The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2010, 11:43 PM   #1
ozman3803

Re: Disc Brake Upgrade Reference Thread

Cool, I figured they had just use a 71+ front end. I'll try to get some pictures up soon, thanks for the help.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:03 AM   #2
laid_out_70

got some c20 questions. i have a 70. what is the required to swap to disc up front and would like to run drop spindles. would just rather swap to 1/2 ton specs but i dont want to search for a rear end. thanks in advance
Old 07-20-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by laid_out_70 View Post
got some c20 questions. i have a 70. what is the required to swap to disc up front and would like to run drop spindles. would just rather swap to 1/2 ton specs but i dont want to search for a rear end. thanks in advance
Front is standard swap: Use 71-87 front parts. 73-87's are easier to find in wrecking yards if you plan a budget approach vs. buying a kit from a vendor.

The rear is going to require swapping..... thus some searching for the replacement. If it's a rear coil truck, 71-72 5-lug housings are a direct swap. 67-70 6-lug housings are 1.5" narrower than 71-72 housings & can have aftermarket 5-lug axles/drums swapped in. 73-87 housings are wider like the 71-72's. These will require more effort for the swap depending again on rear suspension type.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
Sick5
C10 CLUB Y QUE!

Nice thread!
i have a 84 full front clip i rather just use the a arms and drop spindels from it
and keep the assit power steering.. is it possible? will the 65 tie rods be a issue hooking up to a new drop spindel
Old 07-20-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick5 View Post
Nice thread!
i have a 84 full front clip i rather just use the a arms and drop spindels from it
and keep the assit power steering.. is it possible? will the 65 tie rods be a issue hooking up to a new drop spindel
They won't be a direct bolt-up deal. You'll need 73-87 steering parts or the tie-rod adapters previously mentioned to go from 65 to post-73 spindles.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 07-21-2010, 02:00 AM   #6
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

Great thread with a lot of excellent info. Bookmarking for reference for my own upcoming swap.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #7
Sick5
C10 CLUB Y QUE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
They won't be a direct bolt-up deal. You'll need 73-87 steering parts or the tie-rod adapters previously mentioned to go from 65 to post-73 spindles.

If I use my steering parts will still be able to use the assist or will have to upgrade the steering box
Old 07-21-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
If I use my steering parts will still be able to use the assist or will have to upgrade the steering box
I can't say for sure. I would guess you'll get better results w/the later model power steering.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-21-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
raycow

Quote:
If you have an external PS cylinder that connects to the center link and want to keep it, you will need to use the aftermarket tie rod adapter sleeves. The alternative would be to find a machine shop that knows how to properly ream the tapered holes in the center link to accept the later tie rod ends.

Ray
Old 07-21-2010, 08:03 PM   #10
Sick5
C10 CLUB Y QUE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycow View Post
If you have an external PS cylinder that connects to the center link and want to keep it, you will need to use the aftermarket tie rod adapter sleeves. The alternative would be to find a machine shop that knows how to properly ream the tapered holes in the center link to accept the later tie rod ends.

Ray
never mind i rather just oder the plate from
CAPTAINFAB.....

HEy CAPTAINFAB im going to be sending you some paypal cash tomorrow!!!
need the power steering bracket and brake bracket
Old 07-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #11
ljackson

My son and I put the parts from an ’81 GMC under the 64 on the original cross member. Everything went pretty smooth. One thing to look out for, when drilling the holes out for the 9/16 U bolts, be sure to keep the bit from wandering toward the cross member. We had 2 holes that we had to wrench because we could not get a socket on them. We used the booster and MC from the ’81. We also reused all of the front brake lines. We disconnected the line on the going to the rear underneath the cab. The lines going to the front brakes will use the oval holes in front of the cross member. We used some new ¼” lines going to the back. 1, 51” long and 1, 12” line and 2 couplers. I bought a ¼ to 3/16 adapter but I did not need it. The original rear brake hose had a 3/16 double flare. The hose that I got from O’reilly’s that was supposed to be for the ’64 had a ¼ fitting. The numbers are: Brake Best BH401640. The box also reads that this number replaces DOR BH36502 and RAY 36502.

The truck sits a little higher now in the front. I suppose due to the old springs sagging. We haven’t done the back yet. Also it turns tighter to the left than the right. Do you know if I have something wrong? I may trim the right stop.

I couldn't find my pics. I'll take more and post them later.

http://zacks64longfleet.shutterfly.com/

Higher res. photos in my gallery.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:13 AM   #12
5264chevytrucks

This information is so useful!!! I am curious if this will work for my 52 C-10. I purchased a '88 1500 for the 350 crate motor and the 5 speed manual transmission. I want to stay with 6 lug on the '52. Can I use the '88 truck for my conversion?
Old 08-09-2010, 12:23 AM   #13
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I'm not that familar with the '49-'55 truck frames, so I'm not sure what to say at this point. What is the width of the frame directly above the front axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5264chevytrucks View Post
This information is so useful!!! I am curious if this will work for my 52 C-10. I purchased a '88 1500 for the 350 crate motor and the 5 speed manual transmission. I want to stay with 6 lug on the '52. Can I use the '88 truck for my conversion?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Old 08-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #14
CVA59

