The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork > Detailing

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2005, 09:54 PM   #1
Kiss My SS

Overspray/ Clay bar info questions

Ok, so I backed the Monte out of the garage at my parents place and it was dusty as hell. I washed it and it still looked dusty. I looked close and realized the the "dust" was really a fine mist of overspray. I have no idea what I would have driven through that would have caused this. Nobody there has painted anything in months, and when they did the car was not out. I have heard that you can use a clay bar to remove the overspray. I have never used one and would like some more info on how to use them and what brand to use. Or is there a better way to remove this overspray? Thanks for any help you can provide.
1996 Ford Explorer XLT -Wife's rig
Kiss My SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 05:59 AM   #2
Mudder

Is this factory paint? If noone answers here I will call my body man and find out for ya.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:31 AM   #3
Bill72BB
Thats the Hillbilly way

I've used a clay bar to remove overspray from what looked like house paint off my wife's car and the paint that they use on the road strips off my truck . worked great just keep it wet .
I used Maguires , and the Quick detail spray .
Member Old Farts Club
72 3/4ton Custom Camper BB402/400 trans Dynomax Cerama-coat headers , Hei distributor ,Edelbrock 1411 air,ps,pb,leafsprings ,98 chevy 60/40 seat,S10 shoulder belts
tilt,3.54 Dana 60 rear. 16" Eagle wheels with LT265/75 16 tires,Gaylord Lid,H4 headlights with 100W relay conversion.

" If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself "
Marriage changes passion...suddenly you're in bed with a relative. A GUY'S PRAYER....

Lord, I pray for a nympho with huge boobs who owns a liquor store and likes to fish and hunt and has a Harley .Amen ,
Bill72BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 12:19 PM   #4
Kiss My SS

It is a DuPont BC/CC. The car is a 25footer as it is. It needs repainted due to incompetent bodymen. However, it looks good enough for me for now. I just dont want it to look dusty. I am going to try the clay bar, I am just not sure how to use it. I wish I could get a good digi-pic to show you what it looks like.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:32 PM   #5
Bill72BB
Thats the Hillbilly way

Read the box , but the trick is to keep it wet if you get the Maguires , it came in a kit with the Quick detail spray to keep it wet .

Make sure you wax it after .

UOTE=Kiss My SS]It is a DuPont BC/CC. The car is a 25footer as it is. It needs repainted due to incompetent bodymen. However, it looks good enough for me for now. I just dont want it to look dusty. I am going to try the clay bar, I am just not sure how to use it. I wish I could get a good digi-pic to show you what it looks like.[/QUOTE]
Member Old Farts Club
72 3/4ton Custom Camper BB402/400 trans Dynomax Cerama-coat headers , Hei distributor ,Edelbrock 1411 air,ps,pb,leafsprings ,98 chevy 60/40 seat,S10 shoulder belts
tilt,3.54 Dana 60 rear. 16" Eagle wheels with LT265/75 16 tires,Gaylord Lid,H4 headlights with 100W relay conversion.

" If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself "
Marriage changes passion...suddenly you're in bed with a relative. A GUY'S PRAYER....

Lord, I pray for a nympho with huge boobs who owns a liquor store and likes to fish and hunt and has a Harley .Amen ,
Bill72BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 06:39 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Two things to suggest. Park it in the shade, and don't drop the clay bar. Ok, your going to drop the clay bar, but make sure you clean it off before you start again.

It's very simple to use. Wet a small area and work it back and forth just like you were wet sanding. Wipe the area with a clean soft cloth, and check your work. If it is clean, move over a little and repeat.

Like Bill72BB said it will need a good washing when you are done followed by a coat of wax. The clay bar strips "everything" off including the wax....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:46 PM   #7
neonlarry

If you are doing that big a car I would suggest a random orbital machine w/a pad made to hold a clay bar (thats what I use on all my cars).
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:01 PM   #8
Kiss My SS

Where would I get one of those neonlarry? I am not looking forward to going over my whole car by hand. I am afraid I'll get carpal tunnel or some crap.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:04 AM   #9
70chevc10

and in case your wondering why everyone is saying to keep it wet. if it dries up, the clay bar with scuff the paint, and it kind of defeats the purpose of using it. i agree n2trux, keep it in the shade. work on small sections, and when your done dry the section off then move on.
70chevc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 07:54 AM   #10
neonlarry

Here is probably the most popular orbital, second link is velcro attached pad:
http://www.properautocare.com/74uldema.html
http://www.properautocare.com/popadclap.html
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 03:12 PM   #11
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

You don't need the orbital if you're just doing your personal vehicle. I clay'd my '03 Silverado Ext cab a few times and it takes about a half hour to do the whole truck. You can get the Mcguiars or the Mothers clay bar kit (comes w/ the clay bar and the detailer spray) for about 10-15 bucks at any auto parts store. It's really easy to use, just follow the directions on the box and like already said, make sure to keep the surfaces lubricated to avoid it binding up on a dry section of your paint and you'll be fine. You barely have to apply any pressure at all. The bar will actually pick up the debris in the paint. It gets embedded into the bar. Make sure you "knead" the bar occasionally. This will help it renew itself. I just check it periodically and if it starts looking contaminated with debris, wad it all up and knead it around then stretch out a fresh piece. Have fun and good luck. You'll be happy with the results. It makes a big difference.