The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2019, 02:06 PM   #1
72bowtiestepper

Eastwood BC/CC paint

I have heard good & not so good reviews on Eastwood BC paint. It is on sale this month for 15% off and they have the color I want (GM rally red ) I am on a budget for this truck & money is tight !
Has anyone on here used this ? Any input would be appreciated.
Also, I will be using Nason clearcoat (That I already have )

Thanks guys !
72bowtiestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:55 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Eastwood BC/CC paint

Check spi...https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:07 PM   #3
nsb29

I would get SPI single stage but that’s me. You can get away with a less expensive BC if you use a good clear
Old 08-10-2019, 03:58 PM   #4
72bowtiestepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
I would get SPI single stage but that’s me. You can get away with a less expensive BC if you use a good clear
Thanks....I have used the Nason clear in the past with good results...just not quite sure about the Eastwood base. Does anyone know who makes the paint for them ? I am pretty sure Eastwood does not manufacture their own paint.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:09 PM   #5
Foot Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72bowtiestepper View Post
Thanks....I have used the Nason clear in the past with good results...just not quite sure about the Eastwood base. Does anyone know who makes the paint for them ? I am pretty sure Eastwood does not manufacture their own paint.
It doesn't matter who makes it for them because each paint manufacturer guards that information with vigor. Besides, each paint manufacturer makes a few different qualities of paint. For example, Nason is the low grade paint in the Exalta (DuPont) line. Private brand coatings (which Eastwood is) can be what the company wants it to be. They tell the manufacturer what they want, the price they want to pay and then the paint manufacturer produces a product that fits the criteria. You won't get the same "recipe" with a branded product, even if you think you can find out who makes it.

If you think about it, why would Kraft sell a grocery chain their exact same Kraft Dinner in a private label box to be sold at less money?

Buy your paint from your local paint store. They will coach you and advise you on best results possible... forget brand, go for the advice you get from the store staff! They will be able to tell you, based on your color choice, what color primer to use, how many coats you can expect to spray (some cheap paints require several coats to cover which negates the apparent savings when comparing cost per sprayable quart) and work out the best cost savings option for your choices.

Please remember, there's no such thing as good, cheap paint.

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:38 AM   #6
nsb29

Asking your local paint dealer is good advice. BUT VERIfY the information on less you’re familiar with there knowledge. Bens paint our local paint store don’t know squat and will tell you anything, Just because they’re working behind the counter they could have been selling shoes yesterday. As a rule the guy that’s mixing the paint is your best source of information
Old 08-12-2019, 09:47 AM   #7
72bowtiestepper

Quote:
Asking your local paint dealer is good advice. BUT VERIfY the information on less you’re familiar with there knowledge. Bens paint our local paint store don’t know squat and will tell you anything, Just because they’re working behind the counter they could have been selling shoes yesterday. As a rule the guy that’s mixing the paint is your best source of information
Very true....the counter guy at the auto paint supplier near me is not a source of info. either. I get info. from a former auto painter that is now retired.
I still would like to hear from someone that has acually USED eastwood BC paint.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:40 AM   #8
nsb29

Is the paint that Eastwood is selling going to save you enough money to take a chance ???
Old 09-10-2019, 02:28 PM   #9
Marty68

I second and Third spi.
they have a red base and clear that are really good.
you will not get a better product at twice the price.
the tech line is staffed by the owner.
their forum is full of very experienced helpful dudes.
red is expensive. the prep is a TON of work.... I would not risk doing it twice or failure because of saving $100 on paint.
Marty68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:31 PM   #10
toolboxchev

There is a following with SPI products. The guy who makes, sells, and does tech support is the same guy. He has a vested interest in making an individual succeed.

It makes for a very compelling case against the larger paint companies. Talk with Barry, Epoxy is the way to go. Anyone in the business knows this.

I just shot a repair job with his products. He was kind enough to spend the time and invest in my job, no matter how small and insignificant it was to the big guys. That speaks a tremendous amount to me.

