The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2008, 08:54 AM   #76
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

Re: How do I make the truck loud???

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetstar View Post
Here's a wild idea ---- why not put those douches' in their place and run your truck quieter than those dumb-A's, but faaaaaaaaster. Ultimate sleeper

A nitrous kit would do it ----- an extra 100-150 hp might have your truck runnin 14's or 15's -- enough to put most Z-71 pimp boys in their place
That might work on a 96-98 Vortec, but there are quite a few LSx Vortecs out there that straight RUN.

I should know, I've tuned a lot of them in my area, including my own
2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:06 AM   #77
chevguy7

Right now I have stock manifolds with dual 2.25" pipes and turbo mufflers going out behind the rear tires. It will soon have headers, 2.5" dual pipes and flowmasters and will probably dump under the bed before the rear axle.
chevguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #78
screamin_eagle
Account Suspended

run these down the interstate wide open throttle. or pull up next to a prius or some green weenie at the light and watch there lips move and just look at them like there stupid.trick it on into the super market parkinglot and watch people run for cover. i like it because it gives me an exuse not to listen to a damn word my old lady is saying. bla bla your truck is to loud bla. I what... I make you proud.... cool.. bla bla bla rolls eyes bla.

Name:  chery bombs.JPG
Views: 201
Size:  26.4 KB
screamin_eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:42 PM   #79
68 P.O.S.

Drain the oil, that'll make it loud.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:42 PM   #80
68Stepbed

Let me ask you this. Does your truck have duals on it now? Do you like the way it sounds? Do you want it louder just to be as loud as theirs or because YOU want it louder? Also, do you want it to be really loud for a long time? Listen to what these older guys are saying. I'll say the same thing. I used to think the louder, the better. I had a 90 Chevy truck with a high flow cat and straight pipes. IT WAS LOUD!! Since I got rid of the truck, I like mine a little more mellow. I also roll my eyes when I hear a late model truck with loud pipes. A guy I go to church with has an 05 Chevy Z71 with loud exhaust and he revs it up every chance he gets. It's almost annoying.

I have Hedman Elite headers, 2.5" pipes and Flowmaster Super 40's on my 68. It sounds great, but still almost too loud inside the cab. My interior should be finished this week and hopefully the carpet and insulation should help a little.

I have a 94 F150 with stock exhaust, but if I ever have to change exhaust, I'll have my converter cut off and run a single 3" pipe with a 70 series Flowmaster. It should be just loud enough to hear it, but not loud enough to annoy everyone around me or anyone that rides with me.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:30 PM   #81
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasted Income View Post
That might work on a 96-98 Vortec, but there are quite a few LSx Vortecs out there that straight RUN.

I should know, I've tuned a lot of them in my area, including my own

???? Are you talking about the thread starter and his '70 GMC?, or his z-71 arch enemies?

A late model Z-71 is a fine truck for running 17's, maybe mid-16's at best. A 96-98 would be slower - 17's - 18's.

The high school parking lot in Whiteville , NC probably is not a hotbed for performance oriented owners that put a real tune on them. Just jack it up (preferably a body lift) as high as dad's credit card will allow, cut the cat off and run megaphone exhaust tips straight out the back.

A modest power adder would serve well -- although a higher capacity fuel pump would be needed to keep it from leaning out too much

Nonsense! I'm in my prime
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:50 PM   #82
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

My head hurts.........plus I will never get the time I wasted reading this thread back.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:57 PM   #83
retodd7711
chrome makes it go FASTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69C10@16 View Post
oh, anybody know how to fix the speedo bounce without spending over 5 or 10 dollars?
Unhook speedo cable, guaranteed to never bounce again.
and she brings me beer.
She can stay for now.
EDIT:: But she left me anyway,
So forget her.

1962 GMC Stepside V6 4 speed
My rolling resto thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=324226
My old farm truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3465005
retodd7711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:55 PM   #84
70' GMC
HERE.......Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Stepbed View Post
Let me ask you this. Does your truck have duals on it now? Do you like the way it sounds? Do you want it louder just to be as loud as theirs or because YOU want it louder? Also, do you want it to be really loud for a long time? Listen to what these older guys are saying. I'll say the same thing. I used to think the louder, the better. I had a 90 Chevy truck with a high flow cat and straight pipes. IT WAS LOUD!! Since I got rid of the truck, I like mine a little more mellow. I also roll my eyes when I hear a late model truck with loud pipes. A guy I go to church with has an 05 Chevy Z71 with loud exhaust and he revs it up every chance he gets. It's almost annoying.

I have Hedman Elite headers, 2.5" pipes and Flowmaster Super 40's on my 68. It sounds great, but still almost too loud inside the cab. My interior should be finished this week and hopefully the carpet and insulation should help a little.

I have a 94 F150 with stock exhaust, but if I ever have to change exhaust, I'll have my converter cut off and run a single 3" pipe with a 70 series Flowmaster. It should be just loud enough to hear it, but not loud enough to annoy everyone around me or anyone that rides with me.

