The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2019, 04:55 AM   #1
JazzysC10

Unhappy Need help with truck

Hi guys. I love this forum. I have a 72 chevy c10 truck I had given my little girl ,she was 13 two weeks before she passed away. we got to do a few things on it together and she also changed the dash bulbs by herself. I raised her as a single widowed for about 10 years as my wife also passed away 10 years before my daughter. I can not part ways with my daughters truck and the truck is a little rough and I do have a welder and wouldnt be afraid to tackle the project. I have been putting it off due to being very depressed and having suicidal thoughts but i have managed to go this far because of my parents. sorry about getting so personal but really want to somehow fix this truck. I took off the seats and the rear section of the truck is rough in the same places they typically rust out.(pic attached) Rockers need changing too. I think the best way to do this truck is to change the whole floors but the only issue is i dont really have space to take off the cab to work on it, i unfortunately live in nyc where space is premium and its too crowded. What would a shop or maybe someone here charge to replace the floor pans. truck runs and drives and like i said this truck means the world to me. any help would be appreciated. thank you guys.
Attached Images

JazzysC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 03:18 PM   #2
69Tom

Re: Need help with truck

First off, very sorry for your losses.

Not that you necessarily want to do this, but I once rented a large storage space in NJ and worked out of it when I lived in NYC.

However, with that said, due to space limitations, I'd first start by tearing out all the carpet and whatnot out of there and then assess what sections actually need replacing. Again, due to space, I'd probably just replace one section at a time. Also, unless you caught a break on a shop that's willing to replace the entire floor for you, it'd be cheaper if you do it yourself once section at a time.

Maybe get everything pulled out of there and then post another pic of the floor and we can give you a better assessment.
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 03:53 PM   #3
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

Can you rent a storage unit that has electricity and work on it that way? And sorry for your losses. I cannot even begin to imagine how that must feel.
PROJECT JIGSAW 1967 GMC C3500
GREAT WHITE 1986 Blazer M1009
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:23 PM   #4
External

I just want to say you are needed here.
You are loved and are important.
Sorry for your loss. I know you can make the truck run again.
There will be a way.
My family has also been through a blow like this. But that is my point. We made it through.
Each one of us in our own way. I also now have a truck, not nearly as precious as yours.
But it helped me work my hands while I prayed my mind back into a better spot.
I am now praying for you. Jesus is real.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:44 PM   #5
Martyt

Would also add to never be afraid or ashamed to seek counseling— your life is way more important than anything material. I also agree with External’s comments!
Old 04-29-2019, 07:51 PM   #6
rechinca

Use this truck as your outlet! It’s very cathartic, you even get the chance to beat and bang out some frustrations! It is also a way to honor your daughter and her memory. It never has to become a high dollar show car. Just a great driver to ride around in and remember. Reach out for help and hang on the board for help and talk things through. My bet is you will find someone local to help you too. Let the truck brotherhood be your resource and outlet outside of family and friends, we are all here to help how we can.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:40 PM   #7
AussieinNC

You are among friends here...so just ask us anything....

Remove all the interior floor coverings and scrape as much material off the floor areas...then post pics of all areas of rust...

Check the areas in each front floor corner especially where the floor meets the side supports....

Then get under the truck (safely !!! use stands!!!) and take and post pics of the cab mounts....

Then we will have a better idea of the condition...and method of approach...

BTW....to replace the entire floor unit, the cab must be off the chassis. The cab also needs to be rigidly braced to keep it aligned...when the floor is removed the cab loses 80% of its rigidity !

I use a large jig I built and a rotisserie to turn the cabs I do,,,but I am not doing any more until after we move south to FL....

Condolences on your losses....that scenario is unimaginable to me...keep to the high road...the view is much nicer up there...

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:52 PM   #8
flashed

Im very sorry for the loss of your daughter and wife , my wife passed away 2.5 years ago ,we had no kids of our own . The loss is hard to deal with but they would want you to carry on . I agree with the other guys about stripping the carpet out and see just how bad it is .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:35 AM   #9
custom10nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by External View Post
I just want to say you are needed here.
You are loved and are important.
Sorry for your loss. I know you can make the truck run again.
There will be a way.
My family has also been through a blow like this. But that is my point. We made it through.
Each one of us in our own way. I also now have a truck, not nearly as precious as yours.
But it helped me work my hands while I prayed my mind back into a better spot.
I am now praying for you. Jesus is real.
I second everything External says. While your truck may need a bunch of work, I’ve seen a lot worse.
Build it as a tribute t your wife and daughter.
You’ve found the best forum, by far, for tips and guidance, when doing ANYTHING on our trucks. The odds are if there’s something you don’t know how to do, then someone on here has done it.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:41 PM   #10
Terrysch

JazzsC10,

I am also very sorry for your loss.

