The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2020, 09:30 PM   #1
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

New Double Hump Heads

Has anyone here seen or bought these new heads yet? Just curious on quality, etc.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-t..._content=hero1
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:51 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: New Double Hump Heads

Personally I believe these are just slightly upgraded Fuelie or camel hump heads in aluminium which is a nice twist. Other then that standard 95+ Vortec will still lay down more power mod for mod.

Years ago I bought a set of gmpp double humps, and spent countless hours polishing them up. It ended up less powerful then my afr 185 headed 350 with a smaller cam.

So unless you want it to look period correct I would look elsewhere for heads.

I am sure they have a purpose, but it highly depends on what you want.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:16 PM   #3
Tom
driving is in my blood

I don't get it. If you want period correct then aluminum doesn't work. If you want power then there are much better options.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:27 AM   #4
AcampoDave

I like that the valve cover rail is raised allowing roller rockers with short covers. Aluminum heads can be painted cant they? I would consider them for sure when building a traditional looking motor. Are you thinking about building yourself some "old school cool" Captain?
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:05 PM   #5
The Rocknrod

If I werent going vortec head I'd get these and leave them unpainted just to show em off. Double hump aluminum heads? come-on
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:39 PM   #6
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Has anyone here seen or bought these new heads yet? Just curious on quality, etc.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-t..._content=hero1
Those look to be very similar to a Trick Flow Specialties Product.

They are producing a 461 Aluminum copy with 175 intake runners, vortec combustion chamber and all the goodies dressed and undressed. Noted also with Accessory bolt holes, and without.

Is this their product? Or made in china copy?
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:44 PM   #7
toolboxchev

Here is a link to the Trick Flow products:

https://www.trickflow.com/search/pro...t?autoview=SKU
Old 04-08-2020, 09:15 PM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

That is interesting. I did not know Trick Flow had those. The pricing on the heads from Speedway are close to what Summit gets for the TF's. I do not know anything about what Speedway is advertising other than what is in the link I posted. I'd be interested to know if they are a Chinese copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxchev View Post
Those look to be very similar to a Trick Flow Specialties Product.

They are producing a 461 Aluminum copy with 175 intake runners, vortec combustion chamber and all the goodies dressed and undressed. Noted also with Accessory bolt holes, and without.

Is this their product? Or made in china copy?
Quote:
Here is a link to the Trick Flow products:

https://www.trickflow.com/search/pro...t?autoview=SKU
Old 04-08-2020, 09:20 PM   #9
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I just looked at the pics a little closer and I see the name Flotek on the guideplates. So I guess that answers the question of what brand they are and where they come from.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:30 PM   #10
SunSoaked

Unless you can prove they're not Chinese junk, I'd buy something else. Name one good thing that's come from China? Covid? Time to take a stand people. You reap what you sow.
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:44 PM   #11
burnin oil

I like the idea but they still cost more than a vortec head including the matching intake. If I was spending the cash for heads I would just go to the 195 runners. I never understood the undercover thing like that. The casting marks are going to be hidden behind the accessories anyways. You really wouldn't do this to a number matching car and at this point most people can't live without power steering/brakes, AC, or an auto trans. Just look at all the camaro clips, mustang 2 fronts, and now trailblazer swaps. Cool idea but I think its late to the party for the exposed engine crowd.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:02 AM   #12
Ziegelsteinfaust

You would not believe how many people still believe these are the pinnacle of sbc technology. And it's not just old guys but young kids too. I get guys over 50 still wanting these because they were pretty much the best you could get or still quite competitive till what almost 1990?

When I built up my set it was because I had to try the old school way. Yes they built power, and did what I expected. Still AFR185's I had at the time did everything better, and if I had the same cams. Much less same quality of time in the build I could of had a better since of what were the real differences.

Personally I get people live in the past, and if they admit it I leave it alone. I am a big sbc especially LT1 reverse cooled type of guy, but I know they will never out do a LS series mod for mod. But to me they look right with a carb on top. Where the LS or any other modern engineI would only use for modern concept build or for drivability.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:44 AM   #13
burnin oil

Very true on the old fuelie heads. I remember the adds for them in the back of magazines in the early 90s. I am an old school guy but I also do what makes them the best. My 72 k20 has a nv4500 in it. I marry the parts the factory put out to make old trucks their best. I never got into LT1s since they were in cars. I like the LS motors but I think the gen 1 have a more useful torque curve for a truck that gets used as a truck. The moderns are perfect for the cruisers or daily drivers.
Old 04-09-2020, 01:36 AM   #14
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSoaked View Post
Unless you can prove they're not Chinese junk, I'd buy something else. Name one good thing that's come from China? Covid? Time to take a stand people. You reap what you sow.
I agree! The money stays here, jobs, and a person is able to benefit to some degree by their skills, and spend that money here, where it matters.

