The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2019, 10:48 AM   #1
67alldiy

courtesy/dome lights

looking for some pointers

Trying to figure out why my dome light is not working. Recently replaced the turn signal switch, brake switch, check grounds and all dash lights work properly, with the exception of the right dash light that controls the blinker(Blinkers do work)

all fuses have been replaced and everything looks good.

I have 12v running to both orange and white wires from the fuse box to the dome light. The dome light is plastic and mounted to the cab. I am confused on the whole grounding of this circuit

I also have 12v coming from the white wire in the headlight switch that feeds the dome switch which I thought should be ground

I do not have any door pins that would suggest no courtesy lights when you open the door however when I was replacing the old turn signal, and ordered the wrong part from summit it actually functioned like stated above. I did notice a small squared pin located on the bottom of the latch(where the door latches) on the cab. No wires are running from the latch to suggest a ground

after getting the new/correct turn signal installed and everything working correctly the only thing happening now is what was mentioned above. No dome light, 12v in both orange and white wire to dome light, and white wire from headlight switch

Is it possible I still have the wrong turn signal switch?
67alldiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:49 AM   #2
67alldiy

Re: courtesy/dome lights

this is on a 67 c10 truck with gauges
Old 05-06-2019, 12:22 PM   #3
special-K
Special Order

The turn signals are a different circuit. The indicator bulb is probably burned out on that.

You have power to the light? Bulb is good? Is fixture corroded? Could you jump a ground from the fixture to one of the screws?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:27 PM   #4
RustyPile

The white wire completes the ground side of the circuit. The reason you have 12 volts on the white wire is because apparently you have lost the ground.. The orange wire is the feed wire. the voltage is fed to the dome light through the orange wire.. Power goes through the load (the dome light bulb) into the white wire. Grounding the white wire completes the circuit and the dome light comes on. With no door jamb switches, the circuit depends on the headlight switch to provide the ground, not the turn signal switch. The only way to turn on the dome light is by rotating the headlight switch knob counter clockwise until it stops. If this doesn't turn on the dome light, look for a break in the white wire, white wire disconnected from the headlight switch, loss of grounding on the headlight switch, or other loose or bad connection in the white wire circuit.
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:54 PM   #5
67alldiy

Great. That is awesome to hear.

Looks like I am missing ground to the switch.
If I lost ground where would ground come from? It sounds like if I can locate this then I can fix the problem.

Does the switch ground out to the dash? Right now I have it hanging from the back due to checking lights and etc.

The white wire circuit from the fuse box to the dome light is in good shape and nothing looks bad. Just no ground hook up.

Maybe the headlights them self ground the headlight switch?
Old 05-06-2019, 01:01 PM   #6
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67alldiy View Post
Great. That is awesome to hear.

Looks like I am missing ground to the switch.
If I lost ground where would ground come from? It sounds like if I can locate this then I can fix the problem.

Does the switch ground out to the dash? Right now I have it hanging from the back due to checking lights and etc.

The white wire circuit from the fuse box to the dome light is in good shape and nothing looks bad. Just no ground hook up.

Maybe the headlights them self ground the headlight switch?
The head light switch has to be grounded, not "hanging from the back".. Read my post #4.. The answers to all those questions are right there..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote