The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2007, 11:17 PM   #101
DollaBill

Re: 72 2wd Blazer: Project "Break Me"

kade-
i think its great youre building your front suspension crossmember yourself. i do have a couple questions on how you decided to set it up as far as the geometry goes. how did you go about figuring what the camber curve needed to be? how did you decide where the caster should be? hows the bumpsteer going to play out? wheres the roll center going to be? i am assuming you are using some type of software to set it up? if so, what program did you decide to use? and would you recommend it to others (software)? sorry about all the questions i am thinking about doing the same thing (fabricating my own crossmember) but know i need to do the homework. i will be keeping an eye on the build and look forward to seeing it on the road.
DollaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:39 PM   #102
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkade View Post
Got it roughed up. Still a lot of work

And started tearing apart the LQ4
Man, you are hard at it. This is gonna be sweet!

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:08 AM   #103
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollaBill View Post
kade-
i think its great youre building your front suspension crossmember yourself. i do have a couple questions on how you decided to set it up as far as the geometry goes. how did you go about figuring what the camber curve needed to be? how did you decide where the caster should be? hows the bumpsteer going to play out? wheres the roll center going to be? i am assuming you are using some type of software to set it up? if so, what program did you decide to use? and would you recommend it to others (software)? sorry about all the questions i am thinking about doing the same thing (fabricating my own crossmember) but know i need to do the homework. i will be keeping an eye on the build and look forward to seeing it on the road.
Mine is built using the stock c4 geometry and yes the blazer will weigh more but it still should handle a lot better than the stock suspension. I could see changing the geometry if this thing was at stock ride height as the roll center would be pretty bad but my ride height on the front is going to be around 4". Hope this helps and we will see one day if the stock c4 geometry works worth a crap or not
Thanks
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:09 AM   #104
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
Man, you are hard at it. This is gonna be sweet!
Thanx for the kind words and your are coming along nicely also
Old 11-28-2007, 12:23 PM   #105
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged74 View Post
by all means build it, its your truck.
my point (which you confirmed) was that you seem to come across kind of arrogant. Im not saying its intentional or that its really a problem. You just said you were tired of people saying this and that about you. I was just trying to give you some insight as to why they might be saying things.
There is a big difference between being "arrogant" and being a "realist who sets a budget and works within it".

I would probably come across as "arrogant" or "stubborn" if people came into my build threat and started chastizing me about my choices, reasoning and logic in my build as well.

If you think someone is being arrogant, the place to air this is probably NOT in their build thread. A few people ganged up on ChevyDude in posts leading up to his "Project Overkill" thread/build as well, and I think that was inappropriate also, as did many others. How a guy chooses to build up his truck, and his reasons for building it up are personal. I don't think anyone on this forum has the right to judge or challenge those personal choices or logic in a build thread.

If you don't like a person's choices in their build, it's perfectly acceptable to offer up a suggestion, but, you gotta understand - a project like this is very PERSONAL to the person building it, so suggestions - even creative or constructive ones MAY NOT be taken with smiles and hugs.

I say everyone just step off the man and let him continue with his build thread like he wants to. Stop polluting the thread with your arguing, BS, accusations and namecalling, please. The rest of us are sick of seeing the harassment and want to see more build pictures.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 11-28-2007 at 12:25 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:32 PM   #106
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
If you go with the 68 trim, you "must" keep the chrome bumpers. Painted bumpers look alright, but not with the side molding.
Which moulding are you talking about? I have painted bumpers on my '68 and I think it looks great as long with the trim on as long as you paint the bumper to match the grille inset:

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:46 PM   #107
killer71

jkade...keep up the good work...do this truck exactly how you want it as i know you will...
when your willing to give up those specks i'm here with open arms!
killer71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:48 PM   #108
killer71

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
Which moulding are you talking about? I have painted bumpers on my '68 and I think it looks great as long with the trim on as long as you paint the bumper to match the grille inset:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion shifty!
just kidding...i agree the white bumper looks gr8 with the white grill! how you coming anyways?
Old 11-28-2007, 01:02 PM   #109
jkade

Quote:
There is a big difference between being "arrogant" and being a "realist who sets a budget and works within it".

