The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2012, 02:02 AM   #1
chevybuilder18

78 silverado stepside her names 'Quicksilver'

Hey everyone, as the title states im finally able to build my truck to what i want. I never thought the day would come whenever id make a build thread. But now its time. This is my first real project, where i have bought doors, new rear bumper, and first truck ive ever owned and drove. Plus the stepside might be all rusted, but that bed aint being replaced since the box is pretty much in decent condition, and the fact i have seen lowered custom c10 stepsides that have melted my heart. I coined the name Quicksilver from the old red paint as mercury is red and its often called quicksilver. and also from the name silverado, in my eyes the meaning of my trucks name is 'Hot silverado'. they made this truck have cruise control, which im keeping and restoring. But other things will change. V belt to Serpentine, lowering, 15X10 repro steely bowtie rear rims, front 15X8 repro rims steelys are of very much desire in future times.

Any ways, Right now im currently building the doors. Window channels will be in tomorrow after i put the window cranks in then it will all be finished. Door cards will be missed match, but i plan on repainting these decently handle objects. Ill post pics of it tomorrow. Up coming weeks will be a show of lowering the truck and how i did that. Hope you guys enjoy.
Posted via Mobile Device
chevybuilder18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
chevybuilder18

Re: 78 silverado stepside her names 'Quicksilver'

sorry guys on the photos, but my phones dead and its raining. + im taking a break from this. just gonna warn you guys im really stressed that not all my parts are there
Old 11-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
JRANGER

Look forward to your build
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
rusty76

Me too.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
chevybuilder18

Thanks! me too hopefully i can get this ball rolling but its frustrating. i dont have the money for the rental use of a spring compressor to do the front springs, and i dont got the U bolts for the flip kit in the rear. i only got one door on and it doesnt have the window seal at the bottom of the sill on the outside yet i got the inside seals. took it off the old doors and put the pieces somewhere. trying to find em. gonna post pics of before and after.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
chevybuilder18

The first one is the before when i bought her. She was pretty bad off. The doors were all screwed up. Rust and wasps plagued the doors lol. They finally went away the moment i moved it far from where it sat for 5 years.
Attached Images

Last edited by chevybuilder18; 11-20-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:06 AM   #7
chevybuilder18

Ok so i have yet to show any photos of the passenger side door or any of the specifics. right now im working on getting the serpentine belt system in, but i have no present metric bolts to bolt the brackets to the block. since im a budget builder, im gonna do as much as possible to make this all work and we have a nice looking truck i can show off and reliably drive. the upper and lower ball joints look great, they have been replace and well taken care of. this means i can install the drop spindles earlier than expected. im also gonna drop the rear axle and show off my bed. (its hidieous but ill take the fenders off and drive with just the box intill more money arrives). i know i promised or told you i would have photos of the truck but its my only driving maching i have. im thinking about 'spray' painting the front end black, instead of all grey, and doing that to the cab for extra protection from the elements plus the added protection. i am also thinking about doing the bed a chevy orange and black to kind of keep the rust from getting much worse. this is paint cans i have lying around so im just gonna make good use of every drop since im not doing anything else with it.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:53 PM   #8
chevybuilder18

To make things more intresting, id like to add progress of this vehicle are not being done inside a closed garage... i live in a APT. and its kind of hard to keep parts in order. so i have to literatly keep them in my dads apt, so i can Keep the thieves from groping my pieces.. any way that has not slowed me down. its 30 degrees out and im in pants, car hart bibs, two pairs of gloves and nothings phased me. got the power steering pump and ac pump bracket on the drivers side but theres only 2 bolt holes for these brackets on the head. one on the passenger side.. so im scratching my head.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:55 PM   #9
JRANGER

yeah ill need pics as I need to mount mine too!! I as well was out in the cold 40 degree weather working too! No gloves but I did fire up my wood burning stove in the open air which helped a little as i stripped paint and painted....

Glad you making progress...I work out of my driveway so i feel your pain....Only diff is i keep my parts in a spare bedroom lol
Old 11-25-2012, 12:18 AM   #10
chevybuilder18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRANGER View Post
yeah ill need pics as I need to mount mine too!! I as well was out in the cold 40 degree weather working too! No gloves but I did fire up my wood burning stove in the open air which helped a little as i stripped paint and painted....

Glad you making progress...I work out of my driveway so i feel your pain....Only diff is i keep my parts in a spare bedroom lol
Haha glad im not the only one... I have intil now am getting the courage to say... My 400 bare block is sitting in a tote in another bigger closet in another bed room. the cylinder heads are sitting under my captains bed, and so are the box pistons, rods, valves crank ect. in my pantry is my tools and power tools.... Crazy but some how some way these things are safe and concealed from any visitors, glad im single for now
Old 11-25-2012, 12:22 AM   #11
JRANGER

lol yeah being single helps but my engine is in the truck so i dont have that going on LOL!
Old 11-25-2012, 12:47 AM   #12
chevybuilder18

Quote:
lol yeah being single helps but my engine is in the truck so i dont have that going on LOL!
Yea i would put the bare block in the truck bed, but with the right size tote, it makes for great storage. Plus theres people in this town i cant trust as far as i can throw a big block. so yea its neatly tucked away in the closet. so wish i had a garage! so many things i could store.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:50 AM   #13
chevybuilder18

J, i have posted something for me and you up on the 88-90 something about the serpentine. Its under the name "can you show me your serpentine drive"
Old 11-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #14
JRANGER

ok maybe i miss read it ...i was referring to the AC brackets lol
Old 11-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #15
chevybuilder18

Quote:
ok maybe i miss read it ...i was referring to the AC brackets lol
Ok well thats easy for me but probably not you. you could switch the ac out with the alternator and put it on the passenger side if you have the right brackets. are you putting aluminum brackets on ? Also quick update i have serpentine in and i have the correct plug in for the CS130. I already know which wires to run. reverse style pump everything is in order just my idler tensioner alternator bracket on the passenger side is all out of order because theres only one bolt hole in the head.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #16
chevybuilder18

The serpentine belt drive is finally installed already got the CS130 alternator hooked up will post a video later
Old 11-29-2012, 12:37 AM   #17
chevybuilder18

Well i did some stuff today, the fender on passenger side wouldnt alow my door to close. its brand new. but then after messing around with my door hinge brackets, my door still doesnt line up. i believe these brackets are newer.... im going to drill these things out so my door can slide towards the back and hit the latch dead on. serpentine is on the truck it runs! Hope you guys likehttp://youtu.be/2a25vxwboPA
Old 11-29-2012, 12:39 AM   #18
JRANGER

How is your door lining up? Im confused and have you check the pins in them? They can go bad and cause issues and the hinges as slide over time too
Old 11-29-2012, 01:11 AM   #19
chevybuilder18

Quote:
How is your door lining up? Im confused and have you check the pins in them? They can go bad and cause issues and the hinges as slide over time too
Idk some how the cab is pulling the dang mounts towards the cab. i try to shut it and there i a gap between the back of the cab and the door, and it doesnt end there, the door is binding near the top front where the wing is, right where the door is suppose to close, the metal hits the top of the cab. how do you like my serpentine and what do think of the sound of thrush glass packs? also i dont have my headers, buddy wanted his headers back cause his manifold fell apart. he got new ones, and is giving em back. so yea im running the manifolds
Old 11-29-2012, 01:19 AM   #20
JRANGER

The serpentine setup looks good...Ive heard the glass packs sound good...Im thinking about putting their welded mufflers on my truck...They are suppose to be like 40 series flowmasters.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:10 AM   #21
chevybuilder18

Quote:
The serpentine setup looks good...Ive heard the glass packs sound good...Im thinking about putting their welded mufflers on my truck...They are suppose to be like 40 series flowmasters.
i really wanna do the 2 1/2 exhaust pipe on this because the glass packs are meant for it and so are my 2 1/2 header collectors. but the cross member is not allowing me to run the 2 1/2 over it.... so im thinking newly designed dual exhaust, keeping the glass packs and putting in an x pipe.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #22
JRANGER

hmmm yeah i want to run 2 1/2 as well but i havent looked into that because its just not on the list yet lol
Old 11-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #23
chevybuilder18

Quote:
Look forward to your build
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
Me too.
thanks guys
Old 11-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #24
chevybuilder18

Quote:
hmmm yeah i want to run 2 1/2 as well but i havent looked into that because its just not on the list yet lol
can you copy your build thread link and post it? id like to see what your poking around with
Old 11-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #25
JRANGER

haha

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=505748 there a go