BUT YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am pretty new to the Forum. I have been able to work on my 72 Jimmy quite a bit because I recently retired.
Not going to repeat what other Forum members have written about getting some temporary space.

But I understand depression. Went through two very severe bouts, Blessed I was able to come out of them. But I had to retire. HANG IN THERE.

Really wanted to comment on the Forum. Even though I am a newby, I have used it a ton. So wanted to share my thoughts.

The Forum members are just great people. They WILL give you whatever help you need to get this done. No doubt about it. I have messaged, texted, emailed and called and talked to a number of Forum members.
Everyone is beyond helpful. They go out of their way to help you.
There is so much knowledge, so many experts. Everyone on this Forum wants you to succeed. It is their nature.

If you ever just want to talk about you project, or when you are depressed, please call me at 417 430-7078. FYI, I have a brother in law in your area. We vacationed an stayed with them last May.

Terry Schroeder
Terrysch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:09 AM   #11
TexasLS1

Hi Jazzy,

Welcome to the forum! I am sorry to hear of your losses, you have been dealt some hard ones that I cannot fathom. My advice is to remember that you are not alone, you have family that cares and loves you, and you’ll find a brotherhood on this forum that you won’t find in other places online. One of the best things you can do is talk about your struggles rather than suppress them, so I’m glad to see you open to doing that here. I think the more we open up, the more we find out that many others around us have similar struggles and can walk alongside us. That certainly helps me. I’ve raised my daughter as a single dad since she was 1 yr old, and now she’s 12. We did a lot of work together on my truck and really bonded through the work and cruising in it. I sold the truck a year ago to go back to school but have regretted the decision - hopefully I can get finished quickly and get more trucks later haha!

About your truck - I see it as a connection to your daughter, a piece of her is there and I’m sure it helps you feel closer to her when you’re close to it. I agree with Terry and the others - build it as a tribute and get as much help from us here as you can. You’re in a tough predicament in NY with limited space. I’d like to tackle the job myself if it were on my own truck, a little at a time, splitting it into small goals and tasks to work on a little at a time so I can measure some progress and feel I’m getting somewhere - albeit slowly and so long as I had space to do it. I’m following along to see if anyone local is able to help out or what some recommend for getting it knocked out. Keep us updated on progress. I’m looking forward to seeing it come along. These sentimental, deeply meaningful trucks are some of my favorite and some of the best on the forum.

Got any more pics of the truck to share?
TexasLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:26 AM   #12
cornerstone

Like the others, I'm sorry you are having to go through this. Some things we won't have answers for til The Lord calls us home too. I also believe this project could be a great way to keep you going. If there is anything we can do to help get this truck solid and on the road again, don't hesitate to ask.

I don't know how original your truck is at the moment or how important that specific cab is, but maybe the quickest and possibly the cheapest solution would be to replace the cab. If it needs any other repairs besides the floor, you may spend more money and time repairing than replacing. Just a thought.

I know they aren't as plentiful up there... but here again... that's where this forum of like minded decent people who are interested in helping a brother out come in. You may find a rust free cab in the southern or western states for $800. to $1200. and have it dropped off at your place. I see them fairly often in that price range that just need cab corners, sometimes they even come with doors for that money.

Brian

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:20 AM   #13
JazzysC10

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. Honestly, sometimes I just dont feel like even waking up to a new day. Depression has the best of me by the neck. I trie always to sink into the truck and work on it but sometimes i just lay my tools down and give up or end up crying my eyes out. I have tried therapy but hasnt helped me at all. I do feel so good sometimes when i do work on the truck sometimes and when I do get stuck its when i feel down. have been searching for a place but its either too expensive to rent out a spot or just far away. the truck is a 72 but has the wrong year front end as u can see from the pics. the wooden bed was hand made and looks like it was used on a farm up in Maine. I got to pick up the truck originally with my baby to flip it but she loved it so much she begged me to keep it and well I couldnt say no to her. She got to changed the dash board light bulbs to LEDs and we both worked on a few other things. I hope i can restore it one day, not looking for a show queen either. If i can fix the floor pans that would make everything else a lot easier. the quote one of you guys stated wouldnt be bad, 800-1000. will have to keep searching to see what can be done. thank you guys i really really appreciate the love.
Attached Images

JazzysC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:39 PM   #14
bill3rail

Good Looking Truck!
I cannot understand how tough your situation is, but considering what you have experienced, this repair is nothing! Space is the worst hurdle to overcome. If you can talk to some local body shops, maybe someone would be willing to pull the cab and you take the rolling frame home until the floor pans are done. Just make sure you find someone that knows what they are doing!

Good Luck!

Bill