The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
oldman3

Re: Jim's 1969 Custom/20

Nice job Jim, truck sounds good to me, enjoy.....Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
bollybib

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
Nice job Jim, truck sounds good to me, enjoy.....Jim
Thanks a lot, Jim. Seems things are in good running order now so I'm going to enjoy driving it for a while. It's a lumbering beast but a lot faster than I expected. Without the bed it was quick. Runs on regular OK. Sucks it up like it was, well, 1969 !

My Daily Driver is a 1969 Chevrolet Custom/20 Fleetside 350/TH400/Eaton H052 4.10
and its Project thread is here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456911
bollybib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
Stricklinator

Nice write up Jim! I replaced my exhaust a while back too. I bought a dual kit from LMC, but gave up when I couldn't get the manifold collector bolts to budge. Trucked it down to a muffler shop and had them do it for me. He broke almost all of those bolts on the manifolds and spent quite a bit of time re-bending the supposedly pre-bent pipes. I am not happy overall, he did a poor job lining everything up and put hangers in poor places, but it sounds good and sure beats the rusted out single pipe! Happy trucking; I love your Corvette too by the way!

Paul
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
treveiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stricklinator View Post
Nice write up Jim! I replaced my exhaust a while back too. I bought a dual kit from LMC, but gave up when I couldn't get the manifold collector bolts to budge. Trucked it down to a muffler shop and had them do it for me. He broke almost all of those bolts on the manifolds and spent quite a bit of time re-bending the supposedly pre-bent pipes. I am not happy overall, he did a poor job lining everything up and put hangers in poor places, but it sounds good and sure beats the rusted out single pipe! Happy trucking; I love your Corvette too by the way!

Paul
Posted via Mobile Device
can I ask what's a price range on getting custom pipes if you already have the mufflers?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-02-2011, 01:10 AM   #5
Stricklinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by treveiger View Post
can I ask what's a price range on getting custom pipes if you already have the mufflers?
Posted via Mobile Device
I paid $300 for the muffler shop to fit my "pre-bent" kit and weld all the joints. I thought it was pricey, but I don't have much experience with muffler shops so I am not sure.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
bollybib

Thanks Paul. $300 at say $50/hr is only 6 hours of work; I spent probably 10 times that amount of time over a period of 3 1/2 months to install mine. It's not reasonable to expect a shop to do work the way I do. Basically, exhaust systems are a RPITA.

Hi treveiger. I never took my truck to a shop so I can't say what a typical cost to install might be. Labor cost is usually close to the cost of parts so that's one way to guesstimate it. Taking it to several shops and getting estimates and checking out their shops and their work is a better way. Asking this question in the main board and searching archives is another. I recall seeing this discussion in old threads so the info is buried in here somewhere.

My Daily Driver is a 1969 Chevrolet Custom/20 Fleetside 350/TH400/Eaton H052 4.10
and its Project thread is here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456911
bollybib is offline   Reply With Quote