The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2014, 04:50 PM   #1
6600DURAMAX

Best Quality Patch Panels

Will be buying a bunch of patch panels for the crew project, rockers, floor pan sections, etc.....

Is there a particular manufacturer or company that carries ones better thant the others?

Also what about some tip to prevent future rust out - is it just spraying with some liner the best option?

Thanks guys

1971 CREWMAX Build.....at body shop for couple more years
6600DURAMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:11 PM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: Best Quality Patch Panels

Almost all replacement parts come from the same factory with different names stuck on them . How many aftermarket factories would spend the time and money to produce parts for a limited market like 1967-72 Chevy trucks when they all can buy from 1 manufacture and place whatever name stickers they want on it .No one is buying directly from the manufacture we're all buying from some middle man company .I bought parts today from a tri plus dealer and the stickers said key parts he assured me they all come from the same manufacture .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:58 AM   #3
6600DURAMAX

Make perfetct sense that everyone out there isnt making these panels but I figured there would be some differences. I know I have heard some aftermarket hoods and aftermarket door skins are better than others???? Maybe that is just one persons opinion over another?

Old 10-24-2014, 09:36 AM   #4
da-burb
"Ochre Ogre"

Not quite right on the all parts come from the same place. There are 7-8 major stampers actually making the parts. Big items like doors I have heard are "shared" with one company making them and others relabeling them. I have seen tailgates from one supplier weigh 52# and the same gate from another supplier weighs 36#. Cab corners from one place 18ga and the others looked the same but they were 20ga. There are differences and you need to find a supplier you trust. The closer to your door the better since shipping is sometimes more expensive than the order. Tri-Plus is one of the best available and they do stamp many of the panels imported by Key Parts.

Bowtie Truck Stop Inc.
Mid-West GM Truck Restoration Parts Supplier
Your Key Parts, Auto Metal Direct, Dynacorn,
and Goodmark dealer.
like us @ www.facebook.com/BowtieTruckStop

1971 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1971 K-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 K-20 Suburban (Yellow- that just aint right!)

Springfield, Minnesota 56087
da-burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #5
reaper71

To shed some light on the panel question.. most of them i have used need some massaging they dont fit 100% perfect.
as far as keeping them from rusting I use the Eastwood rust encapsulator.you can brush it on or spray it using a 1.8 tip with lower psi. will keep all the moisture away.

Mark...
reaper71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:10 PM   #6
franken

There are no exterior panels that used 18 gauge metal from the factory, and certainly none of the aftermarket ones.

The aftermarket panels use some metric gauge close to the 21 or so gauge used by GM. You can look at 18, 21, Asian patch panel, and a cut out of factory metal. 18 gauge is almost twice as thick. You can measure to prove this for yourself as well as look up gauge vs. thickness of steel. Note that a sheared edge will seem thicker since it gets rolled a bit when sheared. You need to cut a scrap out and measure.

I've seen Triplus stickers on Goodmark and Dynacorn parts and agree that there are few places actually making the parts, but many distributors selling them, as well as quite a few middlemen.

It also seems that quality is sort of the luck of the draw. You may get a great part, while mine is junk...
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #7
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

To further add to the confusion, some of the parts are improved over time so a X brand part may not fit well in the initial run of parts but may be improved each run after that until they are much better. Clear as mud? Inner fenders are also made in at least 2 gauges. I've seen some that you could feel the difference in weight.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:35 AM   #8
FlameOut

When I bought my full floor pan, the box said Dynacorn but sticker on the pan was TriPlus. Not a great fit, but I made it work

2004 Chevy Silverado Z71 Ext Cab 1500
1972 Chevy K-10 SOLD
1967 Chevelle SS
FlameOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:55 PM   #9
6600DURAMAX

It looks like GMC Pauls is pretty close to me and they state all their panels are 19 gauge. Sounds like this might be the best bet

Old 10-27-2014, 04:12 PM   #10
kcsa75

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6600DURAMAX View Post
It looks like GMC Pauls is pretty close to me and they state all their panels are 19 gauge. Sounds like this might be the best bet
Among other things, I bought rockers and cab corners from GMC Paul's. Service and product is excellent.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote