your hands for you!
Liz.... real funny!
Luis is one of the people I have not met that I really would like to one day.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:04 PM   #15
1956cameo

Looks like another great road trip. Mine always end up with me breaking down and getting po'd about the whole trip. Just like when I just picked up my 72 burb. Broke down in La Grange (yes, the town in the ZZ Top song). So that afternoon trip turned into a 2 day trip.
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:04 PM   #16
72 Super

Thats a cool story,it had me rolling Glad (fine69) got his baby back!

Ray
Old 11-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #17
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

great commentary Andy, and I'm glad to see the one of a kind original truck back in good hands.

Now get out there and get that thing back together!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:29 PM   #18
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Another great adventure. I had forgotten about that old truck. I thought Mike never sold anything and just stuck it on the back 40. Glad he has it back.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:12 AM   #19
fine69

Ah, and that is just how the trip really went.

I however didnt know Tony lived along the way. I would have made Andy stop.

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:13 AM   #20
Longhorn Man

bill, he does hold onto a lotta things... and hopefully, this one will be held onto also.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:23 AM   #21
fine69

Well, its very seldom that you get to buy back a truck in the same condition you sold it.

One day i might have more kids to haul around in it.

Board member #6

Old 11-03-2008, 12:37 AM   #22
BurnoutNova

You got pulled over by ohio cops and they didnt give you a ticket?

Ive driven I-80 from Nebraska to New York city a couple times to visit relatives, and EVERY FREAKING time in Ohio, either going to NY or coming home we get pulled over in Ohio, and have gotton a few tickets there... Probly could avoid if for not going 5mph over, but for some reason I continue to do it anyway lol
BurnoutNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:56 AM   #23
redneckgirl

Awesome! I'd love to make a road trip like that....well....except for the sticky straw
Old 11-03-2008, 02:07 AM   #24
fine69

Well, they were going to give us a ticket. But then Andy offered to let them give him a "full cavity" search.

All of a sudden i heard BANJO music.

I think you know the rest............

Board member #6

Old 11-03-2008, 02:27 AM   #25
chevy29267truck
Account Suspended

yeah i would love too make a road trip too myself
chevy29267truck is offline   Reply With Quote