My truck has duals and I do like the sound it makes. But I wanna make it louder than the boys that drive z 71s. What is so dang good about a z 71?

Classics make it possible!

Last edited by 70' GMC; 01-04-2008 at 03:56 PM.
70' GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:09 PM   #85
retodd7711
chrome makes it go FASTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70' GMC View Post
My truck has duals and I do like the sound
If you like it why worry about other guys trucks? Just unhook your mufflers for a week, and after it gives you a headache hook 'em back up.
P.S. Have you asked redhead chick what she thinks about a loud truck? She's the one you need to impress. Not a bunch of redneck dudes.
and she brings me beer.
She can stay for now.
EDIT:: But she left me anyway,
So forget her.

1962 GMC Stepside V6 4 speed
My rolling resto thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=324226
My old farm truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3465005
retodd7711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:11 PM   #86
clemson71guy

i think theres a diffrence is sounding loud and sounding good.
my school is the same as yours everyone drives z-71's and mustangs with "loud pipes" they sound like crap to me..and none of them knows the first thing about what kind of exaust system they have, all they say is i dont no but it's loud.
everyone that i have told about me fixing up a truck calls it a piece of crap cause it's 36 years old but when i come pulling into the parking lot for the first time with headers going into flowmaster 40's with 2 1/2 inch pipes they will know the diffrence between sounding loud and sounding good.
If i was you i would take it to your local exaust shop and let them know you wont a loud truck and for a few hundered dollars you will be happy.
clemson71guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #87
tsetsaf

May I suggest a baseball card in the spokes?
tsetsaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:43 PM   #88
Steelawork'n
Just hang'n around

Just run some cheap headers through dual 1.5's, (use copper gaskets), run them through cheap mufflers, and dump them just ahead of the rear diff.

Rednecks don't spend the big bucks on the exhaust, they spend the money on what makes the exhaust.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:47 AM   #89
68Stepbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70' GMC
What is so dang good about a z 71?
The 90-95 EFI engines and the later 96-99 Vortec engines had higher compression than your older engine. The head designs and FI setup also made a higher crankase pressure that is better controlled through emissions. The exhaust manifolds are also designed for just the right amount of backpressure and flow to make optimum use of the head design. You may think I'm nuts, but high crankcase pressure and higher compression is what makes an engine loud. I can't explain why, but I've seen the results.

If you like the way your truck sounds, don't worry about trying to make it louder than your freinds trucks. Leave it the way it sounds now and spend your money making it faster. That's where it counts anyway. Nobody's gonna be impressed with how loud it is if it doesn't go any faster.

What is your current exhaust setup now?

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:21 AM   #90
70cst

Amazing...four pages on "How to make my truck loud.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:26 AM   #91
70cst

Amazing...four pages on "How to make my truck loud . How does one define sounds by a thread posting except with audio clips. It comes down to what ones hears as we all hear things differrently. To me loud is not impressive, but the tone is what defines the melody of a performace engine. Quality music and our exhaust plays music, is not based on loudness but on the quality of the sound,tone, and Rhythm. As I said...maybe its an age thing.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 01-05-2008 at 07:10 AM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:34 AM   #92
jorgensensc

Maybe don't put the money in an exhaust system and fix your "little Ding" on the front fender. JMO

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:00 AM   #93
chevguy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgensensc View Post
Maybe don't put the money in an exhaust system and fix your "little Ding" on the front fender. JMO
Well said. Sometimes those dings aren't so little.
chevguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:45 AM   #94
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetstar View Post
???? Are you talking about the thread starter and his '70 GMC?, or his z-71 arch enemies?

A late model Z-71 is a fine truck for running 17's, maybe mid-16's at best. A 96-98 would be slower - 17's - 18's.

The high school parking lot in Whiteville , NC probably is not a hotbed for performance oriented owners that put a real tune on them. Just jack it up (preferably a body lift) as high as dad's credit card will allow, cut the cat off and run megaphone exhaust tips straight out the back.

A modest power adder would serve well -- although a higher capacity fuel pump would be needed to keep it from leaning out too much
Lol, I was talking about his z71 pals. Trust me when I say I've got my brother's '99 Z71 (5.3L) running faster than mid 16s. It's amazing what you can unleash when you know what you're doing in an ECM tune Kiss all of GM's electronic babysitters goodbye, and dial it in with a wideband, and run some good fuel

I agree however, that they most likely are stock with a body lift, some offset rims, and straight pipes. They (96-98) sound HORRIBLE at WOT with straight pipes.
2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!

Last edited by Wasted Income; 01-05-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:52 PM   #95
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70' GMC View Post
My truck has duals and I do like the sound it makes. But I wanna make it louder than the boys that drive z 71s. What is so dang good about a z 71?
Nothing truly extraordinary -- they're just newer than yours, and 4wd. Z71 was really just a modest 4wd package that consisted of stickers and skidplates. They are easy to drive and they never (well, rarely) break down

I live in Oklahoma, which is a redneck state too (like NC) and Z-71's are a dime a dozen.

