The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2018, 12:15 PM   #51
slowcpe

Re: RetroSound kickpanel speaker

The spacer is strictly for clearance. Of course the larger the spacer, the more its going to interfere with the e-brake and dimmer switch. If you want to get to audiophile standards, ABS plastic panel and a metal backing isn't the best scenario for an enclosure

From what I can tell, and I can do some measuring this evening, anything less than 2" should work without a spacer. Of course you can get these enclosures loaded with a speaker that is guaranteed to fit. I also see a lot of guys online using a Kicker coaxial.

Given that I can get Rockford at dealer cost and I really want components I'm trying to make a 2.24" deep speaker fit without "massaging" the kick panel. Hart_Rod's speakers are about a 1/4" deeper than the ones in my pics.

I agree with sound deadening material on the metal kick panel and plan on doing something like that myself.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:26 PM   #52
lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Thanks for all of the information guys! Can anyone post some pictures of these kick panels installed?
I bought a pair of speaker pods and attached them to my kick panels.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Then I filled them with a nice set of Pioneer component speakers.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:28 PM   #53
Perpendicular

Picture didn't come through that i can see?
Perpendicular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:30 PM   #54
lux

I hope this photo shows up.
Sorry I still have trouble posting some times
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:47 AM   #55
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcpe View Post
The spacer is strictly for clearance. Of course the larger the spacer, the more its going to interfere with the e-brake and dimmer switch. If you want to get to audiophile standards, ABS plastic panel and a metal backing isn't the best scenario for an enclosure

From what I can tell, and I can do some measuring this evening, anything less than 2" should work without a spacer. Of course you can get these enclosures loaded with a speaker that is guaranteed to fit. I also see a lot of guys online using a Kicker coaxial.

Given that I can get Rockford at dealer cost and I really want components I'm trying to make a 2.24" deep speaker fit without "massaging" the kick panel. Hart_Rod's speakers are about a 1/4" deeper than the ones in my pics.

I agree with sound deadening material on the metal kick panel and plan on doing something like that myself.
Making any progress? I almost have everything wired, but haven't started the front speaker installation yet....
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:58 PM   #56
timski69gmc

Following. I’ve been looking at these as well. I already have some Kenwoods to install. Not sure of the depth.
timski69gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:24 AM   #57
Hart_Rod

I've got most of my rear stereo install done. Now on to the front. Looks like the Retro panels will have to be trimmed somewhat. That won't be a big issue. Trying to figure out where to mount my components on the other hand will....very limited space under the dash with everything I have going on..... Any suggestions or pictures out there????
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2018, 10:05 AM   #58
Johoevasmatrix

Quote:
I've got most of my rear stereo install done. Now on to the front. Looks like the Retro panels will have to be trimmed somewhat. That won't be a big issue. Trying to figure out where to mount my components on the other hand will....very limited space under the dash with everything I have going on..... Any suggestions or pictures out there????
Who’s kick panel did you use and is that a speaker in the air vent?
Johoevasmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:16 AM   #59
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johoevasmatrix View Post
Who’s kick panel did you use and is that a speaker in the air vent?
RetroSound. No its the AC fan motor.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:19 PM   #60
slowcpe

Looks good! So what are you using to mount your kick panels? I put the passenger side in last night and was surprised I didn't need a spacer. Mine fit good other than I will have to do some trimming it seems close to the firewall.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:35 PM   #61
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Looks good! So what are you using to mount your kick panels? I put the passenger side in last night and was surprised I didn't need a spacer. Mine fit good other than I will have to do some trimming it seems close to the firewall.
No spacer at all????

The screws for the vent pull and some Velcro on the bottom and in the corner. I think the weather stripping will also help. Mine fit pretty well will need to do some minor trimming. I definitely need the spacer.... Where are you mounting your tweeters and your component box?

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 04-11-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:35 PM   #62
slowcpe

Quote:
No spacer at all????

The screws for the vent pull and some Velcro on the bottom and in the corner. I think the weather stripping will also help. Mine fit pretty well will need to do some minor trimming. I definitely need the spacer.... Where are you mounting your tweeters and your component box?
Yeah it appeared to sit flush last night when I set it in there. I was surprised. I was thinking Velcro as well. I've got 1/2" and 1" spacers sitting on the work bench in case I need them.

I had about decided I was going to mount them on the dash facing the windshield but I may mount them a little lower where the a/c vents go.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:06 AM   #63
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Yeah it appeared to sit flush last night when I set it in there. I was surprised. I was thinking Velcro as well. I've got 1/2" and 1" spacers sitting on the work bench in case I need them.

I had about decided I was going to mount them on the dash facing the windshield but I may mount them a little lower where the a/c vents go.

Started the install on the passenger side kick panel last night. The best method I found to get a good fitment was to make a cardboard template of the RetroSound panel and then trim it to fit your truck kick panel. Once it fits, transfer the template to the ABS panel and trim it. The pull vent mount and Velcro in the other two corners will keep it secured. Also, my PrecisionReplacement push on door seal overlaps the panel door edge to help keep it tight also.

