The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2015, 12:04 PM   #1
djw32

Opinions on blazers/jimmy?

Hello all,

I'm thinking about getting a blazer or jimmy, and I was wondering what your major complaints, if any, are about owning one.

Please post up with the good and bad.

One stupid question, how is the seal from the top of the windshield to the hardtop?
djw32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:24 PM   #2
asolde

Re: Opinions on blazers/jimmy?

I love to drive my Blazer I have no issues with mine. The seal between the hard top and windshield is a black bulb type seal.
asolde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:26 PM   #3
truckster

The windshield header seals just fine. It's the top corners by the windows that leak. If you replace the corner deflectors (available as an aftermarket part) and use silicone when you put them on, the leaking can be controlled.

I love my Blazer. It's my favorite vehicle, and I have a 79 Camaro and a 95 Z28 convertible.

Biggest complaint? Probably the fact that it's hard to get some parts.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:35 AM   #4
doo142

No complaints, but you have to get use to all the attention!! Especially with the top off, which is the only way to go. I don't let mine get wet anymore so no leaks here!!
doo142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:10 PM   #5
raggedjim

Since we all love blazers you will get biased answers, but, here are my thoughts...

First, check it for rust! Get the best, rust free body you can find. These hide rust in places you can only imagine. Since you are in Cali you may get lucky and find a good one.

Second, the tops are heavy and take up a lot of room to store.

These are the only big things that I can think of. They are basically chevy trucks, so you get all the rattles and wind noise of an old truck plus more because of the extra top seals and joints. All things you can make better, and a small price to pay for owning the coolest truck in town!

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:24 PM   #6
djw32

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
The windshield header seals just fine. It's the top corners by the windows that leak. If you replace the corner deflectors (available as an aftermarket part) and use silicone when you put them on, the leaking can be controlled.

I love my Blazer. It's my favorite vehicle, and I have a 79 Camaro and a 95 Z28 convertible.

Biggest complaint? Probably the fact that it's hard to get some parts.
Which parts are hard to find?
djw32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:13 PM   #7
Blazerowner

He's probably talking about some of the trim for the carpet, top etc. Its also hard to find carpet leveling mats. Everything else seems to be easy to get. I love my Blazer. Its one of the coolest trucks on the road in my opinion. Built rock solid and enough room to carry gear and people. I looked long and hard for my 72. I wanted the single wall top, CST trim and A/C. The added bonus is its a highlander and I found out after I bought it. I have no complaints but then again mine is pretty clean so I don't have to do much work. One thing to think about is get a truck you know you will have time for. I restored a 71 about 8 years ago and it was a full frame off. I worked almost every weekend on it for two years. Yes it was really nice after but it felt like a second job. I actually sold it shortly after on a whim because I had a really good offer on it. This time around I got what I wanted and with not nearly as much work needed.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:00 PM   #8
7D2N

The bad: I had to sell one
The good: I found another one.
7D2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:04 PM   #9
71swb4x4

My only real big complaint is that I have to wear a hat so my bald head doesn't get sunburned.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:00 PM   #10
Sacramento70
Blazer Fanatic

I prefer Chevy over GMC ( I like the 1969-70 grill). There lots of fun and real head turners when done up. BUT, its seems like every time i fix something, something else breaks. I have a love/hate relationship with my blazer. I'm either at wits end with frustration or in complete joy cause she's on the road again.

Patience and understanding will guide a lot when working on these trucks. Just some thoughts to think about.