If i have a 73-87 front end. What rotors will interchange with these spindles so i will have 5 4-1/2 or 5 4-3/4" bolt pattern? My wheels are both bolt patterns.

www.23t.weebly.com

Old 08-08-2010, 07:54 PM   #15
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVA59 View Post
If i have a 73-87 front end. What rotors will interchange with these spindles so i will have 5 4-1/2 or 5 4-3/4" bolt pattern? My wheels are both bolt patterns.
Get them machined/re-drilled for car pattern or check into these....
http://www.performanceonline.com/DIS...10-TRUCK-5514/
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-09-2010, 02:01 PM   #16
CVA59

I know this has been beat to death on this site but, can someone please give me the face to face width on the front end & rear end of my 64 with drums? Also the same dimensions for the 73-87 front end rotors & rear end drums. I am trying to figure different wheels and backspacing configurations.

www.23t.weebly.com

Old 08-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #17
raycow

The rears are 62" and 63-1/2". I have never measured the fronts.

Ray
Old 08-10-2010, 12:16 AM   #18
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I'll see if I can remember to measure a couple front suspensions I have at the shop tomorrow.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:38 AM   #19
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I did get around to measuring a couple of front suspensions. Bear in mind that these were both 'unloaded' suspensions, so the actual width in the driving position will be slightly wider. Plus I couldn't get a real accurate measurement with where they were.

So the '63-'70 C10 front drum brake suspension measures 62" WMS to WMS. The '73-'87 C10 front disc brake suspension measures 63.5". So they appear to be basically the same width as the rear differentials for the respective years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVA59 View Post
I know this has been beat to death on this site but, can someone please give me the face to face width on the front end & rear end of my 64 with drums? Also the same dimensions for the 73-87 front end rotors & rear end drums. I am trying to figure different wheels and backspacing configurations.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #20
Sick5
C10 CLUB Y QUE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I looked for those adapter adjusting sleeves but couldn'r find them....I know I've seen them before, and have seen guys on here using them. Maybe one of them will chime in. Seems to me they were a little $$. You might check into the cost on those inner tierods I listed above, plus a pair of stock '73-'87 adjusting sleeves, and see how they compare to the adapter sleeves cost wise.
well i looked every were.i do hope someone can help. im trying to buy this sometime this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivisix View Post
here's what i've found to be the easiest: Early Classic Enterprises has a spindle that works with the stock 64-66 suspension. I've grabbed calipers, booster, master and small parts from a 80 G-20 van. Yard parts=$50. Dropped spindles and 6 lug 1 1/4 rotors+dust caps, bearings, etc small pieces=500. So for $550 I will upgrade everything. If I went to 5 lug I could subtract about 130 from that total of new parts.

Freaking gorgeous pieces from ECE. can't wait to get my spindles. The extra benefit is that they are 12" rotors, not the 10" found in some of the kits. Massive freaking rotors.

I'll post pics of the upgrade when I have all the parts.
sounds good but already bought spindel for 70-87
and i have an assit power steering. which i dont really need to upgrade
that front 84 clip i have need to be overhauled i need to buy every for it
on top of that i still need adapter for the power steering and for the power brake boosterplus..its adding up!
Old 08-13-2010, 12:15 AM   #21
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You might try sending a PM to JGross. I was just looking at a pic of his front steering, and it looks like he may have bought what you're looking for.

Here is where the pic is.......
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=416069

Quote:
well i looked every were.i do hope someone can help. im trying to buy this sometime this week
Old 08-13-2010, 06:33 PM   #22
Sick5
C10 CLUB Y QUE!

Quote:
You might try sending a PM to JGross. I was just looking at a pic of his front steering, and it looks like he may have bought what you're looking for.

Here is where the pic is.......
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=416069

well i just sold my spindels and bought the ones on ecc
Old 08-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #23
CVA59

Quote:
I did get around to measuring a couple of front suspensions. Bear in mind that these were both 'unloaded' suspensions, so the actual width in the driving position will be slightly wider. Plus I couldn't get a real accurate measurement with where they were.

So the '63-'70 C10 front drum brake suspension measures 62" WMS to WMS. The '73-'87 C10 front disc brake suspension measures 63.5". So they appear to be basically the same width as the rear differentials for the respective years.
Thanks for the help Fab. That is the info i was needing. I just wanted to make the front end is the same width as the rear.

www.23t.weebly.com

Old 08-10-2010, 10:47 PM   #24
Sick5
C10 CLUB Y QUE!

adapter sleeve that mates your original inner tie rod to the later model outer tie rod
does anyone know where to buy this at
Old 08-10-2010, 11:33 PM   #25
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The guys that use them get them from CPP, ECE and maybe POL. There are ways around buying those. One is to simply upgrade the entire steering linkage to the '73-'87 parts. Another way, but I haven't confirmed this, is to change your inner tierods to the ES2020L tierods. These will mate up with the '73-'87 outer tierods with the '73-'87 adjusting sleeve. But like I said, I haven't confirmed that those inners will fit the taper in the '63-'70 draglink.

Quote:
adapter sleeve that mates your original inner tie rod to the later model outer tie rod
does anyone know where to buy this at