The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2015, 08:49 PM   #1
1-ton of fun
polishing a turd

Panhard on solid front axle?

Has anybody added a pan hard bar when keeping the stock front straight axle?

Just thinking that would be a good addition. We are keeping the solid front axle on my sons 55. Already have an anti sway bar.

My 2001 f250 was a parallel leaf spring front end similar to the 1955 Chevy layout except it had a panhard bar in front. Thinking that it would benefit this old truck as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
1-ton of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:51 PM   #2
Speedbumpauto

Re: Panhard on solid front axle?

Since any panhard bar swings in an arc, I can't see how that would work on a leaf spring set up....but if the factory did it??
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:29 AM   #3
1project2many

Panhard / Watts linkages prevent the axle moving side to side in relation to the frame. Three and four link coil sprung axles usually see the most benefit. Leaf springs have a natural tendency to resist this movement so lateral linkage is not generally used. Lifted 4X4 trucks sometimes use a lateral link due to the mechanical advantage created by the large distance between axle mounting point and spring mounting points. It takes planning as the arc described by the panhard has to be centered in the range of movement of the axle. Stock height leaf sprung vehicles will generally see the least amount of improvement from the work invested. Not to say there would be no change, but imo these trucks are better served by working to eliminate body roll due to high CG and to move CG away from front axle toward rear axle. Balance your sway bars front and rear to the vehicle weight, replace the small tie rod, drag link, and steering knuckles with less flexible parts, and consider adjusting the spring pack to match the weight of the vehicle as driven (no more hauling stuff like a truck!) and you'll be amazed at what a "stock" truck can feel like.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:09 PM   #4
whitedog76

Are you thinking of a Sway Bar?

A panhard would have no benefit, since the parallel leaves are self centering.

I know Ford had a parallell straight axle setup at one time, but they used a radius arm to keep everything centered.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:25 AM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Ford used a track bar on a few 4x4 s. The F250 super duty with leaf springs and some with coil front suspension are ones I remember having them.

The bar on an F250 leaf spring front end is actually an "anti wobble" bar. Fords front end can get a dangerous death wobble at higher speeds and this eliminates that.

The bar on a coil front end is an actual track bar to center the suspension.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:39 PM   #6
Cautrell05

The reason Ford ran a panhard bar with the leaf springs is because they run the steering sideways to the axle. When the drag link pushes sideways on the steering knuckle it will either turn the wheels, or push the axle sideways. Makes for very unprecise steering.
Cautrell05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:00 PM   #7
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cautrell05 View Post
The reason Ford ran a panhard bar with the leaf springs is because they run the steering sideways to the axle. When the drag link pushes sideways on the steering knuckle it will either turn the wheels, or push the axle sideways. Makes for very unprecise steering.
That's the wobble I mentioned
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:49 PM   #8
mr48chev

If you are running a cross steering setup it would be a good thing to have. Cauthre1105 gave an excellent explanation in post #6.

If you have regular drag link style steering it isn't going to compensate for worn or bad parts or in some case a tire and wheel combo that doesn't want to drive right on the truck.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:18 AM   #9
yossarian19

Jeep wranglers came with panhard rods before they switched to coil springs in front.
With a smaller and stiffer bushing package it seems less necessary to throw in a panhard rod. The large cushy rubber that makers switched to for NVH also allow the axle to move around under the chassis. On our trucks, I suppose the leaf pack might twist some but relative motion to the frame has got to be fairly minimal, right?
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:20 PM   #10
Old Crow

I took the panhards off every Wrangler YJ I've ever owned(3). They come with bars front and rear, One end of each bar has a tie rod type end that wears out and makes noise every bump you hit. My current Jeep has 344,000 miles with no adverse effects from not having the panhards.

'54 Chevy Panel, '00 Bounder 36S, '95 Jeep YJ
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote