The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2002, 04:52 PM   #1
72 Super

Buying frame ????

I know this seems like a dumb ?? I am trying to locate a clean damage free 72 longbed frame.

If I buy a bare frame is there really anyway to tell if it ever been in a accident of any kind.I know if it is really bad I could tell by my eyes but what about if its bent slightly would I be able to tell.

I,ve considered buy a complete truck,atleast I will know eveything lines up correct.

On my 72 That my father bought new,it has had frame damage and the right front wheel sets back farther than the left.Plus its rusted by the steering box so I want to get another frame.
Any help would be great.

Thanks
Old 08-22-2002, 05:02 PM   #2
ThreeQuarter

One way to tell if it's been on a frame straightener is to look for elongated holes at each of the rail, like in the bumper bracket holes. The machine will strectch and push the frame until it's square again and usually cannot avoid leaving gashes and elongated holes where it attaches. Of course, this only applies to frames that have been fixed (still never the same as one that's never been wrecked) or have had had an attempt at fixing. Good luck!
ThreeQuarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 05:41 PM   #3
ebfabman

gmcblu, it depends on who's doing it. I've fixed many frames over the years and if your life depended on being able to tell if it was ever wrecked and repaired, well... better have your life insurance in order.....
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 06:05 PM   #4
>X<
registered IWATA user

i ahve a 3/4 ton thats neve been in a wreck and is still together, i am looking for a w wheel drive frame for it, the 3/4 ton frame is for sale, its only been off the road for a couple years, sway bar, dana 60, etc, let me know by email if you want some pics, make me an offer if your interested
Attached Images

Take off that Von Dutch hat before i stab you with a 000 Mack.
>X< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 09:49 PM   #5
ThreeQuarter

But then, we all know that eb does bodywork on a different level than your run-of-the mill body shop.

eb, is looking for gashes and stretched holes a good indicator, then? Or is there something else to look for?
ThreeQuarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 10:19 PM   #6
ebfabman

It depends on how you tie down or anchor the vehicle. I use some custom made tie downs that are smooth jawed so they won't leave a mark. When I pull I use several clamps to spread force over a larger area.

I think a good visual inspection is still the best way to see what you're getting. There are some simple ways to measure a frame and suspension to see if everything is in proper location.

gmcblu, you are right. if you see stretched holes or clamp marks on the frame, those would be some indication of it being pulled on, whether on a frame machine or out of a ditch.
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 01:58 AM   #7
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by seanh71
i ahve a 3/4 ton thats neve been in a wreck and is still together, i am looking for a w wheel drive frame for it, the 3/4 ton frame is for sale, its only been off the road for a couple years, sway bar, dana 60, etc, let me know by email if you want some pics, make me an offer if your interested
sean! whats your palns with the body of that truck ??
looks like a very clean original body !

just wonderin'

72 Super, good luck with frame deal, you should be able to find a nice complete longframe or rolling chassis for cheap, if you were down here you could get an undamaged leaf 71 rolling chassis for cheap, but youre not here, so,,

happy hunting, hope you find what you need and get accomplished what you hope for
Fast68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 03:20 PM   #8
>X<
registered IWATA user

fast------- my plans for that body were to drop the whole thing on a 73-87 4x4 frame, as soon as i find one, i am in teh process of getting a motor now, but its pretty perfect, way better than my 71 in my avatar, I bought it from a guy that builds motors in my subdivision, it was a deal, it was at his parents house and he was in florida, so i offered his parents 200 for it but they said its in his name, so i called him and ended up paying 800 for it, BUT it has a dana 60, PERECT a/c cab with 27 options, perfect original carpet, turbo 400, tilt, etc, 402 taken apart, comp cams k kit(300 bucks) in the box, edelbrock 750 in the box, wiseco billet air cleaner with huge k&n(120 total) in the box, new gaskets, and a bench seat from a 91 chevy pickup, also has eagle alloy rims, i couldnt pass it up, he thought he was ripping me off too, i already made half of my money back by selling the sliding back glass, and i traded the carb and the tranny to a guy for a 69 chevy swb coil spring frame with crappy cab on it, but i got some good glass out of the 69, and a swb frame, so it was good, but now i need that car back and dont need the frame anymore, i'm an idoit for trading that **** off

Take off that Von Dutch hat before i stab you with a 000 Mack.
>X< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 06:46 PM   #9
72 Super

Thanks for the replies.As I said before the frame on the truck now has been fixed and I could definitly tell something like that.Hope I can find a good one with no damage.

seanh71,thanks for the offer but I need a 1/2 ton frame.