The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2017, 03:13 PM   #10
hewittca

Re: Green Gus the 68 shortbed convert

It's been about three months since I've updated my build thread so I figured I'd add something just to keep up with what I've done, as mundane as progress has been lately. Part of the reason for my lack of any major updates has also been because I need to keep the truck functional right now. I was recently approached by someone (while I was out with the truck) and asked if I was willing to let them use my truck as a prop in a Christmas themed photo shoot in late November. It is for a local photographer who sets up themed photo sessions and then does photos for a number of families. I thought it was cool so I agreed but then I realized, oh man that means I can't tear the truck apart any more until after November!

Before the photo opportunity came along, I did try a few things that didn't turn out so successfully. First, I set out to rebuild the steering components. My wheel was really free and had no feel to it so I wanted to tighten it up some by putting in a variable ratio box from a '75 along with all new lines, tierods, pitman arm, idler arm, and coupler. Well, the Cardone 27-7512 box I got was complete junk and the steering felt horrible, so I pulled it out and put the stock box back in. The steering is still really free but at least I know the whole setup has been gone through and refreshed. At some point I'll revisit the steering box but not until after I get over the mistake of buying a cheap remanufactured box.

The other thing I did that was a fail was to swap out the front springs. I recently acquired a complete front cross member from GR8-68 (thanks Larry!) that had the stock springs still in it, or at least I thought they were stock. My truck had the stock coils in it with 1 coil cut out, but I have seen people go as far as two coils out. So I figured, I'll cut two coils out of these other springs and if I don't like it, I can just put my old ones back in. First off I noticed that these other springs had one less stock coil than my coils when stock (which I thought was odd) but I decided to cut 2 coils out anyway. It lowered the truck an additional 2" and sure looked cool but the steering was way off and the ball joints were maxed out in range, so I had to toss those springs in the trash and put my old springs back in. At the very least, I know what it will look like now with the drop spindles when/if I ever get around to putting some in.

I most likely won't have any updates on the truck until after the new year since I have to keep it together until after November and then we're into holiday season. Time to start collecting some parts I suppose...
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread

Last edited by hewittca; 10-17-2017 at 08:34 AM.
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote