The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2018, 11:35 AM   #1
Knight72

Which to replace first?

Hey guys, I'm finally starting on my fist C10 rebuild after getting my rough draft plans together on where I'm headed on this build. I've got some pretty serious areas that need work and I'm trying to pick the best starting point. The cab for sure needs cab corners, kick panels, and rockers. Which panel should be replaced first? I was assuming the cab corners, kick panels then rockers, but I wanted to get some confirmation or corrections before I start. Any insight is helpful, thanks all.
Knight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 12:11 PM   #2
rjs53

Re: Which to replace first?

I'm in the middle of the same thing. I has to replace a section of the floor, a little piece of kick panel, inner and outer rockers, pillar, cab corners and cab support. If doors, rockers and cab line up well, then find a point to measure from. This will help when replacing as aftermarket parts for these trucks are not the best fit. Start with the rockers, more than likely the inner is bad too, if not score for you. If you have to replace inner rocker, support the cab or it will try to spread. I worked my way in and them back out leaving the can corner last to line rockers up. Remember when drilling spot welds out, don't get to carried away with the hammer and chisel, you don't want to bend everything behind what your removing.
rjs53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 02:32 PM   #3
Bigdav160

You're going to find these trucks are like onions that once you peel back the first layer there are more layers of rust underneath. Sadly I've seen pictures of trucks were they cut out the big rusty pieces and install the new rocker over, thereby hiding, the other rusted metal. In the front door hinge pillar area there are several pieces coming together.

The cab floor support under the floor panel with it's integrated inner rocker panel. The kick panel then extends down and over. On top of that is the pillar drain. Then the outer rocker panel. Plus that little piece that reinforces the lower fender bolt area.

After it's apart, clean and rusty metal cut away; you'll need to address the floor and support, the inner rocker, kick panel area, then the pillar hinge post area. Finally fit the outer rocker making sure the door and gaps fit properly. Don't forget to go back and seam seal plus rust proof all your welds.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:52 PM   #4
Knight72

Thanks fellas. I've got a long road ahead, but one step at a time. I had bought the truck with the intention of slapping a 350 in and beating around town in it, but I can't abide all the rough shod work and rusty metal. So it looks like I may be on the path of a total restore. I've got her stripped down to bare cab and need to clean paint out and assess how bad the rust is.
Knight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:59 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Do it all. Same tools, same area, same rust. Get it all out and clean, then put it all back. Do the rockers with the doors on!!
You may find it goes deeper when you get into it, so just approach it as you are eliminating the rust and replacing metal as your first stage of restoration.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote