The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2019, 05:58 PM   #1
rmawyer

1970 C10 Door and Vent Window Rubber and Felt Replacement

I am in the process of installing an updated interior (bucket seats, console, door panels, door handles) I got from Brothers Trucks winter sale. The new bucket seats and console are installed. I started on the door panels and got to the dry fit stage and determined I should replace the (almost 50 year old) door window rubber and felt while I had the old door panels removed. So I ordered and received the replacement rubber and felt from Brothers.

I'm looking for some insight / directions to help with the installation. I was able to get the door vents out and would like to attempt the replacement and reinstallation myself.

Can anyone recommend previously documented or new instructions? As always thanks for sharing your expertise.
rmawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:53 PM   #2
RustyPile

Re: 1970 C10 Door and Vent Window Rubber and Felt Replacement

Here's just one of many threads concerning window channel and vent window rubber installation..

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...+window+repair

"search" is your friend.. Click on it near the top of each page.. A box will open.. Type a key word or two in the box.. You'll find what you're looking for..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:45 AM   #3
rmawyer

Re: 1970 C10 Door Challenge Continued

Thanks for the insight. I found a good video and used that to replace the window rubber and felt. I was not comfortable attempting the vent windows (rivets, rust) so I got a local body man to do that.

As is the norm, as I dig deeper into the doors I find other parts and pieces that should be replaced, like the door locking mechanisms. The lock rods are not working. Please comment on any sites that have decent replacement lock mechanisms. Thanks.
rmawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:09 AM   #4
GMCPaul

Re: 1970 C10 Door and Vent Window Rubber and Felt Replacement

Some PB Blaster might free up the lock mechanism. If you'll be installing new door seals you might want to check your latching mechanism on the door latch that engages the striker plate. Quite often it's worn and has 1/4" of play or more in it. This then mean the door has to be pushed a 1/4" or more further in to get it to fully latch which with old seals is no problem but with new seals you'll find the extra effort needed to compress the new seals is far harder resulting in a difficult to close door. Be sure to use weatherstrip lube also as it helps.
Paul Sr @ GMCPauls
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote