The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2020, 05:30 PM   #26
Zippi

Re: *Turn Signal Not working*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
Using your test light check for voltage on the wire just before it enters the bulb socket. If voltage is present, suspect the bulb socket.. You already stated the socket contacts are out of alignment. Probing the contact inside the socket is not all conclusive.. It may not be making good tight connection with the bulb's contacts.. I've suspected all along that you have a bad bulb socket, or possibly it's not grounded properly...
Yup....that's my goal for tomorrow is checking the wires before the socket. Hope that's it. I was going to unbolt the light base to clean it and check closer but I couldn't get the chrome lense cover off as the top chrome grill bars is holding it in place. May have to check into how to pull that.
Zippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 05:50 PM   #27
RustyPile

Here's a test you might try.. Buy a new dual contact bulb socket for an 1157 bulb, along with an alligator clip large enough to grip around the socket.. Attach a wire to the alligator clip and wire up the socket to the harness using jumper wires.. Attach a wire to the big alligator clip and use it to ground the socket. Be sure the socket is well grounded and run the turn signals through their paces.. If the bulb in the test socket blinks as it should, you'll know for sure the socket on the truck is bad..
RustyPile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:14 PM   #28
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: *Turn Signal Not working*

Yes a test light should make it flash. I've never had one that didn't. But you are correct that the flasher should be good. I would check the tit's inside the connection and see if they have connection. If the truck lights are on then one of them should be hot the whole time, if the turn signal is on then one should flash also.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:22 PM   #29
Zippi

Did some more testing this morning. I have green and black wires going to both turn signal buckets. All test were done with the passengers side turn signal bucket and socket removed. Just the back and green wires hanging down. On the passengers side I tried to straighten the green wire contact inside the socket and it broke off. Need to get a new one now.

1) I probed the wires on the plug on the steering column side that I thought were for the turn signals. Only one would flash which was the drivers side. I thinking the dark blue is for the passengers side but it would not flash.

2) With the ignition on and no lights or turn signals on there is no power to any wires at both turn signals.

3) With the ignition on and the parking lights on there is power to the green wire on the drivers side and power to the black wire on the passengers side.

4) With the ignition on and using the turn signal on the drivers side the black wire flashes. No flashing from either wire on the passengers side.

Update,

I probed all the wires on the plug coming from the column. On the engine side of the firewall I find no wire that will flash for the passengers side, only the drivers side. Could I splice into the wires on the column plug and run a new wire to the passengers side turn signal? If so. Which one since two wire flash?
Attached Images

Last edited by Zippi; 04-05-2020 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:23 PM   #30
dmjlambert

I recommend do not worry about flashing or not flashing until you actually get a bulb on it and glowing. (other than the bulb that is in the tester. The amount of current drawn by a regular bulb is critical to most flasher modules. Does the back right turn signal light flash?
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 03:41 PM   #31
Zippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
I recommend do not worry about flashing or not flashing until you actually get a bulb on it and glowing. (other than the bulb that is in the tester. The amount of current drawn by a regular bulb is critical to most flasher modules. Does the back right turn signal light flash?
Back right turn signal does flash. All lights work as they should except the passengers side front turn signal. Does it seem odd that two wires on the column will flash for the passengers side? Getting ready to try and google the socket that has a bracket attached to it. Didn't see one at Classic Parts earlier. Can I buy just the two contacts that fit inside the socket at the auto parts store?
Old 04-05-2020, 04:11 PM   #32
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippi View Post
Did some more testing this morning. I have green and black wires going to both turn signal buckets. All test were done with the passengers side turn signal bucket and socket removed. Just the back and green wires hanging down. On the passengers side I tried to straighten the green wire contact inside the socket and it broke off. Need to get a new one now.

1) I probed the wires on the plug on the steering column side that I thought were for the turn signals. Only one would flash which was the drivers side. I thinking the dark blue is for the passengers side but it would not flash.

2) With the ignition on and no lights or turn signals on there is no power to any wires at both turn signals.

3) With the ignition on and the parking lights on there is power to the green wire on the drivers side and power to the black wire on the passengers side.

4) With the ignition on and using the turn signal on the drivers side the black wire flashes. No flashing from either wire on the passengers side.

Update,

I probed all the wires on the plug coming from the column. On the engine side of the firewall I find no wire that will flash for the passengers side, only the drivers side. Could I splice into the wires on the column plug and run a new wire to the passengers side turn signal? If so. Which one since two wire flash?
The green wire at the bulb socket is not the other end of the green wire at the column harness.. You MUST disregard the wire colors in the main harness that has been added to your truck. Those bulb sockets you have are "universal sockets". Their color means nothing provided they are connected properly at the column harness. The blue wire in the column harness is the right front turn signal wire, regardless of the color at the socket.. Following my color guide I posted previously, conduct the test I posted earlier TO THE LETTER.. Do the testing at the column connector with everything connected and in place including the bulbs and sockets.. If you have proper current flow there, the turn signal switch is good.. You can work forward from the column connector, or work backward from the bulb socket.. Don't get side tracked testing other circuits.. Your problem is on the blue wire circuit.. It may change color somewhere along the line, but it's still the same circuit...
Old 04-05-2020, 04:18 PM   #33
dmjlambert

