The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2016, 12:00 AM   #51
pritch

Re: Anyone have this original in-bed spare tire carrier mounted?

I don't have a good picture of mine, but it looks just like the rest of these so it must be original. I wouldn't mind a 2nd one, a 2nd spare. They are a great place to store your tire chains, plus often it's easier to change tires than install chains.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:08 AM   #52
100%Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
Holy crap 100% Chevy - those photos are end of story as far as the in-bed spare topic.

In my own mind I am a better man for having seen those pictures, no joke.

Thanks for posting and will be interested to see if anyone can top your post with that original SPID and photo of the factory installation.

I had a funny (to me anyway) thought - where someone installs four (4) spare carriers in each of the four corners of their bed; and puts a fifth one under the bed... rolling with five spares - take that triple A!
I'm glad my pictures helped.
Ya'll gotta remember that back then,these trucks used relatively small tires compared to today.
I have P235-70-15 on it now,which are a little too wide for the stock rims width.
When I was a young red-neck type deer hunter,I drove a 63,C-10.I always had 2 re-capped mudgrip tires in the bed to use in deer season and street tires for the rest of the year.It was a common thing down here.
On the spid-What does the SM mean?
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:40 AM   #53
cericd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Chevy View Post
On the spid-What does the SM mean?
Side Mount(ed)

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:42 PM   #54
pritch

I took a couple pictures of my set-up today:

I just have a piece of all-thread for a bolt

The tire is held on with these spacers and wing-nut:

Like this:

It works for me!
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:51 AM   #55
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

That's bolt set-up is nice Pritch.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:48 AM   #56
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

It does appear the screws for the top are the same as that for the spring for the jack handle behind the door (5/16" x 3/4"). Might be shorter however. Just received a carrier and the top holes are 3/8". So unless I'm mistaken that calls for a 5/16" thread.

That's my report.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 03-16-2018, 06:03 PM   #57
cericd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cericd View Post
Here is a pic of a selection from the Parts Catalog that I got from another thread. Also, a couple pics of my NOS carriage bolt.

Earlier in this thread, I believe, 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 said that the bolt I have pictured above is not the correct bolt for a 1970 C/10 fleetside with the in-bed mounted spare. Am I reading the parts manual wrong or is it just because my bolt is threaded farther up the shaft of the bolt? I was pretty sure this one was correct. If not, what is the part number for the correct bolt?

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:08 PM   #58
harpo231

Looks right to me...
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:46 PM   #59
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by cericd View Post
Earlier in this thread, I believe, 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 said that the bolt I have pictured above is not the correct bolt for a 1970 C/10 fleetside with the in-bed mounted spare. Am I reading the parts manual wrong or is it just because my bolt is threaded farther up the shaft of the bolt? I was pretty sure this one was correct. If not, what is the part number for the correct bolt?
I may have misspoke or was confused. Somewhere in this thread SSTim identified the correct bolts. That looks like one of them.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:53 AM   #60
hotwls13

Sorry to bring back an old thread. Just wanted to say how happy I am I found this post. My newly acquired truck had been converted to propane at one time then converted back to gas. It had big steel hoops mounted in the bed. Just last night I got the hoops out (with some choice words in the process). I saw the strange mount on the inside of the bed near where the hoops were. I assumed it was some bracket having to do with the propane stuff. I had planned to remove it (probably cutting some bolts) but I got tired last night and decided to save the removal for another day. Today I found this thread and realized what the mount is. It is staying and will be put to use once I get a carriage bolt etc.
Attached Images

hotwls13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:55 AM   #61
hotwls13

Haha, just realized after looking at my own pics, the carriage bolt is in the first pic. That means I have the carriage bolt sitting in a box.
hotwls13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:17 AM   #62
Coley

So quick questions regarding this spare tire carrier option:
Were the upper holes needed to mount it, pre-drilled into the upper flange?...or were they added/drilled and then 'touched up' on the assembly line?
What was the distance(s) from the front bed panel to the wheel centerline?

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:28 PM   #63
SS Tim

Its great to see old threads do some current good.
If the carrier is factory stock it will be listed as P13 S/M WHEEL CARRIER on the SPID. However many were sold as GM accessories and many aftermarket versions exist.

It was located, by the factory, on the left bedside forward of the wheelhouse. The mounting specifics are in the assembly manual.
Off the top of my head there is a smaller than standard floor bolt hole that locates the carrier it and two other holes are drilled to fit upon bed assembly. If I get a chance I will confirm/expand later. It has two or three different distances SWB, LWB and I believe Longhorn specifc. Really need to dig through my assembly manual. But basically the tire tucks to the wheelhouse.
Attached Images

Last edited by SS Tim; 04-22-2018 at 12:27 PM.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:39 PM   #64
Thundarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
So quick questions regarding this spare tire carrier option:
Were the upper holes needed to mount it, pre-drilled into the upper flange?...or were they added/drilled and then 'touched up' on the assembly line?
What was the distance(s) from the front bed panel to the wheel centerline?

Coley
I moved mine from the rear bed drivers side to the front bed passengers side for weight balance and to get it out of the way when using the bed. This is what the old existing holes look like.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Thundarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:47 PM   #65
Coley

Interesting.....makes me wonder when the holes were added on the assembly line.
you would think before paint?.....or did they include it in all the truck beds from the get go?

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:07 PM   #66
Thundarr

I think they mostly just drilled out the rail for the top two mounts at the dealer and then reused the lower bed bolt. My bracket had the matching original paint but was mounted at the rear (which doesn't sound standard). The top holes were not tapped, just drilled. It had very little surface corrosion in the hole, maybe because it was high up and didn't get too wet over the years.