In a few years, when you have your '70 restored to the point that it is too nice to drive everyday, you will want something like this as an everyday driver though. , but like any most late models, they are a little boring

Old 01-05-2008, 02:03 PM   #96
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

Ive got the loud kids at my school, my cousin and his 93 sierra GT want to be justlike them so he was gonna cut his brand new exhuast off, i talked him out of it, but still have to tell him not to from time to time (hes not always a thinker)

My camaro has cherry bombs, loud but not too loud. My buddy runs dumps on his orignal fox body, and has flowmasters and his 4th mustang this year (he traded 4 stangs in about 4 months). And, my buddys F150 has the exhaust cut off.

In my truck (77 heavy half with non egr 350) ive got 2.5 inch exhuast, with QUIET FLOWS! thats right, i keep it quiet, its a work truck, you dont have to be loud, sure you get people to look, but did people forget what a sleeper is? nothing like rolling up in the old farm truck, getting them mustang punks redlining their motors, and you just blow them off the line as their jaw drops, you let off at 50 for the lack of higher speed gearing, and they think they blew your doors off becuase you dropped it into third and laughed as you see them on teh side of the road cause the cops pulled them over.

Sound isnt everything, becuase if your making noise you shouldnt be driving little boys toys.

Edit: im not saying you have a little boys toy, just save your money and build a sick motor with a good cam, then get some loud exhaust, and then youll be able to back up your noise.

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums

Last edited by Walts_restoration; 01-05-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:25 PM   #97
69-350
Oil trash and damn proud of it

idk. my 97 Z71, which has broken down more than I would have liked it to. But hey, when a truck gets ten years old with 140,000 miles stuff like the original starter, alternator, FUEL PUMP, (yes I said ORIGINAL fuel pump at 140k miles), transmission (was a half ton 5th wheel camper truck. some people...) and distributor (an odd one there, looks like it was wobbling in there, when it wore down the gear)

Ahem, anyways, past the unbeatable reliability of the non-killable Chevy trucks, my Z71 has after market aluminum wheels with stock offset (one big thing I was looking for) stock size 265/75/R16 mud-terrains (not [just] because they look cool, but they've saved my ass a few times, I do take that thing where it shouldnt go sometimes) with zero body lift, or suspension lift - - yet anyways, I'm still debating a 6" lift - - and those straight pipes don't sound too bad at WOT.

I've gotten a LOT (and I mean a LOT) of compliments on the looks of that truck, which is pretty good considering it's stock with some decals on it, check it out by clicking the clicky in my signature; but as for the exhaust, I don't think I've ever heard anything negative about it. I don't know what's so special about it, it's got stock manifolds through the stock cats. Must be just something about how it's bent just right or something, but it's loud, but legally quiet enough until about 1800-1900+ rpm where it starts to get loud. By 2500+ RPM it's LOUD, but still has a good tone to it.

I've been told numerous times how it sounds good... maybe it's just how it sound different from every other 96-98 Vortec in town, which have all the same help-me-i'm-drowning-blubbery sound from the 2 1/4" pipes with 45's or 90's with tips and 12-18" packs. Maybe it does just sound good, just has all the right bends and shapes. I don't know. I've only heard it once from outside the truck, and I liked it... it has a tone til just shy of 2k RPM, then it gets a loud tone.

Hah, and by the way, it won't run the quarter in 6.5 or 0-60mph in 2.78 seconds. It will get up and boogie, it will throw rubber fairly good, and it does pretty good (hah, around 9-11mpg area) on gas. I'm still trying for that 5 second 0-60 though, lol.

1997 K1500 Z71, 14 bolt SF 3.73 posi, Bright Blue Metallic. 6" Superlift
1972 C-10, toolbox, p/s, 350/TH350/3.73 open, black int., bronze
2008 Dodge MegaCab. H&S tuned 6.7 Cummins. Fast Four Tons

Some of my pics http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m294/69-350/

Last edited by 69-350; 01-05-2008 at 02:28 PM.
69-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:41 PM   #98
fastom
That's right, it's Copper!!

WOW, four pages!!!
fastom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 03:12 PM   #99
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastom View Post
WOW, four pages!!!
I know ! unfortunately, i'm part of the problem too -- but '70 GMC always has good questions that seem to inspire a lot of debate ?!

Old 01-05-2008, 04:32 PM   #100
tphsmith
still buypickupparts

what redhead??? i missed something on this 4 pages

72 SWB Fleetside freshly painted. putting a 94 LT1 with
700R4 tranny lowered 4 in the front 6 in the back

81 chevy half ton 350

89 Silverado 4x4 going ta church truck
tphsmith is offline   Reply With Quote