The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2019, 02:09 AM   #1
LPoole

Need input on coilover kit

Howdy. I have a 68 swb fleetside that I want to put a full front and rear coilover kit on. Im looking at these cpp kits and just wanted some input. Pros, cons... opinions on price... and so forth. If you have either or both of these kits on your truck, do you recommend them? Do these kits have everything I need or will I need to make other purchases? I was also looking at the QA1 kits but they are priced quite a bit higher. Just looking for some good, solid info before I pull the trigger. Thank you very much.

http://www.classicperform.com/coilov...387FCO-K-B.htm
http://www.classicperform.com/coilov.../rear-kits.htm
Old 02-12-2019, 02:57 AM   #2
EdEver

Re: Need input on coilover kit

Just received the QA1 kit today looking forward to installing it. Looks real nice.
EdEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:14 AM   #3
Scurry67

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdEver View Post
Just received the QA1 kit today looking forward to installing it. Looks real nice.
I'm getting real close to pulling the trigger on the QA1 front/rear kits. What spring rates did you go with?

Al
Scurry67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:07 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Could someone enlighten me on the point of these coilover conversions? Not being critical of people modifying these trucks, as some seem to obsess over. I really want to know. I will admit my reason for asking, or having any trace of negativity is these trucks already ride on coils and have always had a reputation for their superior ride. If there is something to learn here, please teach me.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 02-12-2019 at 07:49 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #5
Stickman

I just ordered a CPP Front Coilover kit for use with factory control arms, part #6387-COK-2A-550. Unfortunately it's on BO for two more weeks! The reason I went with the kit was ride, handling and 5" height adjustability. The kit comes with Viking shocks and hardware. There's a good write up on the install of the kit with the CPP tubular control arms in the Oct 2018 edition of Classic Trucks.
Stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:55 PM   #6
sauxs

I have a 70 c10 I'm going to put front and rear coilovers on. I am considering Ridetech, No Limit or QA1. I am interested in knowing what the clearance is on the front crossmember and lower control arms.
sauxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:51 PM   #7
HalfCaseKustoms

I have been putting money aside for the QA1 kit myself. I have never installed one on these trucks bit I have installed plenty of different brand kits on g-bodies and qa1 gets my vote.
HalfCaseKustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:17 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
I just ordered a CPP Front Coilover kit for use with factory control arms, part #6387-COK-2A-550. Unfortunately it's on BO for two more weeks! The reason I went with the kit was ride, handling and 5" height adjustability. The kit comes with Viking shocks and hardware. There's a good write up on the install of the kit with the CPP tubular control arms in the Oct 2018 edition of Classic Trucks.
Ok, thanks. I figured it might be a handling thing. I'm stalled on my shortbed, haven't looked at products for that in years. Just keeping the 4wd going/improving. I've always found the factory ride to be very nice and with coils and shocks separate I can tailor the ride with a plethora of shock options. That much ride height adjustment is an awesome plus. My truck has the era hot truck vibe and I'd like to be able to load it up or tow for long trips. It has 4/6 static presently, which I like, but want the option off giving it a rake and getting the axle away from the frame with no c-notch with weight on it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:13 AM   #9
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Ok, thanks. I figured it might be a handling thing. I'm stalled on my shortbed, haven't looked at products for that in years. Just keeping the 4wd going/improving. I've always found the factory ride to be very nice and with coils and shocks separate I can tailor the ride with a plethora of shock options. That much ride height adjustment is an awesome plus. My truck has the era hot truck vibe and I'd like to be able to load it up or tow for long trips. It has 4/6 static presently, which I like, but want the option off giving it a rake and getting the axle away from the frame with no c-notch with weight on it.
Special K,I think the biggest reasons I went with the CPP kit was they were the only company that I could find offering a kit you could use with your stock control arms and also the use of the Viking shocks. Rob from No Limit said the Vikings were a top of the line product which he has used and supplies them on some of his kits. I want to keep my Highlander as stock as possible other than the Altitude, otherwise I would have gone with a Porterbuilt or No Limit crossmember with coilovers.
Stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:55 PM   #10
LPoole

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfCaseKustoms View Post
I have been putting money aside for the QA1 kit myself. I have never installed one on these trucks bit I have installed plenty of different brand kits on g-bodies and qa1 gets my vote.
I really like the looks of the QA1 front and rear kits. The videos I've seen of them being installed makes them look fairly easy to work with. It's just the price that has made me look hard at the CCP kit. Still kicking it around. It's only money, right?
Old 04-26-2019, 10:13 AM   #11
mikl911

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPoole View Post
I really like the looks of the QA1 front and rear kits. The videos I've seen of them being installed makes them look fairly easy to work with. It's just the price that has made me look hard at the CCP kit. Still kicking it around. It's only money, right?
Shop around the QA1 stuff is cheaper at Jegs and Summit racing then it is on the QA1 site by a lot!!
mikl911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:02 PM   #12
Longhornss

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Could someone enlighten me on the point of these coilover conversions? Not being critical of people modifying these trucks, as some seem to obsess over. I really want to know. I will admit my reason for asking, or having any trace of negativity is these trucks already ride on coils and have always had a reputation for their superior ride. If there is something to learn here, please teach me.
Special-K
You are correct in the superior ride quality of these trucks in stock form. However I personally like the look of these truck riding lower. For me I personally use my truck as Daily and will never carrier anything more than weekend travel essentials and a cooler. so for me converting to a coil over suspension is all about the look.

However I have driven several of these trucks both stock and with the QA1 Suspensions and let me tell you that relocating the coil spring to behind the axle and having the shock as far outboard as where QA1 mounts the shock. improves the ride and handling of the truck even more.
Longhornss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:16 PM   #13
Longhornss

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPoole View Post
I have installed CPP stuff before. Go with the QA1.
I am working on installing the third kit currently on a 67 C15, I have previously done a 64 full kit and a 65 rear kit using the stock trailing arms, this truck has CPP front stuff as that is what was available at the time. I personally liked the fit and finish of the QA1 better and I feel there support is also better.
The only down side to a QA1 kit is that they only work with SQUAREBODY spindles because QA1 builds the control arms to the larger ball joint spec as these use a "custom" QA1 low friction ball joint. So if you are not planning on changing the spindles. you will have to look else ware.
Longhornss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:36 PM   #14
p0508

There's a statement that usually stands true with a few exceptions. You get what you pay for.

Will the cpp stuff work. More then likely

Is it less engineered and lower quality. Yes.

CPP is the harbor freight of the parts world.

Which is absolutely ok and fine for some and not for others. It really comes down to how much you want to spend and what you're comfortable with.
p0508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:30 PM   #15
Mbeef61

What is everyone doing for the qa1 rears? With the trailing arms or without? There is a big price difference
Mbeef61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:11 AM   #16
SIXTY9

I bought the QA1 kit without the rear arms. I am very happy with the install so far. I will not be doing any auto crossing with it. Got mine at JEGS cheaper than others.
SIXTY9 is offline   Reply With Quote