The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2005, 07:29 PM   #1
crosby

driveshaft help, what can I do?

Hey everybody. I'm pulling the tranny, xfer case, and axles from an 85K30, and I am stuck on the rear driveshaft at the rear axle. All four of the bolts holding the driveshaft on are stripped and rounded off. Nice job somebody else set up for me. I can't even tell what size they are. At first I thought they were metric for some reason, now I have no idea. Vise Grips only add insult to injury, and there is no way to get my air tools in there, because the driveshaft's in the way. I am thinking about cutting the straps to get it off, any other ideas? I don't want to ruin the yoke or the driveshaft. I could cut off the bolt heads, but I would still have to get the bolts out afterwards. That, and I am finding the NP205 and TH400 are VERY HEAVY!! Plus I am sick. Thanks very much for any help. You should see how I dropped the tranny and transfer case. Cut through the frame with a sawzall, peeled back the frame and down she came. Lots of rust on this one. Okay, thanks very much.
crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 08:04 PM   #2
ozrulzk5
What can I do next ????

sounds like the best idea is cutting the straps off. once you get the shaft out of the way you can get to the rounded off bolts. if you want to. try taking a chisel and try tapping it on the edges of the bolt and breaking them loose.
ozrulzk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 10:24 PM   #3
crosby

Thanks OZ. Here's a picture of the frame where I cut through to get the tranny and xfer case out. It's so much fun taking these things apart sometimes. This wasn't one of them.
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2005, 12:57 AM   #4
soleeagle

You werent joking at all about the rust. I would probibly cut the straps to get it out and then soak with PB Blaster for a couple of days.

'85 Chevy Silverado 4X4
'91 Chevy 4X4 Suburban

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/545941
soleeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 06:41 AM   #5
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

For $30 you can buy the Sears special set of nut/bolt removers. They work but you need to apply force slowly.
gchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 08:31 AM   #6
crosby

Hi guys, thanks for your help. GCHEMIST, what do they look like, or what do I ask for? Thank you.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:29 AM   #7
Hemikiller

The bolts "were" probably a Torx head bolt. Mine were on the '78 rear I got to replace the blownup one in the '73. Had the same problem and ended up cutting off the straps...

Holy Rust, Batman...and I thought Connecticut was bad...sheesh...

Present Stable:
73 C-30 CrewCab Dually 4X2
91 4X2 'burban
89 4X4 'burban
84 4x2 'burban (R.I.P.)
Hemikiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 11:40 AM   #8
crosby

Thanks Hemikiller, they are definitely hex head. I would be surprised if they were metric, although I am not sure when they started with that. Do the newer trucks have metric fasteners?
Old 02-21-2005, 11:46 AM   #9
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosby
Thanks Hemikiller, they are definitely hex head. I would be surprised if they were metric, although I am not sure when they started with that. Do the newer trucks have metric fasteners?
My '86 is a horrible mixture of standard and metric fasteners. You can't work on it without bringing out both sets of tools.

Slonaker
Old 02-21-2005, 11:59 AM   #10
crosby

mutt truck

That's not good news. I thought Chevy trucks would have standard fasteners, at least then. I thought metric fasteners were for Volkswagens .
Looking at the truck, it's not an 87. The body is an 87, says K10 on the fender, but they're not the original fenders (different color), the doors are different altogether (black) and the body (cab and bed) are two tone red and gray. Kind of a nice color scheme actually, but I want to paint it bright red, and keep the maroon interior. The frame and running gear look older to me, say 78 or 79. I found a transfer case shift indicator in the glovebox with the fulltime pattern lo lock, lo, neutral, hi, hi lock. I am guessing then that this truck would have a TH400 and a NP203 (full time?). How can I figure out what year this thing is? Thanks guys, you are always such a big help.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:06 PM   #11
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Go www.sears.com and look up parts Sears item #00952166000 Mfr. model #52166 Or ask for the Crafstman bolt-out kits. I need need to buy some too.
gchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 12:03 AM   #12
crosby

Thanks very much, I appreciate you taking the time to send me this information. Take care.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:13 AM   #13
soleeagle

I have a set of the bolt out tools that my mom got me for Christmas one year. They are one of the tools you wont use very much but you will be glad you have them when you need them.

'85 Chevy Silverado 4X4
'91 Chevy 4X4 Suburban

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/545941
soleeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 03:46 AM   #14
Dooley

The rear driveshaft bolts on my 79 K30 were Torx bolts. I ran into that when I needed to change out the carrier bearing. The GM dealers didn't even have a mechanic working there with a Torx socket in 80 but, they had replacement bolts in stock! Go figure! I cut the straps off and bought a set of sockets from the SnapOn truck.
Dooley is offline   Reply With Quote