The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2015, 07:37 PM   #1
Obsidiansnow69

a little advice

I have a bit of an issue, and Im not sure where to go from here.

I took my truck into a shop for some work, had blowby, pretty heavy oil leak. Long story short, broken piston rings, needed rebuilt. I paid half up front on 4/1, was told 3 to 3 and a half weeks turn around. 3 weeks in i called to check up on it, got the usual "just waiting on one more part" will be done a couple days after it comes in...

Since then I've been calling twice a week, getting told every lie possible, even to the point where the excuses are starting to contradict each other. Getting very upset. This last Wednsday I get a call from the new manager of the shop, apparently they had some turn around in staff and the guy couldn't even find any paperwork on my situation when I called. He said the engine was at the machine shop waiting to be paid for and picked up, then put back together and since he talked to me and found out what the deal was, he was going to call them and get it picked up and paid for and that he would call me back.

2 days have gone by and I called, once again getting the run around, "we'll call you back in 30 when the guy working your truck gets back in" bs. Their response was they weren't able to get the engine wed due to an employee quitting and another one getting in a car accident, but that he thinks they went to get it yesterday.

Now, I have it from the guy they apparently outsourced the engine work to who called me without the shops knowledge that the engine has been machined and waiting at the machine shop since 4/23 for payment.

I'm not really sure where i should go now. Start legal action, get my truck back and pay the machine shop myself and have the outside mechanic finish the work?

Seeing as it's Friday I can't really get anything started til Monday, but boy do I need to vent this weekend and get my **** in order for a long Monday.
Obsidiansnow69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:43 PM   #2
aod92

Re: a little advice

If the shop is being this shady now I wouldn't let them go any further. I would pay the machine shop, and pick up my motor and truck. Sounds like the shop is broke and they can't afford to pick up the motor.
aod92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:56 PM   #3
swamp rat

The largest problem is they cant find your paperwork, don't you have any copys of an estimate or the work order? Can you document somehow that you authorised them to do the work and what has transpired?

I'm leaning toward getting your truck back and taking it somewhere else, even if it means picking up the tab on the engine work at the machine shop, then another problem is the mechanic shop releasing the truck and parts back to you.

I wouldn't hesitate to contact the attorney general about it, or a lawyer as this is absolutly a can of worms.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:03 PM   #4
Wizo

Had the same problem with my truck when it was being painted. one freaking excuse after another and it was four months behind schedule. So I rented a trailer and several of my friends And I Went and paid the man visit.. I paid him off for the job even though it wasn't done and loaded it onto the trailer. I was smart though and took several of my friends with me. We are all well versed in our second amendment rights and carried our rights out of sight if you catch my drift in. Now, I am now in no way condoning violence or a show of force but Sometimes, enough is enough and unfortunately you just have to cut your losses. hopefully there is someone here on the forum in your local area that can help to recommend a machine shops and help you finish your engine. Best of luck to you and I hope you get that engine done. Cheers man it's Friday.
Wizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:31 PM   #5
hugger6933

Man that sucks,being a shop owner I hate to see people get ripped off as much as I hate being ripped off myself. It seems that some people forget the Golden rule if they take on work. Kinda sounds to me the guys left the shop cause they couldn't get paid and on top of that they can't pay for your motor to get it out of hock. I would say go get your truck, but if they are in money trouble he may want you to pay for the job,pay what they have done. Like if you put a deposit of 1/4 down and the job [sounds to me ] is only half done pay another 1/4. Pleading to the shop owners sense of decency and fairness if you have to but you should take someone along that is not as emotional charged or vetted in this situation to help and also be a witness to the events that may transpire. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:48 PM   #6
kwmech

I'd show up with a trailer around the corner. Find out exactly what's going on and where the engine is and all the related parts. Leave, come back with trailer and load everything up and leave. I am a shop owner. Places like this is what gives the industry a bad name. There are good shops out there that do a good job in a reasonable time frame. 6 weeks for a small block rebuild is too much. I could do that in 2 weeks----3 tops, depending on the back log in the machine shop.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:50 PM   #7
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Have a police officer with you when you go in with the trailer.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:55 PM   #8
kwmech

Not a bad idea ^^
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:01 PM   #9
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidiansnow69 View Post

Now, I have it from the guy they apparently outsourced the engine work to who called me without the shops knowledge that the engine has been machined and waiting at the machine shop since 4/23 for payment.
Work with the guy that has the engine. Tell him you will pay him for the engine if he can get your truck and put it in for you. Cannot hurt to get try and enlist his help, since he has a dog in the fight too. You can go with him and get your truck. Sometimes these guy know each other and can get things done.