X4 on SPI....
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:02 PM   #11
Marty68

I had an issue base slightly lifted the epoxy (not enough dry time between epoxy and base coat) I called tech line on a Saturday evening. Barry the owner answered the phone and walked me through the repair we chatted a bit I told him my dad was an elderly painter. Barry sent me 2 tshirts. the guy WILL not bash any other companys but WILL tell you brands that are compatible with his products. his part numbers are very similar to PPG #s. 870 885 etc
Marty68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:32 PM   #12
72bowtiestepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty68 View Post
I had an issue base slightly lifted the epoxy (not enough dry time between epoxy and base coat) I called tech line on a Saturday evening. Barry the owner answered the phone and walked me through the repair we chatted a bit I told him my dad was an elderly painter. Barry sent me 2 tshirts. the guy WILL not bash any other companys but WILL tell you brands that are compatible with his products. his part numbers are very similar to PPG #s. 870 885 etc
Wow....Now that is customer service !
Thanks for posting
Old 09-16-2019, 04:26 PM   #13
dz1087

Quote:
....... As a rule the guy that’s mixing the paint is your best source of information
Gotta laugh at this one. I worked at a Federated Auto right out of high school. We had a auto paint section. I was mixing paint about a week after I started there. Did I know anything about painting? Heck no! I just knew how to read the measurements on the mix sheet and the scale.

-Dz
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:23 PM   #14
LH Lead-Foot

I plan to use the SPI epoxy primer on 80 grit steel and over rage gold filler. In the project now. While I have used Nason before on other family vehicles, never had a problem as you just pay attention to get even coverage. I am using a metallic paint is the only difference. Just keeping the same mix ratio, the same pattern on each panel, push the paint, walk around and pull it back to finish.
The SPI Universal Clear is showing up on antique classics at Pebble Beach and winning big. The SPI website has photos and worth giving a try. Their Universal Clear will be on my project.

In the world of paint currently, most everyone is using the same resins, only some are double filtered, few more are higher grade produced from single source large companies. The chemistry is the same, but like most have heard, you get what you pay for, but having good customer service is an added bonus.

Depending your your tool box skills, it's like having a season tech talking to you and not afraid to show you the ropes and what they are seeing, all while having product knowledge. That extra help builds confidence regardless of what you are doing. That's priceless!

The last big dealership I worked at for over a decade, had a paint shop. One painter was in his 40's. This guy could take a 12 year old metallic brown factory paint job, blend a replacement front fender and walk it in the sun. Never could tell where the new started and the old began. That's talent...and I picked his brain even though I was not painting at the time.

Yes, a good solid single stage can be clear coated for that extra layer of protection and the ability to remove some orange peel if that's what you need.
That painter not only wet the floor, but placed poly on the floor, drove the vehicle over it, then back-taped it to the chassis. Then finished the masking. His tip was after a final inspection, he would let the new tack rags breath out of the package. He did not want the tacky part to transfer. Once done, he placed them in marked coffee cans for future use. He told me he could get a year out of 6 tack rags. Just a thumbs up tip.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:24 AM   #15
OL SKOOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LH Lead-Foot View Post
I plan to use the SPI epoxy primer on 80 grit steel and over rage gold filler. In the project now. While I have used Nason before on other family vehicles, never had a problem as you just pay attention to get even coverage. I am using a metallic paint is the only difference. Just keeping the same mix ratio, the same pattern on each panel, push the paint, walk around and pull it back to finish.
The SPI Universal Clear is showing up on antique classics at Pebble Beach and winning big. The SPI website has photos and worth giving a try. Their Universal Clear will be on my project.

In the world of paint currently, most everyone is using the same resins, only some are double filtered, few more are higher grade produced from single source large companies. The chemistry is the same, but like most have heard, you get what you pay for, but having good customer service is an added bonus.

Depending your your tool box skills, it's like having a season tech talking to you and not afraid to show you the ropes and what they are seeing, all while having product knowledge. That extra help builds confidence regardless of what you are doing. That's priceless!

The last big dealership I worked at for over a decade, had a paint shop. One painter was in his 40's. This guy could take a 12 year old metallic brown factory paint job, blend a replacement front fender and walk it in the sun. Never could tell where the new started and the old began. That's talent...and I picked his brain even though I was not painting at the time.

Yes, a good solid single stage can be clear coated for that extra layer of protection and the ability to remove some orange peel if that's what you need.
That painter not only wet the floor, but placed poly on the floor, drove the vehicle over it, then back-taped it to the chassis. Then finished the masking. His tip was after a final inspection, he would let the new tack rags breath out of the package. He did not want the tacky part to transfer. Once done, he placed them in marked coffee cans for future use. He told me he could get a year out of 6 tack rags. Just a thumbs up tip.
That is a great tip on the tack rags thank you
OL SKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote