The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2017, 03:19 PM   #851
1971_c10

Re: Project Lemon Drop: anything but stock!

Man, that enclosure is looking good. Very nice work!

On the antenna, I was looking around at these guys:
http://www.tunetrapper.com/Hidden_Car_Antennas.html

They sound more like amateur radio heads and seem to know what they are talking about based on my past experience in amateur radio. But, I haven't tried it so I can't say if it works. Curious if you tried something like this or one of the hundreds of "amplified" antennas because I was thinking the same spot as you, behind the dome light between there and the B pillar corner. But your luck may be changing my mind. And of course, our cabs are just metal cages which doesn't help. Thanks for the update on the details!

Build Thread for my '71 Pro-Touring: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722029
My C10 has it's own facebook page! www.facebook.com/c10cj - it is a public page so no facebook account required to browse through.
1971_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:21 PM   #852
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971_c10 View Post
Man, that enclosure is looking good. Very nice work!

On the antenna, I was looking around at these guys:
http://www.tunetrapper.com/Hidden_Car_Antennas.html

They sound more like amateur radio heads and seem to know what they are talking about based on my past experience in amateur radio. But, I haven't tried it so I can't say if it works. Curious if you tried something like this or one of the hundreds of "amplified" antennas because I was thinking the same spot as you, behind the dome light between there and the B pillar corner. But your luck may be changing my mind. And of course, our cabs are just metal cages which doesn't help. Thanks for the update on the details!

Thanks. I read what they claim about the antenna and I think I will give them a try and place it under the cowl.

UPDATE. "1972_c10" Chris, I read some reviews about the TuneTrapper antenna on a motorcycle forum and a few that have tried it said they were disappointed. FYI. I'm not sure if I will get one right now. I think I'll try a cowl or fender antenna under the truck or in the engine compartment, because I forgot that we sealed off my cowl. So I cant put it under there.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200082

Last edited by jugernot; 07-21-2017 at 06:36 PM.
jugernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:18 AM   #853
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Unhappy Re: Project Lemon Drop: anything but stock!

I need some input........

I have been putting the Helmsman Spar Varnish on the underside side of the bed wood. I let it cure for 6 or so hours, lightly sanded with a 400 grit, wiped the boards down with a tack cloth, before applying the next coat. After the first coat I noticed that the varnish appeared to be ( for the lack of a better word to describe it) like an orange peal. I thought each coat I applied after the first would level everything out, but it DID NOT.

Perhaps it was caused by bubbles in the varnish. I don't think it is dust, because after a good sweep and mopping of the garage floor, I hung plastic up in the middle of garage to create a hopefully a sealed off work area.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas about what caused it? Did I apply to much varnish for each coat?

I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong before I start on the top side of the wood!

I just finished putting on the last coat and its late. I try to post a picture tomorrow.

Thanks

Old 08-20-2017, 08:25 AM   #854
Joe Pass

What worked best for me was 2 coats underneath and 3 on the top side. Each coat kept getting better but brush marks and some dust still appeared. I decided to sand the top side once more and sprayed the 4th last coat using a paint gun...That made the difference in my case. Since then I tend to brush the first 2-3 coats and spray the last one after block sanding. Brushing the first few coats worked into the grain and the spraying laid it down smooth and after couple of weeks of drying I polished the finish with some VERY fine steel wool and wood wax...Hope that helps....
You can buy the Helmsman in a spray can but the gun allowed a thicker mixture to be applied...Not seeing your pictures it's kind of a guess
Joe
Joe Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:21 PM   #855
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Thanks Joe. Did you thin the varnish when you sprayed it on? What did you thin it with?

I forgot to mention in my previous post that brush lines can be seen and felt on the surface of the board.

There is the picture. The orange peel can be seen where the light is reflecting off the board.

The final coat I brushed on was a thin light coat, that seemed to level things out, but not much.
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2017, 04:36 PM   #856
Joe Pass

Looks like some fisheyes around the grain which maybe something in or on the surface affecting it to lay flat....I have thinned the Helmsman with some mineral spirits, it just depends on the gun tip size...My Binks M1G gun will spray it thick easily...but you would have to experiment....You can add a additive like Smoothie to help eliminate fisheyes...

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-u...3082710&rt=rud

If you would like you can run up here with the wood and use my gun..you can knock it out...glad to help
Joe
Old 08-20-2017, 04:46 PM   #857
Joe Pass

The first picture is sanded after 3 brushed coats and the last is after I sprayed the last coat.....Like always, I got excited and called that good but the next one will get 1 more sprayed coat to take it to that next level in which I suspect you're shooting for.....
Joe
Name:  DSCN2072.JPG
Views: 910
Size:  49.1 KB

Name:  DSCN2073.JPG
Views: 911
Size:  45.5 KB
Old 08-20-2017, 05:04 PM   #858
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Thumbs up Re: Project Lemon Drop: anything but stock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pass View Post
Looks like some fisheyes around the grain which maybe something in or on the surface affecting it to lay flat....I have thinned the Helmsman with some mineral spirits, it just depends on the gun tip size...My Binks M1G gun will spray it thick easily...but you would have to experiment....You can add a additive like Smoothie to help eliminate fisheyes...

