The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork > Detailing

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2005, 07:25 PM   #1
crawdad

Using a random orbital polisher

I've got a bunch of questions on using one of these mochines. I've had one for years, but only used it once. It clogged the bonnet up so fast that I couldn't even use it. Went through 3 bonnets in about as many minutes. Just what is the correct way to use one? Are they used for putting the wax on and taking it off? Would appreciate it if some of you guys who use one could give me a little instruction . I've been doing it by hand so long, I'm starting to feel like the karate kid (you know...wax a on...wax a off )

2012 Silverado LT 1500, 5.3, 6 speed auto
'86 SWB C-10 Silverado
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 01:48 PM   #2
70chevc10

Re: Using a random orbital polisher

well what have you been doing in the past? tell us and if your doign somethign wrong we'll let you know
70chevc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 03:42 PM   #3
crawdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70chevc10
well what have you been doing in the past? tell us and if your doign somethign wrong we'll let you know
Well, I kinda did it like I do when I do it by hand. I put wax on the bonnet and then turn it on and apply it to the truck. I wait for it to dry and then I put on a clean bonnet and take it off. The thing is when I take the dried wax off, it wants to clog up the bonnet with wax residue (real quick). I was beginning to think you have to take it off by hand, and then use the polisher to just maybe polish it out even more. What's the procedure?

2012 Silverado LT 1500, 5.3, 6 speed auto
'86 SWB C-10 Silverado
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 03:19 AM   #4
70chevc10

its possible that your not using the right pad or that your using too much wax. whenever i use a buffer i put the wax on by hand, because if i use the buffer i usually make it spray all over where i dont want it. then i take it off with the buffer.

im not sure what all the different pads you can get are good for (some are good for applying, some are good for dark cars/light cars ect) but im sure someone on here will know.
70chevc10 is offline   Reply With Quote