The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 67-72

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 03:24 PM   #1
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Windshield Removal Tip

I decided to remove the windshield from the '70 today so I tried something that I've been thinking about since I removed the one from the '67. I cut the rubber on the one in the '67 and although it wasn't bad it was still a pain in the rear. I thought at that time "if a guy had enough hands to hold the rubber out from the flange around the top & sides, on the inside of the windshield, he could probably just push the windshield out". Well, that’s true. Here is how I did it.

I cut a piece of old garden hose 55" long and inserted it between the windshield rubber and the flange on the inside of the cab (at the top). I then cut two pieces of old 1/2" diameter electrical cord about 18" long and inserted them between the rubber and flange on each side of the windshield. When this was finished I put my hands about a quarter of the way in from each end at the top and pushed out. That windshield popped out so easy it scared me. I thought it was going to fall out on the floor....

You can pull the rubber down from the top with your fingers after you get it started but I used a brake adjuster tool to hold the rubber out on the sides to insert the electrical cord. I didn't use any lube of any kind but it would probably make things move easier. ( If it moved any easier it would have fallen out on the floor )
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
Old 09-14-2006, 03:29 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Windshield Removal Tip

Here is the windshield after it was loose. This whole process took me about 15 minutes, and no cut fingers.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 02-29-2024 at 11:49 AM.
Closed Thread