The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2020, 11:00 PM   #1
zac

Body work experts, how would you deal with this?

Been collecting parts to finally fix up my '70 K10. Redid a square body to practice my welding. I'm as good as I'm going to get. The post between the passenger front and third door was rotted when I bought the truck. Guy east of Atlanta cut one off an ambulance he was parting out, so I have the part. Just sort of at a loss as to how to go about it. More complex I think than anything I've done. Obviously it's structural, so just butt welding won't cut it. I didn't take a pic underneath, but the original floor support is in good condition. I should be able just to bolt it to the back of the new post. Thanks
Attached Images

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 11:40 PM   #2
randy500
Account Suspended

Re: Body work experts, how would you deal with this?

Take both doors off.
Take measurements, front to back and roof to floor of B pillar, mark measuring points and dimensions in sharpie on the truck.
Cut the spotwelds on front and rear rocker panels of truck and donor part to dissect.
The inner part bolts on with the 2 bolts going upward.
The lower B pillar also bolts on, problem is i think its also spot welded.

I would separate the inner trim/skin from the outer on the donor (separating them makes it easier to get a nice tight fit on each side for welding.)
Install the outer B pillar first then install the inner.
Just cut each wherever the rust stops, probably well below the lower hinge.

The floor surely needs outer floors so do that while the B pillar is cut out.
Truck outer floors are very similar, use one on the front and one on the rear door. Splice together under the B pillar.

Thats how i did it on my crew cab.....
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 12:35 AM   #3
zac

Thanks, I’ve got the gist of what you’re saying. I like the idea of splitting it and doing it in two parts. My concern is reference points. Not sure there’s enough original rocker for them to be of any use. I was going to do all of it in one shot—inners, otuters, outer floor. I even have new doors. I was going to use the replacement pillar as the common point and work out from there. I will have to go tear it apart and stare at it for awhile so I can ask intelligent questions.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:58 AM   #4
randy500
Account Suspended

Measure the height to the FLOOR to the roof, close to the rocker, the position of the rocker is dictated by the floor.

Ive done dozens of outer floors on trucks and they really isnt any adjustment, I use the measurement to make sure something isn't way off.

Tack the floor and pillar all together then fit doors and rockers, of it all fits go ahead and weld it all up.

I dont think there is a need for any bracing, roof and floor shouldn't move while your working on it as long as you dont drive it or stress it.

The entire truck is spot welded together so there is no need for continuous welds fully ground in places that are not seen. Lap joints and Spot welding followed by seam sealer will save you a lot of time and give a quality repair.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:25 PM   #5
zac

Finally got a little more organized in my shop and things disassembled. More pics so if there's any more input have at it. The ugly spot under the rear seat that comes up to the rear floor is just going to be replaced with a piece of 16 ga. I agree that bracing is not necessary now that I can see that the B pillar and floor support parted ways a long time ago. The lower portion of the pillar is pretty much gone. I guess I buy two right hand outer cab floor patches and make mods?

I bought a patch for the area between the 3rd door and rear wheel years ago, but it's the Blazer one that had to be modified for a burb. Now that the burb one is available I'm going to get it to make things much easier. I now see what you were talking about with separating the pillar into it's components, but it looks like it will be a pain.

Hope everyone's going to work tomorrow.
Attached Images