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-u...3082710&rt=rud

If you would like you can run up here with the wood and use my gun..you can knock it out...glad to help
Joe
I think I'm gonna have to take you up on your offer. I put four brushed coats on the bottom and will probably put 2 or 3 brushed coats on the top and maybe 2 sprayed coats.

As always thanks Joe. I'll text you later so we can set up a time.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:24 PM   #859
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Here are some additional pictures of the bed wood. I think they show the issue I've described. I put 3 coats on the top, keeping in mind that I may have to sand it all off and start over. I'm not happy with the finish, because I wanted something that looked a lot smoother.

On a positive, I really like the color, especially in the sun.

Tell me what you think?
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2017, 10:29 PM   #860
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

The other thing I was able to do this weekend was finish the install of the rear cab enclosure and install the seats. I have to say that with the enclosure covered with vinyl, it eliminates a lot more of the echo. I very happy with the sound of the stereo system too. I still have to get the kick panels covered and add some leather to the center seat.
Attached Images

Last edited by jugernot; 08-21-2017 at 10:30 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-21-2017, 11:01 PM   #861
RRR18

Let that wood cure for a month and then buff it out. It worked pretty damn good for me. Your wood looks better than mine did before I buffed it out soooo I think it should come out good. Mine isn't like clear coat exactly but it ain't orange peel either.

Follow on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/rtimes3c10/

Ryan
RRR18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:48 PM   #862
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

I say block sand it and recoat until you're happy with the smoothness, then finish with an automotive clear, assuming the coating has cured enough to sand and the products are compatible

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 06:30 PM   #863
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Thanks for all the input. Since I'm in no hurry ( I still have 5 years before my daughter graduates from school). So I'm gonna let the finish cure for a few weeks, then give it a light sand it the hopes it will even out the finish. Then if that looks promising, I'll give it another coat. Perhaps spray it on, wet sand and then buff. If that doesn't work then I'll sand it all the way down and start over.

On a different note. I was going through the cabinets in the garage, clearing out things I don't need and came across this. I forgot all about it. I bought it years ago with the thought of using it, but of course I didn't.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what year it is from? I did a search on the interweb and could not find anything. The part number on the distributor looks like it reads 6048201. Which I think is still used by Mallory, according to Summit Racing " Mallory Aftermarket Fuel Injection Distributors 6148201"

Not sure what I will do with it, yet.
Attached Images

Last edited by jugernot; 08-26-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:48 PM   #864
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Anything new?

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:18 PM   #865
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 View Post
Anything new?
Yes, thanks for asking. I picked up a piece of aluminum diamond plate that I will be using as a heat shield between the bed wood and mufflers. I need to cut it down a little, bend the edges to make it rigid. Then figure out how to attach it, so it can be removed without having to take the bed wood out. Once I have that done I will install the bed wood and hardware.

The bed wood itself looks a lot better after letting it sit for a few months to cure. A lot of the the "fish eyes" have disappeared.

Probably a quick thing to finish, I've just been lazy.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:45 PM   #866
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Last week I dropped off my kick panels to have them covered with upholstery. I found a place called "Blueline Interiors".

https://www.yelp.com/biz/blue-line-a...riors-petaluma

I picked them up today, put all the components back in and then installed them. Of Course I had to do a sound test with the radio and they still sound GOOOOOD.

I also have the heat shields that will be installed on the underside the bed sills, above the mufflers. To protect the bed wood.
Attached Images

Last edited by jugernot; 03-12-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:53 PM   #867
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

I finally had some time, nice weather, and a day off to work on the heat shields. I took a couple of pictures of them mocked up. Once they were in the location I wanted I drilled holes through the cross members and heat shields. I attached U-Nuts to the cross members, so I could attach the heat shields from the underside of the bed. I made two separate heat shields so they could be removed from the underside if needed.

Now the fun begin. I get to install the bed wood. I bet that's going to be lot of fun??????

Maybe I will try to start that tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2018, 09:47 AM   #868
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Keep chipping away. The bed wood is actually fun. It’s a great sense of accomplishment

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:46 PM   #869
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

For the last few weeks the weather has been cooperating and I have been able to do some work on Lemon Drop. The first picture shows the heat shield installed above the mufflers.

The rest of the pictures show the bed wood installed. Which was a very time consuming process. It actually took me about 3 weekends. I had to trim off about 1/4 inch of the outer boards. The ones that are right next to the bed sides, under the L bracket. I even had to swap and turn boards so that all the brackets could fit into the slots on the boards. There was a lot of tightening, loosening, shifting, moving, etc., before they were able to fit properly. But the bed if finally done. YEAH.

Whats on the list next, trying to figure out why my transmission temp gauge in not working, modify the passenger side wiper arm, and install the center console seat (which I have to decide if I want to replace the fabric with leather).
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2018, 07:48 PM   #870
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Some more pics.
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2018, 10:08 PM   #871
1971_c10

Looking good!!!

Build Thread for my '71 Pro-Touring: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722029
My C10 has it's own facebook page! www.facebook.com/c10cj - it is a public page so no facebook account required to browse through.
1971_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:26 AM   #872
Jason7121

Very nice looks great
Jason7121 is offline   Reply With Quote