Never pay up front... he has your truck that's collateral enough. Now you need to get your truck... then it's small claims court to recoup what you already paid. In this day and age you cannot take buddies and beat work or money out of him... that don't fly no more. Be cool, get your truck back.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:10 PM   #10
Ozzy2013

Go get your truck!
Ozzy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:49 PM   #11
scampr

I am curious about a update. I was in the business for years and people like that make everyone look bad. Like someone else said the co is having money issues most likely.Go get it and soon before they close the doors . Once that happens the headache will really begin. Good luck getting your truck and ALL the parts.
scampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:22 PM   #12
Chevy Fan Always

Pay the shop, get the truck back, then file in small claims court. In Ohio the most you can recover is 3000.00. I had to use it once, the system worked.
Chevy Fan Always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:03 PM   #13
Obsidiansnow69

appreciate all the responses and concern.

currently i'm in contact with the machine shop that has my engine block, and the builder who has my truck. The repair shop that is causing all the issues, has finally admitted they didn't have the cash to get it from the machine shop. If I cut the shop out and work directly with the builder and machine shop, i wont be out any extra money then i expected to pay in the first place.

Taking them to small claims court is still an option, but the likely hood is that they will just file bankruptcy and i wont get anything.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:08 PM   #14
71swb4x4

Quote:
Taking them to small claims court is still an option, but the likely hood is that they will just file bankruptcy and i wont get anything.
If they declare bankruptcy over one small claims case then they are in a world of hurt right now.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:34 PM   #15
Obsidiansnow69

I am not the only person to be dealing with this shop at the moment from what I'm hearing.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:33 PM   #16
treveiger

Hate when businesses make other businesses get bad reps when they pull stuff like this. Happens in all kinds of business. One nice thing though is if you can prove your not like this you'll have work comming out of your ears. Best of luck with your truck.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:55 PM   #17
my67c20

How did you find out about this shop? It seems, and not to sound mean, but often times people do not do their homework, then can't understand how this can happen. I realize that sometimes, it is a budget decision, but when it comes to certain things, like money, it pays to do your research. I have learned over the years, that the line "my buddy has a guy", really means "i don't know anything about this place, but odds are he is going to screw you, and when he does just don't mention that i was involved". If i was in your shoes, doors would be getting knocked on, and and stuff would be getting picked up regardless of what other shops agree to. Negotiate payment with these places, get your stuff back, and add this to the list of life lessons.
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:33 PM   #18
chip46wis

Very sorry to hear this----its how I got my 1956 chev truck---the PO had been ripped off by 2 --reputable-- shops for almost $10,000 I bought it for $2000 delivered its now about 50% done and the PO comes to see it occasionally.
chip46wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:54 PM   #19
diggerbob

Sounds like the same kind of run around I got from a guy in Mississippi who was supposed to do some body work on my truck. Rather than take more aggravation off of the lying SOB, I would get the truck back ASAP.
diggerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:53 AM   #20
mechanicalman

Get the engine/parts back from the machine shop for whatever you have to pay then get the police to go to the shop with you to retrieve all your property. Do NOT agree to pay them for any parts they have ordered and not installed as it's not your problem and it's not part of the initial agreement due to the fact they were not installed as agreed. Start tape recording all phone and face to face conversations, then take them to small claims court for what they owe you ASAP before they declare bankruptcy. It's imperative to get a judgment against them before they declare.

If you live in a place where they have an investigative news program you might try to get them involved.

Good luck, man I hate thieves.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:33 AM   #21
markmdz

Quote:
appreciate all the responses and concern.

currently i'm in contact with the machine shop that has my engine block, and the builder who has my truck. The repair shop that is causing all the issues, has finally admitted they didn't have the cash to get it from the machine shop. If I cut the shop out and work directly with the builder and machine shop, i wont be out any extra money then i expected to pay in the first place.

IMHO, if you're not out any extra money and can get the truck back from them, just do that then square up with the machine shop owner directly. I'd be willing to bet you'll get a better rate on the machine work by dealing with him directly rather than paying through the shady shop anyway.

...then just move on from that shop, let them deal with their own headaches and chalk it up to a dodged bullet by being out only time and no extra money.

A place like that will not survive anyway and doesn't seem worth it to pursue them and lose more time in that process.

Best of luck with it.
markmdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:03 AM   #22
57larry

so what's going on today? very sad story here
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote