The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 67-72

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 02:40 AM   #1
AirSpeed

Parking brake indicator mod, easy project. Pictures added

I have driven off with my parking brake partly engaged on a couple occasions and today I had a brain flash! I mounted a brake light switch that is normally closed on the parking brake bracket, I grounded one of the two lugs to the bracket and ran a wire from the other lug to the brake wire on the master cylinder. Now when the key is on and the parking brake is engaged the "brake" light in the dash lights up until I release the parking brake. It was a ten minute operation and works perfectly.

This is the switch with the brake off and the circuit open.

This is the switch with the brake engaged and the switch closed, activating the "Brake" light in the dash.

The Brake light on with parking brake on and key in run position. The light goes out when the key is off or in the acc position

I bent a thin piece of steel and drilled a hole for the switch and two mounting screws. You can see the ground wire conneted to the mounting screw.

Last edited by augie; 02-16-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
AirSpeed

Re: Parking brake indicator mod, easy project.

I added a couple pictures of how I mounted the switch, the wiring is is so easy that I didnt take a pic of it, I simply tapped into the wire that goes to the brake light wire on the master cylinder, connected it to one lug on the switch, the other lug connects to a ground and that's it. I bought the switch at NAPA a year ago for another project so I dont have the model number anymore, it is a brake light switch that is normally closed, meaning when the button is pushed the circuit opens and when its released it closes the circuit activating the light. Its opposite how a regular switch works.
Closed Thread