I would probably come across as "arrogant" or "stubborn" if people came into my build threat and started chastizing me about my choices, reasoning and logic in my build as well.

If you think someone is being arrogant, the place to air this is probably NOT in their build thread. A few people ganged up on ChevyDude in posts leading up to his "Project Overkill" thread/build as well, and I think that was inappropriate also, as did many others. How a guy chooses to build up his truck, and his reasons for building it up are personal. I don't think anyone on this forum has the right to judge or challenge those personal choices or logic in a build thread.

If you don't like a person's choices in their build, it's perfectly acceptable to offer up a suggestion, but, you gotta understand - a project like this is very PERSONAL to the person building it, so suggestions - even creative or constructive ones MAY NOT be taken with smiles and hugs.

I say everyone just step off the man and let him continue with his build thread like he wants to. Stop polluting the thread with your arguing, BS, accusations and namecalling, please. The rest of us are sick of seeing the harassment and want to see more build pictures.

Quote:

He is talking about the 67-68 side trim, I agree roll pans would look dumb with the side trim. Is the the truck that is got the ls and t56 Shifty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer71 View Post
jkade...keep up the good work...do this truck exactly how you want it as i know you will...
when your willing to give up those specks i'm here with open arms!
I want to get everything built and I will hook all those that want it up I will for sure hook you up conserding how sh$ty your luck has been.

Thanks Guys
Old 11-28-2007, 01:04 PM   #110
killer71

Quote:

He is talking about the 67-68 side trim, I agree roll pans would look dumb with the side trim. Is the the truck that is got the ls and t56 Shifty?

I want to get everything built and I will hook all those that want it up I will for sure hook you up conserding how sh$ty your luck has been.

Thanks Guys

ahh....jkade showin me some love!!!!!
Old 11-28-2007, 04:43 PM   #111
shifty
Questionable

Quote:

Yep

Old 11-28-2007, 04:49 PM   #112
69c4x11

Thumbs up Re: 72 2wd Blazer: Project "Break Me"

Hey guys new here ,, I'm a Lateral -g / Pro-touring guy,, A friend of mine uses no software, But he is a draftsman/Carbuilder, He also laid out the chassis for the G-Force Cuda,for Alan Johnson,,, They then loaded it and checked it with the software !!! Quess what? it was correct!!! with the correct anti-dive, bumpsteer, instant center,rollcenter,Laid out it will work,,,My ex 69 camaro full C4 on 2x4 chassis has been at 185mph with some left, stable as a rock,,,It was built from our friends design, My other son has a 69 camaro, Yes it will hall a--, and drives like it is on rails, with C4 subframe,,, I'm the one who talked Kade into this ,,, You can also check out My 66 vette on lateral-g, dog it's chassis, if you want , it was also home built, like the 2 69 Camaro's,, Money is an issue with alot of people,and so is knowledge, It is nice to have friends to turn to!!!!!! Thanks Rods&Restos, Centre,AL. Neil Lea !!
69c4x11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:02 PM   #113
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69c4x11 View Post
Hey guys new here ,, I'm a Lateral -g / Pro-touring guy,, A friend of mine uses no software, But he is a draftsman/Carbuilder, He also laid out the chassis for the G-Force Cuda,for Alan Johnson,,, They then loaded it and checked it with the software !!! Quess what? it was correct!!! with the correct anti-dive, bumpsteer, instant center,rollcenter,Laid out it will work,,,My ex 69 camaro full C4 on 2x4 chassis has been at 185mph with some left, stable as a rock,,,It was built from our friends design, My other son has a 69 camaro, Yes it will hall a--, and drives like it is on rails, with C4 subframe,,, I'm the one who talked Kade into this ,,, You can also check out My 66 vette on lateral-g, dog it's chassis, if you want , it was also home built, like the 2 69 Camaro's,, Money is an issue with alot of people,and so is knowledge, It is nice to have friends to turn to!!!!!! Thanks Rods&Restos, Centre,AL. Neil Lea !!
to the board. They are not always like this
Old 11-28-2007, 05:51 PM   #114
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I'm just glad I belong to a board where EVERYONE can voice their opinions. I learn things here everyday.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:46 PM   #115
cflvulcan

