The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2018, 03:35 PM   #1
JMD

Defective lifters from Edelbrock

Hi all,
I'm halfway through putting an Edelbrock top end on my 454 (kit #2095) and I noticed one of the supplied lifters has a pinhole in the side. Almost like an oil hole, but only one lifter has it so I'm guessing it's a defect that somehow made it through QC. I know I should wait until I get a new set shipped to me, but it's a back ordered part so who knows when it will actually show up. Could be months...So my question is, am I out of my mind to use that lifter despite the blemish in it's side?
Old 04-16-2018, 04:24 PM   #2
Steeveedee

Re: Defective lifters from Edelbrock

Do you really want to break the cam in twice? Because that's what you will have to do, for the lobe getting the new lifter.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:30 PM   #3
firedemon

i had a complete set of lifters and cam that had what looked like air bubbles in the castings that somehow made it through quality control edelbrock is junk don't trust them .
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:03 PM   #4
HO455
Post Whore

You purchased them in good faith that you were getting a quality product. You shouldn't be having to wait for a back order to move forward with your life. Especially for a common item like a Chevy lifter. I would be returning the whole set and going with a different brand.
The fact that Chevy V8 lifters are back ordered is a bad sign. Perhaps they have had a whole production run that is bad and are scrambling to make replacements. You may get just someone else's returned lifter, just to get you off their back. In addition if the cam goes south during break in you only get a cam and lifter replaced under warranty. The rest of the damage is on you. That means new bearings and possibly rehoneing or worst case a new bore and new pistons. Not fun and very aggravating.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:41 PM   #5
Steeveedee

If you haven't already installed it, send it back so that E-brock can give other people with defective lifters their replacements sooner, and buy something else that is good. Win-win!

Simi Valley, CA
Old 04-16-2018, 09:48 PM   #6
rvrfoot

Comp cam.
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:06 PM   #7
Boog
laying low

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
You purchased them in good faith that you were getting a quality product. You shouldn't be having to wait for a back order to move forward with your life. Especially for a common item like a Chevy lifter. I would be returning the whole set and going with a different brand.
The fact that Chevy V8 lifters are back ordered is a bad sign. Perhaps they have had a whole production run that is bad and are scrambling to make replacements. You may get just someone else's returned lifter, just to get you off their back. In addition if the cam goes south during break in you only get a cam and lifter replaced under warranty. The rest of the damage is on you. That means new bearings and possibly rehoneing or worst case a new bore and new pistons. Not fun and very aggravating.
Worst case scenarios really suck don't they? I'd heed the advice here and send that batch back and shop elsewhere.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:44 PM   #8
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrfoot View Post
Comp cam.
X2, their customer service is A1 in my book!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:13 PM   #9
JMD

All very good points. I've been in contact with Summit several times and they tell me that Edelbrock has processed my request for a new set shipped to my house. Now I'm just waiting for verification that it shipped. If I don't hear anything by Thursday afternoon I'm supposed to give Summit a call.

Here's a pic of the worst lifter. What do you think?
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2018, 03:36 PM   #10
Steeveedee

It's not in a stressful enough position to be a serious threat. But in general, a pit can have a sharp edge, and as the engine cycles in temperature, a crack can propagate through the metal. Eventually the lifter could crack. Not saying definitely would, just that it could. I wouldn't run it except in a vehicle that I didn't plan on keeping a long time.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 04-17-2018, 04:13 PM   #11
bill3rail

Bad QC!

Bill
Old 04-17-2018, 07:23 PM   #12
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrfoot View Post
Comp cam.
Comp cam is hit or miss too. I had the wire clips in their lower end lifters break in some of the lifters in my small block. I only noticed because i found pieces of broken wire in the lifter valley when I pulled the intake to change a leaking gasket. The brand new engine had to come out so I could completely disassemble to make sure there were no pieces left inside. I upgraded them to the c-clip type of lifters

Then I had several of their stamped rocker arms crack and break (thought I broke a valve). Found cracks starting in several more of them on inspection. Upgraded to a better quality rocker arm from them too.

Lesson I learned was the low end comp cam parts are JUNK.

On my LS build I bought a set of $$$ Morel lifters. The outsides of the bodies were covered in machining marks/scratches like they were completely missed in QC. They went back (vendor accepted them back without issue after he saw the pictures) and I replaced them with a high end GM lifter.

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:00 PM   #13
HO455
Post Whore

I know it looks innocuous but you don't know what piece of debris is waiting to come out of that hole and start scraping away at the lifter bore. I know, again with the worst case scenerio.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:45 AM   #14
68Gold/white

There's so very much information and so many folks here, it's difficult to get a feel for who knows what, and why...
ALL, ALL the cam companies use import lesser expensive lifters. No one should EVER use cam company lifters..period...

Hylift-Johnson are the only American made lifters. They are far and away the very best lifters made, nothing close. 1-800-441-1400.

There's likely nothing wrong with your lifter with a pit in it, but it's an indication of the overall quality, which is not good...

I'd see if you could send back ALL your lifters for a credit, buy the Hylift Johnson's.

Hylift Johnson has a website. BEWARE there is another lifter company called Johnson Lifters, NOT the same as Hylift Johnson.
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:00 AM   #15
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

I just had 2 Lunati lifters and 2 summit pushrods fail in my last rebuild. I swore to myself I would not use anything but Delphi (GM/Hylift Johnson) lifters in the future and Crower pushrods. So, my last build on the top end came out as follows:
Lunati Cam(Flat Tappet), Dephi lifters (Hylift Johnson), cower pushrods, Harland Sharp rockers, AFR Heads with springs replaced to match Cam specs.
No issues...

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)

Last edited by D.PASSMORE; 04-18-2018 at 10:18 AM.
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:25 PM   #16
TheRocket

Comp Cams is a sister company to F.A.S.T. - Fuel Air Spark Technology. I can tell you this about FAST and their customer service. This company must be owned by Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton. Every problem with their product and lousy customer service is the fault of George Bush and the Russians. They will place blame instead of standing behind their product.

Stay away!
TheRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:02 AM   #17
JMD

The good news is that Edelbrock has shipped me a new set. Unfortunately they are coming from the other side of the country and were shipped snail mail, so it will be here on Monday at the earliest. In my mind they should air mail it for free since it was their screw up but...whatever. It probably won't hold me up since I have plenty to do in the mean time, but it's still irritating.