The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2006, 02:00 PM   #1
C10 Club Tennessee

Thought I fixed it, but apparently I didn't

Well, I had to put on a new starter yesterday and put it on and was still having a starting/electrical problem. Drove it up to Advance and they tested the battery and it was bad. This isn't what I'm pissed about last week I thought I fixed my fuel gauge. I was driving to Advance and the fuel gauge just started going to full-problem is it didn't stop there. It went all the way to 3:00.

I've went back and looked at all my posts about this damn thing and I can't find anything that related to THIS.

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:23 PM   #2
Mongo
YES_____NO

Re: Thought I fixed it, but apparently I didn't

sounds like your sending unit is going south. or maybe you need one of them new resistor kits for the gauge.

People many not remember what you said or what you did, but they will remember the way you made them feel. - unknown

Cause, remember: no matter where you go... there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai 1984

Help support the board
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:26 PM   #3
C10 Club Tennessee

That's just it I just bought a fix-a-gauge resistor for the fuel and put a different printed circuit board. It takes me forever to finally get the damn needle to budge and finally when it does it won't stay still!!!!!

www.gmtruckshow.com

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
Old 02-04-2006, 02:27 PM   #4
69TowRig

If either of the connections (the ground or the signal) become disconnected from the sender then the gauge pegs out like that. Make sure all the connections are good and tight.

From what I understand the fix-a-gauge is only for the 1/8th= empty, 1/2 = full gauge fix.

I just went through fixing my sending unit last week. What most people would have thrown out I repaired and it is working great. The tiny wires inside the unit had a broken turn and the grounds inside the sender were all corroded. You may want to pull the sender apart and burnish all the contacts and grounding points. It made mine rock-steady and didn't cost me anything but time.
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...

Last edited by 69TowRig; 02-04-2006 at 02:29 PM.
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 06:08 PM   #5
C10 Club Tennessee

Well, pulled off the wire and turned on the key and the gauge went to 3:00 so I guess that means it's the sender.

What's the odds that the resistor and the sender would be the problem?

www.gmtruckshow.com

Old 02-04-2006, 07:42 PM   #6
69TowRig

*EDITED* I had a brain-fart and screwed up the suggestion. I fixed it now.

Do this first, take the lead from the sender (at the tank end) and ground it out with a jumper to something solid on the truck. The guage should then go to "empty". If it does, the problem is at the sender and not the resistor. Double-check the ground for the sender too, jumper from the sender ground tab to the same solid grounding point on the truck.

Man I hate it for you. I had a myriad of electrical issues, and spent about 2 months tracking most of them down at the end of last year. After unplugging and plugging every harness, plug, etc, using silicone dielectric grease on every connection, replacing numerous fuses and bulbs, a switch here and there, I finally have a solid electrical system. The tank sender issue was the last one I tackled, and I only did that last weekend.

Last edited by 69TowRig; 02-04-2006 at 08:20 PM.
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 07:44 PM   #7
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Damn Brian, you are having rotten luck, maybe you should have bought a Gremlin
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 11:26 PM   #8
C10 Club Tennessee

You say that like you know ones for sale?

Maybe I'll take you up on it, where is it?

www.gmtruckshow.com