jkade, just wanted to tell ya your doing an awesome job and i go thru the same sh%t with people voicing their bad opinions. i know where your coming from with having a limited budget, i dont make much either. i wouldnt wanna buy a $1400 piece when i know i can make it. actually im in the process of sectioning my front crossmember cause i cant afford to buy one. im also in the process of putting a 57 chevy dash in mine too cause everyone in my area says its impossible. its only steel, i know its gonna work. sorry for writing so much haha, keep up the good work...
cflvulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:55 PM   #116
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflvulcan View Post
jkade, just wanted to tell ya your doing an awesome job and i go thru the same sh%t with people voicing their bad opinions. i know where your coming from with having a limited budget, i dont make much either. i wouldnt wanna buy a $1400 piece when i know i can make it. actually im in the process of sectioning my front crossmember cause i cant afford to buy one. im also in the process of putting a 57 chevy dash in mine too cause everyone in my area says its impossible. its only steel, i know its gonna work. sorry for writing so much haha, keep up the good work...
Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:57 PM   #117
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Which moulding are you talking about? I have painted bumpers on my '68 and I think it looks great along with the trim on as long as you paint the bumper to match the grille inset:
I was referring to the side moulding not the grill surround. If you look at the pics he has chopped you see what I meant.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:12 PM   #118
DollaBill

Quote:
Mine is built using the stock c4 geometry
did you just take measurements from the factory vette crossmember?
DollaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:04 AM   #119
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollaBill View Post
did you just take measurements from the factory vette crossmember?
Yes, and my brother has a "homebuilt" c4 subframe under his 69 camaro that we took some measurements from also. The front trac width is about 4" narrower than the stock blazer setup so I guess I am going to have a pretty good lip on my front wheels.
Thanks
Old 11-30-2007, 11:16 AM   #120
69c4x11

Well, now we are going for a 2x6 graft,,, The frigging frame is shoved over3/4'' at the crossmember location,, Just his luck !!! nothing he ever tackles is easy, If we had know this it would have about been as easy to build a complete chassis,,
69c4x11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:05 PM   #121
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69c4x11 View Post
Well, now we are going for a 2x6 graft,,, The frigging frame is shoved over3/4'' at the crossmember location,, Just his luck !!! nothing he ever tackles is easy, If we had know this it would have about been as easy to build a complete chassis,,
Yeah, damn the luck
Old 11-30-2007, 04:37 PM   #122
Rokcrln

If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for your C4 parts? I am getting ready to start picking up all the parts for a 63 SWB GMC build I have lined up but I have not checked into the C4 stuff yet. I am asking just so I have a base line to go by.
Thanks

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:15 PM   #123
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for your C4 parts? I am getting ready to start picking up all the parts for a 63 SWB GMC build I have lined up but I have not checked into the C4 stuff yet. I am asking just so I have a base line to go by.
Thanks

Kevin
LFD Inc.
$400 is what I paid for mine and it was off a 94. You can find it cheaper but all the ball joints looked to be good so I went ahead and bought it. Good luck and keep your eye out on corvetteforum.com
Kade
Old 12-04-2007, 05:04 PM   #124
jkade

Got the 2x6 front rails made and half ass in and the crossmember made to the new width, or should I say my father has got this done ( I did help drink his beer). We (he) made the front rails 32" wide to help with the brackets for the upper control arms and this will help in header clearence, a/c clearence, and other things etc. plus it makes it a lot better looking also. Still a long way to go but I feel we are making good progress. Here are a few pics

Old 12-04-2007, 05:44 PM   #125
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Off the deep end! Looks good. Are you gonna use the CL205s, or are they just for mock-up?

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote