The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2018, 02:46 PM   #1
hotwls13

Missing Heater Core Stuff??

I'm not at the engine compartment or cab part of me getting this thing roadworthy yet. But I feel like I'm missing some stuff. Specifically heater core stuff, AC stuff etc.

Here are a couple pics, fill in the blanks please. This is a budget build so I'm not sure I'll even replace the parts (as far as heat/air). Just trying to see what's what.
Attached Images

hotwls13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:03 PM   #2
demian5

Re: Missing Heater Core Stuff??

I sure do like those valve covers...
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:26 PM   #3
hotwls13

Quote:
Originally Posted by demian5 View Post
I sure do like those valve covers...
Thanks. I do too. I’m kind of partial to the black and red ones but this a budget build so parts that can be cleaned and reused are staying for the most part. Haha
Old 04-19-2018, 08:58 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I don't have any pictures but you might take a look at this thread.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=534285

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:12 AM   #5
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Looks like your heater part looks good No problems so far There is a shut off valve for the AC units ant i will picture on my 1971 Cheyenne 1/2 ton.

My grand father told me AC is for wimps.

But the heater must work if you plan on driving it off this property.

He was a man about maintenance.He told me Heaters are used for when your cold.But there used to keep your engine cool.He said the heater is the once peace you don't let it quit working you fix it

He said if your out an about and 40 miles away from home.An your truck starts to over heat turn on the heater 30 sec's is a life time for water to travel from your 270 degree's engine to your heater cools it back down to 190.

So he said You fry or the truck frys when you stop an it 100 degrees out you still fry.

Turn on the heater turn it to defroster open up your Vent wings and watch your temp gauge.All ways be a gauge water every 5-10 miles or ever 5-10 mins scan your gauges.

Did that in a 1965 3/4 ton with a trailer hauling scrap metal for 15 years.Never blew a head gasket Did get my truck Hot but always made it home.

Make sure your truck works all gauges test them ever so often.
Attached Images

stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:14 AM   #6
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

More pics of the AC and heater unit
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2018, 12:08 PM   #7
hotwls13

I got some interior pics. It's a mess, I know. Just trying to figure out what I have/don't have as far as AC/Heat components.

Sorry, no idea why my pics keep showing up upside down. :/
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2018, 10:19 AM   #8
hotwls13

Bumping this back up. Looking into the AC and heat components a little more. Looks like my "Air Selector Duct Assembly" is in pretty rough shape. I may be able to repair it (they are $90 new online).

I know I'm missing the AC compressor. Any suggestions for a new one? Does it have to be year correct or will any AC compressor work??

I'm still not at the point of working on the heat/AC and this is a budget build. I may end up not using any of it (or just heat). But if I can piece together the system and have factory heat/air without spending close to "Vintage Air" $$ that would be great.

My daily driver is a Scion XB and I do enjoy the AC (especially here in BAKErsfield, CA where it has been 98-100 already this year). My truck will get limited use but AC would be nice.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:39 AM   #9
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

They make all the stuff to get your truck running again for the heater core.One thing you need to work on you need to take the AC box off the fire wall get a new gasket kit and a new heater core and clean the outer box and inside with simple green and repaint it black.Then spend the 300-500 for all the parts to make the heater and AC unit ready to use.That peace out on the fire wall is the one i rather look at first cus if the heater core is bad it will leak and smell horrible.In my 1971 i did what i did it blows so hot I changed the controller and cables all in one motion cost me 139.00 about 4 1/2 years ago the ducking under the dash the 2 plastic peaces will cost you 115.00 the metal heater thing you can find it at any one of these guys that sell used parts plus there are 2 relays you have to change one for the AC and one is for the Blower motor that is another thing bet off changing the blower motor and clean out any crap that has collected in or around the blower motor fan wheel
Old 06-21-2018, 11:11 AM   #10
hotwls13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post
They make all the stuff to get your truck running again for the heater core.One thing you need to work on you need to take the AC box off the fire wall get a new gasket kit and a new heater core and clean the outer box and inside with simple green and repaint it black.Then spend the 300-500 for all the parts to make the heater and AC unit ready to use.That peace out on the fire wall is the one i rather look at first cus if the heater core is bad it will leak and smell horrible.In my 1971 i did what i did it blows so hot I changed the controller and cables all in one motion cost me 139.00 about 4 1/2 years ago the ducking under the dash the 2 plastic peaces will cost you 115.00 the plus metal heater thing you can find it at any one of these guys that sell used parts there are 2 relays you have to change one for the AC and one is for the Blower motor that is another thing bet off changing the blower motor and clean out any crap that has collected in or around the blower motor fan wheel
Thanks for all that info, so trying to break it all down:

1. Take the AC box off the fire wall get a new gasket kit and a new heater core... (not sure how much those are, I'll do some googling). So basically take it all out, go through it, clean it, paint it replace as needed. I'm assuming I just take the heater core to AC place to get it tested? Or just assume it's gonna be bad and buy a new one?

2. Then spend the 300-500 for all the parts to make the heater and AC unit ready to use... Is this in addition to the gasket kit and core?

3. Change the controller and cables all in one motion cost me 139.00... (assuming this is included in the $300-500??)

4. Ducting under the dash the 2 plastic peaces will cost you 115.00... (again should be in that $300-500??)

5. metal heater thing you can find it at any one of these guys that sell used parts... (which metal heater thing are you referring to??)

6. There are 2 relays you have to change one for the AC and one is for the Blower motor... I saw both of the relays under the dash, one actually fell off when I closed the passenger door. haha Those should be cheap

7. Blower motor that is another thing bet off changing the blower motor... I'll price one of those as well

8. AC Compressor... I didn't see you mention this. I know they are not cheap. Better to just bite the bullet and buy a new one? Or try to find a junkyard one out of a later model truck??

Once I start adding up all those parts, it may make more sense ($$ wise) to just buy an aftermarket unit. My truck will in no way be a period correct truck. That doesn't matter to me. Heat+AC+cost savings matter to me.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:22 AM   #11
hotwls13

Just priced some stuff on Truckandcarshop.

This is assuming I don't need all new lines, new condensor, canister, etc etc.

$862 + Tax (so about $920).

That's way more than I'm willing pay right now for AC. The heater stuff would be less to get functional.

I "may" have a line on an older, unused under dash kit (from like Hot Rod Air) with compressor etc for like $200. I may just go that route for AC.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2018, 12:22 PM   #12
cebra

Basically here are the parts in the heating/cooling system I can think of - names are not proper:
Under dash:
Vents/ducts (5 vents, 6 ducts)
2 Air Diverter Boxes
Compressor Switch, Blower Motor Relay, BM Resistor, "Wiring Harness"
AC/Heater Control Unit (has 1 switch and 3 cables)
PS vent vacuum actuator (and vac line)
Heater Core
Under hood:
heater hose vacuum actuator (and vac line)
cowl air vacuum actuator (and vac line)
2 heater hoses (technically 3 since one is split for the heater vacuum actuator dealio)
Evaporator
POV valve
AC line from Evap to Compressor
AC line from Compressor to Drier
AC line from Evap to Condensor
Compressor
Condensor
Drier (and hard line to Condensor)
Blower Motor
Large Air Diverter Box under hood
cebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:25 PM   #13
cebra

Oh, and the aforementioned gaskets for the 3 "air diverter boxes" and the compressor bracket. A lot of the prices you have are excessively high. I recommend as someone else mentioned to disassemble and clean and start putting back together with the cheapest parts you can source (new heater core is like $25 so don't go through the painstaking labor of removing the outside box and don't do this).
Old 06-21-2018, 12:32 PM   #14
hotwls13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebra View Post
I recommend as someone else mentioned to disassemble and clean and start putting back together with the cheapest parts you can source (new heater core is like $25 so don't go through the painstaking labor of removing the outside box and don't do this).
OK cool, I will proceed this way and see how it goes. Thanks for the "just replace the heater core while u are in there" nudge. I HATE going back later and doing double work just to save a little $$. A lot of $$, well that's another story. Haha

And what are your thoughts on this AC system I could pickup for $200?? Don't know much about it other than according to the seller "he bought it for a project years ago and never ended up using it". Does it look complete?
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2018, 05:15 PM   #15
cebra

I wouldn't pay $200 for that. That is not the correct diverter box and it would require more fab work than it is worth in my eyes (unless compressor/hoses/drier) are all for a 67-72 which they don't appear to be. I would just post a wtb when you figure out what you are needing, i.e. during reassembly. It really shouldn't cost that much if you shop smart. The compressor is the only expensive part and they can be sourced (new and used). Look at the LMC catalog and they have great exploded views of the ac system. Right now you need a heater core and the large inside diverter box from what I see. You can probably salvage the other inside ones with fiberglas work. I would start from there and build out and accumulate parts as you go. Just the way I would go about it.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:35 PM   #16
hotwls13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebra View Post
I wouldn't pay $200 for that. That is not the correct diverter box and it would require more fab work than it is worth in my eyes (unless compressor/hoses/drier) are all for a 67-72 which they don't appear to be. I would just post a wtb when you figure out what you are needing, i.e. during reassembly. It really shouldn't cost that much if you shop smart. The compressor is the only expensive part and they can be sourced (new and used). Look at the LMC catalog and they have great exploded views of the ac system. Right now you need a heater core and the large inside diverter box from what I see. You can probably salvage the other inside ones with fiberglas work. I would start from there and build out and accumulate parts as you go. Just the way I would go about it.
Ok cool, I’ll move forward with what I have. Anything to “watch out for” taking this stuff apart? Just don’t want to break something that I’m going to have to buy. Also, I think I read the hood hinge needs to come off (and maybe the inner fender well)??
Old 06-22-2018, 10:29 AM   #17
cebra

Not really, there are a lot of threads about it and it isn't difficult. It is easier to remove the inner fender and hood hinge I think. Clean/paint the firewall while you are in there, replace the gaskets, hardware from a cheap hardware store if needed, fix the 2 large diverter boxes with fiberglas if needed, and replace heater core. Paint the metal plate on the backside of the box, put some "heat tape" inside the evap box. Everything after that is easy but the large box on the inside/outside is the one you only want to do once so I would spend the time making it right.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:58 PM   #18
67chevemall

To save money just wire the fan to a toggle switch.
And the cables are not necessary. You can reach the controls by hand. I leave mine on defrost and turn the heat one on in winter. And sell all the ac parts. Ac is for girls.
There is just saved you 700
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:12 PM   #19
hotwls13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevemall View Post
To save money just wire the fan to a toggle switch.
And the cables are not necessary. You can reach the controls by hand. I leave mine on defrost and turn the heat one on in winter. And sell all the ac parts. Ac is for girls.
There is just saved you 700
Haha!! Guess I'm a girl then cause I love my AC and wouldn't own a daily driver without it. As for this truck, it won't be a daily and the AC part of it may have to take a back seat. I will get the AC working eventually though.

With all the leaves and mouse nests I've seen posted, I'm definitely pulling mine and gonna go through it (clean it up and fix/paint the hardware before putting it back together). I'll put a new heater core in too. Gonna try to salvage and repair all that I can.

Not sure what the average spring/summer temps are where you live, but here in BAKERsfield CA, we typically get 60-90 days of 100+ degrees per season (with another 60 days in the 90s). It's HOT!
Old 06-22-2018, 07:05 PM   #20
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Me i like factory stuff it worked for 40 years no hiccups I was putting out there to get the heater working with all the plastic venting whit to come to the AC part that is another 500.00.I have 3 AC trucks that none of them are working But my 3 chevy trucks with Heaters they all work.That is one thing i don't skimp out on I'm In Calif as well Riverside Not as hot where you are but we get no rain you get more rain and snow then us Valley people.My grand father told me.A heater in the summer time is very much needed.You go towing on a 103 day and your in a steep grade.with 1-2 tons on your truck.An your temp gauge starts climbing.Ya most of you just talk on your phone or turn up the AC.That's why i see you on the side of the road FRYING

NB# 1 RULE WHEN YOU SEE THE TEMP GOING IN TO THE HOT TURN OFF THE AC SLOW DOWN TURN ON THE HEATER THAT EXTRA 30 SEC IS A LIFE TIME TO A HOT MOTOR 45 DEGREES COOLER BY THE TIME IT ENTER THE ENGINE AGAIN.

I will never drive a truck with out a working heater.Never blown a head gasket in any of my trucks that i own 5 and i'm in the worst business to blow up a motors Junk hauling business on some way out back road up by you Cohnopass or the Grapevine those are engine KILLERS That's why i like a full gauge package

Last edited by stsalvage; 06-22-2018 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:19 AM   #21
Bigdav160

What I see from the pictures is your compressor and brackets are missing. Probably when the headers were installed they were removed. The lower compressor bracket isn't very compatible with headers. Other than Corvette of the 1970's those brackets were not used beyond 1972 (trucks not cars). Occasionally a whole set shows up on the parts board. The POA valve is also missing. Likely it won't cool that well with the "POA eliminator" that has been installed. The heater control valve isn't there neither. You didn't take a picture of the radiator area so I can not tell what condition the condenser is in. You'll want a new drier anyway. On the inside of the truck were your heater resides it's difficult to see what's damaged. Te diverter box, the S duct, compressor switch and ducts. All that has to come out anyway to check the heater core.

$200 look like a good deal on the aftermarket kit. That probably ran $1500 new. I can't tell from the pics which model that is or whether or not it would fit in the truck.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:51 PM   #22
hotwls13

It’s been hot as heck lately so I haven’t been messing with the truck. Looking at a pic of a ac glovebox today I now realize why my diverter box (or whatever that thing is called) is so jacked up. Previous owner must of bashed and cut that thing up to make room for the STANDARD NO AC glovebox!?!? I guess that’s another thing I need to order (an ac glovebox).
Old 06-29-2018, 08:42 AM   #23
cebra

Actually now that I look at it closer, that AC system you found on craigslist looks like the LMC kit. If so I would jump on it for $200. I would ask more questions about it and see what he has.