Edit: my other comments deleted, I think RustyPile is providing you better answers...
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:22 PM   #34
RustyPile

Quote:
Back right turn signal does flash. All lights work as they should except the passengers side front turn signal. Does it seem odd that two wires on the column will flash for the passengers side? Getting ready to try and google the socket that has a bracket attached to it. Didn't see one at Classic Parts earlier. Can I buy just the two contacts that fit inside the socket at the auto parts store?
Doesn't seem strange at all.. Actually there should be 3 flashing --- one from the flasher unit, and one each for the front and rear.. The power comes from the flasher unit, into the turn signal switch, through the switch and out to the selected directional lights.. That was all explained in my color guide post...

With all due respect Zippi, your biggest problem is you don't understand how the electrical system works.. You have my phone number.. Call me and I'll explain how all that works..
Old 04-05-2020, 04:36 PM   #35
Zippi

Quote:
Doesn't seem strange at all.. Actually there should be 3 flashing --- one from the flasher unit, and one each for the front and rear.. The power comes from the flasher unit, into the turn signal switch, through the switch and out to the selected directional lights.. That was all explained in my color guide post...

With all due respect Zippi, your biggest problem is you don't understand how the electrical system works.. You have my phone number.. Call me and I'll explain how all that works..
Ok....calling it quites for the day but I do not have turn signal lights on the dash. I checked the blue wire at bottom of the column and with the ignition on and the right turn signal on there is no power at the blue wire. I will try and give you a call tomorrow. What time is best for you?
Old 04-05-2020, 04:47 PM   #36
RustyPile

Quote:
Ok....calling it quites for the day but I do not have turn signal lights on the dash. I checked the blue wire at bottom of the column and with the ignition on and the right turn signal on there is no power at the blue wire. I will try and give you a call tomorrow. What time is best for you?
Did you conduct that test with everything hooked up?? If so, that sounds like a bad turn signal switch..

Tomorrow is not a good day for me.. I'm retired but I have some things planned that will take most of the day.. Today is really best for me..
Old 04-05-2020, 05:08 PM   #37
Zippi

Quote:
Did you conduct that test with everything hooked up?? If so, that sounds like a bad turn signal switch..

Tomorrow is not a good day for me.. I'm retired but I have some things planned that will take most of the day.. Today is really best for me..
Just PMed you.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:19 PM   #38
Zippi

RustPile,

It was nice talking with you and I will post the results of my findings whenever I can get the parts and get it swapped out. Here are a couple pics of my 49 pickup. Thanks for the help.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2020, 09:27 PM   #39
RustyPile

Nice looking truck.. Be sure to use fender covers when working on it...
Old 04-06-2020, 10:18 AM   #40
Zippi

Ok....Got my lock plate compressor this morning and got the plate removed. I can not get the plug at the bottom of the steering column to come up through the column. I'm thinking the other plug which is not being used it causing the turn signal plug to get wedged in the column. Can it be cut off so I can pull it out of the column to give more room for the turn signal plug to come through the column? Just not sure if there are other wires on the other side of the turn signal lever going back down the column.
Attached Images

Last edited by Zippi; 04-06-2020 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:04 PM   #41
RustyPile

Sorry for the delay in responding.. I've been busy..

Since I'm not there to look at the way the column is wired, what wires are used and which ones aren't used, my advice is don't cut any wires,, Trust me, the turn signal harness will fit through the space.. How do you think all those wires got there in the beginning?? Tuck the plug up tight along the ribbon. help it get started, pushing on the plug and lightly tugging on the switch.. It will fit...
Old 04-06-2020, 04:37 PM   #42
Zippi

Ok, project is complete with all turn signals working and I got the emergency flasher working as well. RustyPile you are correct both ribbons had to go down the column but......there is a plastic shield that was preventing the plugs from going up the column. I had to unbolt the column from the underside of the dash and loosen the 4 bolts that were fastened to column on the sides and then with a pair of pliers I was able to pull the plastic shield out. Once that was done it was like dropping a bucket down a well. The extra plug was not connected to anything so I cut all the wires inside the column under the turn signal switch. My old 49 does not use cruise control or the wipers from the lever. I just like a cleaner install. I purchased 2 new light sockets from Tuckersparts.com and they were shipped today. I used my test light on the wires on the passengers side turn signal and it now flashes. Never had that recently. I appreciate everyone's help that participated in my issue with the turn signal.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2020, 03:50 PM   #43
Zippi

Just a quick update. My new Light socket came in today. Got it wired up and the passenger side front turn signal works as it should as I fugured it would. A special thanks to RustyPile who is a man of great knowledge on the electrical workings of the vehicles we love to drive.