The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 67-72

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
davepl

Door panel chrome restoration

I asked a couple of times about replacing the chrome on my door panels, which had delaminated and fallen off. No one jumped in, so I just took a shot at it, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

The strip on the top is original; the strip on the bottom is my new chrome (it was just grey plastic before, but I didn't take a photo). Total cost, $7.95!

Old 03-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
davepl

Re: Door panel chrome restoration

I bought mylar foil tape from TheTapeDepot.com, I'll paste the actual part number below.

I went with 1/2 inch, and had to trim a little with a razor blade. You might be able to get away with 3/8, not sure. The one roll was $7.45 and is over 200 feet long, so I'm set for the next few panels :-)

I used a credit card to run along the edges both to stick it down and to wrap around the edges. I'm going to have to redo it again because I waxed the "woodgrain" beforehand and it's not sticking well, but I think it'll stick just fine if you clean the plastic well first.

1 Metalized Mylar (Length: 72 YARDS - 216 FEET - 66 METERS - Individual Roll
Size / Quantity: 1/2 inch - 12.7MM - 1 Individual Roll
Color: Silver)
Old 03-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
davepl

Re: Door panel chrome restoration

Chrome aside, I'm stoked that my 42-year old door panels came out like new with just some Simple Green for the panels and buffing the "woodgrain" insert with some plastic polish. I don't know what the repops are like for quality, but no beating original when you luck out!
Closed Thread