The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2015, 08:38 PM   #526
RodsGreen10

Re: 1976 Square "Simple Green"

Ok had a little issue with cold start up. Picked the phone up called FiTech spoke with Bryce and boom fixed. Bryce that dude is sharp as a tack. Great customer service!! So far that's the only thing.
RodsGreen10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:20 PM   #527
RodsGreen10

Well my alternator blows or my fuel pump blows lol. I am leaning towards my alternator cause at first start up it is only putting out 13 and after I drive it a few WOT runs it is dropping around 10-12. So if I am thinking clearly cause my wheels have been turning like crazy. That means my pump isn't putting out enough fuel. Either that or my pump is bad. Got to love the data logging feature helps you narrow down things. Plus the great support from FiTech. So I order a 200 amp alternator. Try that first before I have to drop that damn tank again lol. Besides that the FiTech is performing flawlessly!!
Old 12-16-2015, 09:23 AM   #528
swampbog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodsGreen10 View Post
Well my alternator blows or my fuel pump blows lol. I am leaning towards my alternator cause at first start up it is only putting out 13 and after I drive it a few WOT runs it is dropping around 10-12. So if I am thinking clearly cause my wheels have been turning like crazy. That means my pump isn't putting out enough fuel. Either that or my pump is bad
Doesn't the ECU send voltage to the pump and control the pump flow by voltage? If so, wouldn't it increase the voltage if it doesn't see what it wants to see?
How did you know you were having a issue with the pump or alternator? Was it stumbling or did you just look at the data log and you noticed that?

Quote:
Got to love the data logging feature helps you narrow down things.
How do you check the data log? Do you need a laptop or does the handheld controller display it for you?
swampbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:01 PM   #529
RodsGreen10

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbog View Post
Doesn't the ECU send voltage to the pump and control the pump flow by voltage? If so, wouldn't it increase the voltage if it doesn't see what it wants to see?
How did you know you were having a issue with the pump or alternator? Was it stumbling or did you just look at the data log and you noticed that?

How do you check the data log? Do you need a laptop or does the handheld controller display it for you?
Sorry been at my wife's grandfathers funeral today.

Yes to the first quote post. All of what you posted a big YES. Lol.

And you need a laptop so you can look at the data log it is a excel file. And if you have never messed with tuning example SCT you will have no idea what you are looking at. But you can send it over to FiTech and they will look at it and say good or bad.

Also my pump is dead so I guess it was my pump lol. I will give a thumbs down to Aeromotive for customer service.
I went with another pump a company who I have used injectors they make for a twin turbo truck I had. Same flow rating actually at a higher psi and less amp draw.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:15 PM   #530
Advanced Design

Too bad about the pump. Was it above the fuel level in the tank? They push really well and they don't do so well on the draw.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:32 PM   #531
RodsGreen10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Too bad about the pump. Was it above the fuel level in the tank? They push really well and they don't do so well on the draw.
Full tank of gas. Tank fully submerged. Just my luck lol.

Last edited by RodsGreen10; 12-16-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:38 PM   #532
swampbog

Quote:
Sorry been at my wife's grandfathers funeral today.

Yes to the first quote post. All of what you posted a big YES. Lol.

And you need a laptop so you can look at the data log it is a excel file. And if you have never messed with tuning example SCT you will have no idea what you are looking at. But you can send it over to FiTech and they will look at it and say good or bad.

Also my pump is dead so I guess it was my pump lol. I will give a thumbs down to Aeromotive for customer service.
I went with another pump a company who I have used injectors they make for a twin turbo truck I had. Same flow rating actually at a higher psi and less amp draw.
Quote:
Still curious about this
Old 12-16-2015, 08:45 PM   #533
RodsGreen10

Quote:
Still curious about this
About which part? Ask and I will tell.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:52 PM   #534
Advanced Design

Quote:
Full tank of gas. Tank fully submerged. Just my luck lol.
Apologies...I missed it is an in tank pump. Why wouldn't Aeromotive cover the failure?
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:57 PM   #535
RodsGreen10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Apologies...I missed it is an in tank pump. Why wouldn't Aeromotive cover the failure?
No worries. They will but send it back let them run tests blah blah. They pissed me off first he said I installed it wrong I said Bull**** lol. Then I told him how I had it wired he said you can't run a relay to that pump I said it is your relay made for your pumps. He said O. We'll send it back. Damn tech guy was a dumb ass. I am not waiting on them around this time of year. They will fix it or send me a new one I will have a back up.

Last edited by RodsGreen10; 12-16-2015 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:02 PM   #536
RodsGreen10

Quote:
Still curious about this
I think this is your answer if not let me know. Yes it was stumbling under a heavy heavy load. The FiTech handheld will monitor everything and I mean everything except fuel line pressure. Need a fuel gauge for that. So I took my handheld plugged it into the computer looked at the log. It was calling for full pump power. Map was good TPS was good fuel injector duty cycle was good. And other things. So pump. Then I looked at my volts it said 10-12 volts depending on the rpm I was at. So alternator. So yes I felt the stumble it was really bad plus I saw it on the data log. Nice having data to target a issue. Trust me if it was the FiTech jacking up I would tell everyone.