I have been rebuilding parts that I buying from local guys, just because, OEM and built, and bought.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:53 AM   #15
The Rocknrod

I have a neighbor in China Spring who has a wall probably 15 feet across, seven foot high with Camel Hump heads in pairs on shelves must be fifty pair. He hasn't sold any but he has them alright. I've never asked if he was going to or at what price.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:59 AM   #16
Richard2112

I kept a set of 68 or 69 fuelie heads around for a few years due to nostalgia and my refusal to update. They were a great paperweight, handsome museum piece, cleaned up and ready to go. Even cast on my birthday which I took as something that was just meant to be. But when the time came to build my 383, my machinist convinced me that no matter how much money I threw at them, there would be better breathing heads for less. I just didn't want to go aluminum.
Settled on a set of vortecs. Not real happy about the "hencho en mexico" idea but it's the times we live in. Won't buy anything from china.
Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:19 PM   #17
SmirchIs#1

I have around 25 pair of the double or camel hump heads.I really never thought of listing them out here,as I didn't the truck guys would be interested in them.I have five #'s matching Big Block 69'-72' trucks in my junk yard & nobody seems to care about them.As stated earlier in this post,the aluminum heads dissapate heat faster than cast iron,so you can run a little more compression.Keep in mind that is at a trade off of making less power.If an aluminum head is compared to a cast iron head And they are similar in design,the cast head makes more power hands down.The heat retention of the cast head more thoroughly atomizes the incoming fuel charge,thus making more power. No I am not making a comparison between Stock cast iron & more exotic aluminum heads.
SmirchIs#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:10 PM   #18
Tom
driving is in my blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmirchIs#1 View Post
As stated earlier in this post,the aluminum heads dissapate heat faster than cast iron,so you can run a little more compression.Keep in mind that is at a trade off of making less power.If an aluminum head is compared to a cast iron head And they are similar in design,the cast head makes more power hands down.The heat retention of the cast head more thoroughly atomizes the incoming fuel charge,thus making more power. No I am not making a comparison between Stock cast iron & more exotic aluminum heads.
You're contradicting yourself. The added heat retention of the iron head is why you have to run lower compression vs the aluminum to avoid detonation. By upping the compression on the aluminum head the same overall heat values are maintained and power goes up. If iron heads were the way to go then they would run them OEM. They haven't since what, 2000 in the vans?
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:04 PM   #19
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmirchIs#1 View Post
I have around 25 pair of the double or camel hump heads.I really never thought of listing them out here,as I didn't the truck guys would be interested in them.I have five #'s matching Big Block 69'-72' trucks in my junk yard & nobody seems to care about them.As stated earlier in this post,the aluminum heads dissapate heat faster than cast iron,so you can run a little more compression.Keep in mind that is at a trade off of making less power.If an aluminum head is compared to a cast iron head And they are similar in design,the cast head makes more power hands down.The heat retention of the cast head more thoroughly atomizes the incoming fuel charge,thus making more power. No I am not making a comparison between Stock cast iron & more exotic aluminum heads.
Maybe what smirch is communicating is that you can run more initial advance with lower compression iron heads, that with high compression aluminum heads.

It would make sense to me that the torque in the lower rpm would be more with low compression iron heads.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:05 PM   #20
toolboxchev

Got a email response from Trick Flow.

MADE IN USA!
Old 04-10-2020, 11:04 PM   #21
burnin oil

Actually the more timing needed the less efficient the head design. Then again I have near 30 degrees at idle on aluminum heads with a big cam. Butt dyno can't tell a difference on anything over 24 degrees but vacuum is better so the carb is happier with better driveability at part throttle. Wot is no different.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:46 PM   #22
68c10owner

Have you guys bothered to look at the prices of either the speedway head or the Trick Flow? They are definitely proud of them. For the money you can get better heads
Old 04-12-2020, 12:07 AM   #23
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68c10owner View Post
Have you guys bothered to look at the prices of either the speedway head or the Trick Flow? They are definitely proud of them. For the money you can get better heads
In manufacturing, they have to either product a ton of them to get the costs down, or you have a ton of brainwork to do, in engineering efficiencies.

I would want them for a couple of reasons, near stock intake manifold, and accessories. Saves a bunch of dough and I like reusing this stuff. Not out to make a tire burning race car. Just more drive-able.

I dunno, could be a toss up. Or just go hound doggin for parts.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:59 AM   #24
68c10owner

Quote:
In manufacturing, they have to either product a ton of them to get the costs down, or you have a ton of brainwork to do, in engineering efficiencies.

I would want them for a couple of reasons, near stock intake manifold, and accessories. Saves a bunch of dough and I like reusing this stuff. Not out to make a tire burning race car. Just more drive-able.

I dunno, could be a toss up. Or just go hound doggin for parts.
But you can still find and build the originals for less money. If you need more power than the stovk head there are cheaper alternatives to the aftermarket "camel humps" that will make better power. Throw some orange paint on them and they look stock.
Old 04-12-2020, 11:20 AM   #25
toolboxchev

Hunt doggin it is!