I investigated all that so I could prep it when I moved it forward and to the other side.
Hope that helps.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-19-2018, 05:39 PM   #67
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr View Post
I moved mine from the rear bed drivers side...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr View Post
I think they mostly just drilled out the rail for the top two mounts at the dealer and then reused the lower bed bolt. My bracket had the matching original paint but was mounted at the rear (which doesn't sound standard). The top holes were not tapped, just drilled...]
Not sure why you think yours is a particularly useful reference. Clearly its not the factory location nor hardware. Looks like they only used one bolt on the bottom as well.

The RPO P13 carrier replaced the standard P10 uderbed carrier.

On Fleetsides it was located by a production reference hole in the left bedside floor flange.

The locating hole was opened for a production through bolt and an existing fastener (@ station 72.49 or 84.49) hole used for the other lower corner.

The bottom is secured in two locations with an existing production bed floor bolt hardware stack and an added bolt of the same type.

We know the carrier top was match drilled and through bolted with phillips screws, nuts and washers.

Of interest, spacers (crush sleeves?) were also used on RPO E81 wood floor Fleetsides and two different carriage bolts were used, 10 series and 20-30 series.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2018, 07:53 PM   #68
Thundarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Not sure why you think yours is a particularly useful reference. Clearly its not the factory location nor hardware. Looks like they only used one bolt on the bottom as well.
I would not pretend to know factory restoration facts. Mine clearly was not factory. I just found it unusual that it had the original paint on the bracket if it was not factory. I guess it could have been painted to match and then mounted by the dealer or the owner.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:37 PM   #69
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
As long as this was bumped to the top I will add pictures of the original NOS hardware I have. The first picture is the individual pieces and the second picture shows all of the pieces assembled. I think the picture above from the assembly manual (post #21) shows the two different nuts depending on whether the spare tire hardware uses the lock or not. The part number for the special nut is 3682846. The box is for the lock.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 04-21-2018 at 11:45 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 01:07 AM   #70
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

Thanks for posting that Leon. That's the set-up I am going with on my 67 with P13 SM SPARE WHEEL EQ. as well as A97 SM SPARE WHEEL LOCK EQ. All the research I can find for the spare wheel lock in 67 is a chain with a plastic sleeve and a padlock. I don't know if your set-up was stock in 67 but that's what I'm going with.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1524373369
Attached Images

1967 Oshawa built LWB Fleetside. 327,3 OTT, 515 Vermilion, CST, PS, PB, Shoulder Harness, Tach,Vac, Speed Warning, Choke Delete, Manual Throttle, Fawn interior. Dealer installed A/C 04/2015, N34 Rosewood Wheel 06/2023
Members who I have met personally. Metaldoc, chevnkevin, 62 Longbed, 72LHorn, 72MARIO, YBNORML, TBONE1964, Classic Bowties, Chevemall, Dagnabbitt.
Canuckvetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 02:26 AM   #71
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
As long as this was bumped to the top I will add pictures of the original NOS hardware I have. The first picture is the individual pieces and the second picture shows all of the pieces assembled. I think the picture above from the assembly manual (post #21) shows the two different nuts depending on whether the spare tire hardware uses the lock or not. The part number for the special nut is 3682846. The box is for the lock.

LockDoc
Great stuff Leon!
Did some digging and confirmed bolt 3991023 is for 1/2 ton applications being a round head square neck bolt 7/16"-20 x 4".
Callout [4] in the drawing

The/a 3/4-1 ton bolt 3898396 is the same but 1/2"-20 x 8 1/8".
Callout [6] in the drawing

So it would go that Callout [5] is a plain 7/16" lug nut and Callout [7] is a plain 1/2-20" lug nut as notated on the assembly drawing.
Really wish the truck assembly manual had part numbers (any part numbers even long superceded) like my Camaro and Vette manuals do!

Nut 3682846 (yours) is the 1/2 ton specific application for the keyed lock.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:36 AM   #72
SS Tim

For some reason I can't find my 70 brochure. There is a very small image (LWB C10) of the P13 carrier. If someone has a copy and wants to check for visable details on the face side of the wheel....
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2018, 11:57 AM   #73
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckvetter View Post
Thanks for posting that Leon. That's the set-up I am going with on my 67 with P13 SM SPARE WHEEL EQ. as well as A97 SM SPARE WHEEL LOCK EQ. All the research I can find for the spare wheel lock in 67 is a chain with a plastic sleeve and a padlock. I don't know if your set-up was stock in 67 but that's what I'm going with.
No problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Great stuff Leon!
Did some digging and confirmed bolt 3991023 is for 1/2 ton applications being a round head square neck bolt 7/16"-20 x 4".
Callout [4] in the drawing

The/a 3/4-1 ton bolt 3898396 is the same but 1/2"-20 x 8 1/8".
Callout [6] in the drawing

So it would go that Callout [5] is a plain 7/16" lug nut and Callout [7] is a plain 1/2-20" lug nut as notated on the assembly drawing.
Really wish the truck assembly manual had part numbers (any part numbers even long superceded) like my Camaro and Vette manuals do!

Nut 3682846 (yours) is the 1/2 ton specific application for the keyed lock.
In later years I think the shorter 7/16-20 bolt was superceded by the longer one and just "cut to fit the application" for Blazers and others. My bolt is 6 1/2" long from just under the head to the end of the threads.

I had a few of the 3682846 nuts that were about 1/2" shorter than the one pictured. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of one before I sold them all. The groove in those was in the center of the nut. EDIT: it would be like the one on the bolt that Canuckvetter posted.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 04-22-2018 at 12:04 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:17 AM   #74
67chevemall

Good info here. Thanks
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:05 PM   #75
52napco

Here's a pic of mine
Attached Images

52napco is offline   Reply With Quote