Last edited by RodsGreen10; 12-16-2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:05 AM   #537
swampbog

Quote:
I think this is your answer if not let me know. Yes it was stumbling under a heavy heavy load. The FiTech handheld will monitor everything and I mean everything except fuel line pressure. Need a fuel gauge for that. So I took my handheld plugged it into the computer looked at the log. It was calling for full pump power. Map was good TPS was good fuel injector duty cycle was good. And other things. So pump. Then I looked at my volts it said 10-12 volts depending on the rpm I was at. So alternator. So yes I felt the stumble it was really bad plus I saw it on the data log. Nice having data to target a issue. Trust me if it was the FiTech jacking up I would tell everyone.
That's the answer I was looking for.
I was hoping that the handheld or data log could help diagnose the problem. That's adding another plus to me buying it, not a big plus but it's still a plus.
Thanks
Old 12-17-2015, 06:57 AM   #538
RodsGreen10

Quote:
I was hoping that the handheld or data log could help diagnose the problem. That's adding another plus to me buying it, not a big plus but it's still a plus.
Thanks
Yes always nice being able to look at data. Especially if it is helping you solve a problem and you can eliminate things.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:11 AM   #539
RodsGreen10

I am not playing around this time around lol. I ordered this also beef up the fuel hat wiring. Going all out now lol.

http://www.racetronix.biz/Itemdesc.a...%2D001&eq=&Tp=
Old 12-17-2015, 11:13 AM   #540
RodsGreen10

New pump I ordered.

http://www.deatschwerks.com/products...s/dw300-detail
Old 12-17-2015, 11:16 AM   #541
RodsGreen10

Got this for the 200 amp alternator that is coming.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/prf-...qkphoCN5nw_wcB
Old 12-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #542
RodsGreen10

Quote:
Thanks
I will get a pic of the dashboard when I get home today. I will post it up so you can see it.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:58 PM   #543
RodsGreen10

Got a new filler neck hose today. The 87 tank inlet is bigger than the 76 tank. I got the hose for the 87 so the metal filler neck part on my truck I am going to swell it so it will be the same size. 76 hose size 1.5" 87 hose size 1.75". I could have just put a worm clamp in it and tightened the **** out of it but that is not good enough or the right way to do IMO. Honestly that would drive me crazy cause I would know I half assed it.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:51 PM   #544
Big Kev-O

"It was calling for full pump power"

$#it, i just installed my Go Efi 4 and i didn't use the fuel pump wire from the Efi harness becaused I figured the one I already had from my EZ wiring harness would do the same thing. But looks like your telling us it does not always send full power to the pump. Looks like i will be calling tech support to verify. Darn... thought I was ready to go.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:56 PM   #545
RodsGreen10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kev-O View Post
"It was calling for full pump power"

$#it, i just installed my Go Efi 4 and i didn't use the fuel pump wire from the Efi harness becaused I figured the one I already had from my EZ wiring harness would do the same thing. But looks like your telling us it does not always send full power to the pump. Looks like i will be calling tech support to verify. Darn... thought I was ready to go.
Yes it was calling for full pump power.

Do you have a in tank pump? The orange wire that is in the FiTech wiring harness need to be hooked up to the fuel pump. It's says that in the directions. It uses a PWM at start up and converts over to a relay. The FiTech has a built in relay. I just added a relay to protect the FiTech 6 pin connector. And it does supply power to the pump. The orange wire supplies power to the pump.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:59 PM   #546
RodsGreen10

Look at the pic. It shows the wire color and what they do.
Orange. Fuel pump circuit this wire provides 12v to the pump.
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2015, 07:02 PM   #547
RodsGreen10

I know exactly how the PWM works and the relay works. I was told by the co founder Jeremy. But I am not going to post it cause idk if they want that info posted. And speak with someone besides Cody. Ask for Bryce if he can talk.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:05 PM   #548
Big Kev-O

You were right excellent tech support, I'm already off the phone. They said i could run it full power to the pump until i had a chance to wire it to their harness. Looks like I will be running that one last wire. I dont want to make the pressure regulator work harder than it needs to.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:08 PM   #549
RodsGreen10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kev-O View Post
You were right excellent tech support, I'm already off the phone. They said i could run it full power to the pump until i had a chance to wire it to their harness. Looks like I will be running that one last wire. I dont want to make the pressure regulator work harder than it needs to.
Awesome! They do have great support and you just confirmed it!! Yes I agree I would not want the regulator working harder than it needs.
What kind of pump are you running?
Old 12-17-2015, 07:42 PM   #550
RodsGreen10

A couple pics of the dashboard. These are generic pics truck not running.
Attached Images

Last edited by RodsGreen10; 12-17-2015 at 07:48 PM.