Here's a picture of where I'm thinking of mounting the tweeters. I chose here for simplicity of wiring but am open to suggestions or recommendations.

Then I need to find a good location for the component piece, real estate under my dash is a premium....

Once I'm finished with that, I will cover the panel in speaker carpet and call it done.

I took a quick look at the drivers side. It will not even go in there with the dimmer switch in current location so I guess I'm going to be looking at some different options here.....
Attached Images

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 04-12-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:34 PM   #64
Johoevasmatrix

Quote:

Who’s spacer did you go with?I've got a pair of MTX the speaker fits in the panel but the grill will not go in so I will need to bring the speaker out 1/2 inch to make the grill work.
Johoevasmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:42 PM   #65
darrellyates

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint_9 View Post
Keep us updated and post pictures of the install. Ive been contemplating either getting these or making a custom pair so any info is helpful. Thanks.
I used the kick panel blanks, got them from Crutchfield. I mounted 6 3/4 inch Kicker 2 way speakers, 100 watts RMS in them. I had to use a 1/2 inch spacer. Emergency Brake still clears (but it is close). I lined the back of the kick panel with NVX sound deadener (like dynamat only less expensive). I put a 12 inch Pioneer Shallow mount in a custom box where the gas tank used to be. I then made side panels for behind the door pillars, and mounted 5 1/2 inch 2-way Polk speakers there, just for a little "fill" sound.

I'm running a NVX 900.1 amp. It's 75 watts x 4 at 4 ohms, and 250 x 1 for the sub, also at 4 ohms. I buried the amp under the console, with enough clearance for air circulation.

Good enough for me. Only modification is I had to move the dimmer switch to the right. I just put the "left" hole of the switch in the "right" hole on the floor and drilled another hole. I used a nut on the back of the new bolt/in the new hole.

Everything works, and it sounds pretty good. Good enough for an old guy anyway. Will post up a pix of interior. You can see the speaker in the kick panel. Am going to remove, and cover the panel with vinyl that matches the door panel, but want to drive it some first...
Attached Images

darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:29 AM   #66
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellyates View Post
I used the kick panel blanks, got them from Crutchfield. I mounted 6 3/4 inch Kicker 2 way speakers, 100 watts RMS in them. I had to use a 1/2 inch spacer. Emergency Brake still clears (but it is close). I lined the back of the kick panel with NVX sound deadener (like dynamat only less expensive). I put a 12 inch Pioneer Shallow mount in a custom box where the gas tank used to be. I then made side panels for behind the door pillars, and mounted 5 1/2 inch 2-way Polk speakers there, just for a little "fill" sound.

I'm running a NVX 900.1 amp. It's 75 watts x 4 at 4 ohms, and 250 x 1 for the sub, also at 4 ohms. I buried the amp under the console, with enough clearance for air circulation.

Good enough for me. Only modification is I had to move the dimmer switch to the right. I just put the "left" hole of the switch in the "right" hole on the floor and drilled another hole. I used a nut on the back of the new bolt/in the new hole.

Everything works, and it sounds pretty good. Good enough for an old guy anyway. Will post up a pix of interior. You can see the speaker in the kick panel. Am going to remove, and cover the panel with vinyl that matches the door panel, but want to drive it some first...
Do you have any closer pictures?
Old 04-19-2018, 03:09 PM   #67
darrellyates

Quote:
Sure. Carpet is black, they are a little hard to see...

And, I used screws to attach by kick panels. I was less worried about the screw heads than I was working them loose with my feet...
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2018, 03:10 PM   #68
darrellyates

Quote:
And, the sub box that I'm proudest of....
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2018, 08:21 AM   #69
Hart_Rod

Quote:
And, the sub box that I'm proudest of....
Looks great, thanks for the pictures .
Old 04-23-2018, 08:35 AM   #70
Hart_Rod

I got the drivers side kick panel covered and installed and I think I have the E-brake clearance issue figured out. I basically moved the pad over about any inch and it will be bolt on when I'm done. I also think I have a solution for the dimmer switch and will play with that some more this evening...
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2018, 09:25 AM   #71
darrellyates

Rob:

An elegant solution. Looks very nice. I want to get mine covered as well... Someday....
Old 04-23-2018, 09:38 AM   #72
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Rob:

An elegant solution. Looks very nice. I want to get mine covered as well... Someday....
Thanks Darrell! It's funny how the elegant solution is sometimes the simplest...
Old 04-30-2018, 09:42 AM   #73
Hart_Rod

Pedal bracket built and installed.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2018, 09:58 AM   #74
KY_GMC

Quote:
Pedal bracket built and installed.
How did you do that?

Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592157
Engine Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592233
KY_GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:38 AM   #75
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_GMC View Post
How did you do that?
I removed the pedal pad (it's just spot welded on). I then made an "L" bracket that I welded he pad to, just shifted to the passenger side about an inch. I then bolted it back to the E-brake arm.