The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2016, 01:24 PM   #101
bluex

Re: 1986 Short bed 2WD

Good choice on the CPP kit. I'll be watching for the install details in here.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:48 AM   #102
MalibuSSwagon

Yes I've been planning this for quite some time. Did alot of research and settled on the CPP kit as it's the complete conversion. Other kits would be over 2k for the conversion after getting $$$ coilovers and all this BS. I was just wanting a simple static coil drop and CPP was within budget. However, apparently the 2 piece driveshaft will not jive with the trailing arm crossmember, so I'm taking the TKO600 I bought from a neighbor for a screaming deal and putting it in the truck. Getting annoyed with the worn out SM465 anyways, time to jettison that boat anchor.

Also, scored some parts last week. Manual trans tilt column with intermittent wiper switch for $20! Came out of an 87 K5, it was a weird truck tho, was ordered with the Silverado package but no AC, power nothing, no cruise either but I gotta rebuild the column anyways so I'll add a cruise stalk I have. Also a few other odds and ends, a dashpad to re-wrap and some trim. I got one 90-91 power mirror, hoping to get a set this weekend plus the harness so I can add the power mirrors, locks and windows. Then the truck will just need AC. I've been spoiled by my Custom Cruiser and 9C1 with their full power options and ice cold AC, I want all that in the truck!
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:18 PM   #103
LT7A

Nice work on all of the changes on this rig. Completely different from when you started. And now you are going to have a killer drivetrain. Will be really fun to drive. BTW, I say drivetrain, meaning all of the components from engine to axle. Some people use it to mean driveshaft, which is just one of the components. But with the transmission you've got going in, you'll have made that thing into a muscle car in wolf's clothing.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:28 AM   #104
MalibuSSwagon

So scored these this weekend. Door shells are junk but I made a deal with the salvage yard owner for the complete doors so I'd have all the little pieces I need.

Only downer is some joker pulled the lock and window switches and clipped the harness. Also destroyed the passenger panel for some reason....

Well whatever still a deal. I'll just cut my panels to fit the switches. Pretty happy about this, got bored with the dumbo ear mirrors. Plus scored some new dash speakers from the same blazer, and the yard was having a customer appreciation day so got junkyard burgers and free t shirts outta the deal.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:20 AM   #105
MalibuSSwagon

The CPP trailing arm kit arrived this morning! However was missing the panhard bracket for the rear axle and the bumpstops. Also I wanted black powdercoat but it was chipped anyways so I'll just scuff and shoot the pieces in black before I install it all.
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2017, 07:47 PM   #106
bluex

Any updates on your suspension install? Here are a few on mine if you haven't seen it yet.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=723539
Old 02-02-2017, 10:02 AM   #107
MalibuSSwagon

Paul,

I got a buyer for my rear leaf springs so I'm pulling them out this weekend. Giving me the motivation to start the install. Currently trying to decide which rear springs to get. So I'll be updating soon with any luck.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:08 PM   #108
bluex

Did you ever get the suspension on?
Old 11-07-2017, 07:12 PM   #109
MalibuSSwagon

Hey Paul,

Yes I did. I got stalled on setting up the pinion angle properly, e brake cables and a few other small things. Then other projects happened. But I did find a 72 C10 5 lug rear on craigslist so I'm going to pick that up this weekend and that should kick this project back into gear! Pretty excited about that, it's even 3.73 like I wanted.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:57 AM   #110
bluex

Cool I used the same axle on mine. What trouble are you having with the ebrake cables? I swapped mine to 84+ style which you should already have...
Old 11-08-2017, 09:18 AM   #111
MalibuSSwagon

My problem was that I had to remove the e-brake bracket off the frame to clear the trailing arm. If you have pictures of your solution I would appreciate it.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:51 PM   #112
bluex

Well mine had a compleltely different setup than yours from the factory so I swapped to your style cables. I just moved the bracket up from where it was located on a factory install until it cleared the arms. That made the cables a little tight so the Dr side I left outside of the "guide" or the large hole and the pass side is not secured to the axle anywhere except right at the trailing arm to keep it away from the bag.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2018, 08:38 AM   #113
bluex

Just checking in to see if you got your suspension finised up...
Old 02-13-2018, 02:51 PM   #114
MalibuSSwagon

Gonna get on it soon. My garage has been filled to the brim this winter for toy storage. No room to work. I did end up picking up that 72 C10 12 bolt. It's clean just gotta go thru it and decide if I want disc brakes or not.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:26 AM   #115
MalibuSSwagon

Drove it around town yesterday, runs good. Still have to bring the front down a bit, have 1 ton coils and need to order new shocks. Wheels are Aero 59 15x9.5 surplus NASCAR wheels with 295/50/15's. Still not sure if i love them, mostly because you can't get good sticky street rubber in wide 15" sizes.

My initial impressions of the CPP trailing arm conversion are mixed. I was extremely frustrated by the vague install instructions, coupled with my lack of experience in that sort of custom work. Once sorted, however the truck is a joy to drive. Very smooth ride and handling seems good so far. Haven't had a chance to push it yet. The 1972 12 bolt, naturally needs a once over. Some howling gear noise so far. I seem to be getting noise from the TKo as well but this might be normal?

So far its great to have my little hot rod back. In the 20 miles I was ripping it around town yesterday, everyone's jaw dropped. And of course the usual questions at the gas pump. My friend helped me out by rebuilding the exhaust using OE stainless stuff from late model trucks, sounds far more rowdy than a stock 5.3L is.
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2019, 09:18 PM   #116
cable666guy

Lookin' good !! Glad to see you're still after it, gives me some motivation !!
cable666guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:44 AM   #117
bluex

While it is a chore to install the trailing arm setup rides an handles so much better than leaf springs. I was pretty peeved at mine by the time I got it installed but it was so worth it...
Old 04-03-2019, 09:59 AM   #118
MalibuSSwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluex View Post
While it is a chore to install the trailing arm setup rides an handles so much better than leaf springs. I was pretty peeved at mine by the time I got it installed but it was so worth it...
Same. Man I was mad at it. Hated it. Wishing I had stuck with leaf springs and bought some bolt on kit for that. It's a big relief to actually drive the truck and find it's worth it. The ride is great. Now I gotta do the front as the sloppy original springs are quite obvious now. Have 1ton coils to cut down and install, new shocks, new bushings and will likely do the caster mod as well. Gotta change out the oil pan as the early LS truck pan will be dangerously close to the road at that point.