The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
texassquarebodies
Truck Nut

Suburban drop help.

Need some help in figuring what i need to make my burb sit right. I drop the back 6" with a flip kit and 5/8 ton truck springs (7 or 8) s to try to get the rear not to sit so low. It had the common saggy rear springs on it when I bought it. The front has 2.5 dropped spindles and 2" dropped springs. The front end is still higher than the rear....by a few inches. I only have maybe 2" in the front before I hit the bump stops. Do I just bag the front to get it lower?? I am not taking the flip kit of of the rear. Also my rear end looks crooked.....on my suburban. The holes are to the front. I just ready to drive the dam thing!!
Old 03-14-2010, 05:25 AM   #2
SBTork
Garage wrench

Re: Suburban drop help.

anyone?

90 V1500 GMC Suburban 350/700R4/NP241.....
01 Saturn SL1 stock DD.....
SBTork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
cochino12
It followed me home?

This is the same problem I'm having with my blazer. Lolife told me I could use a set of rear hangers from a 4x4 and it would give it another 1" or so of lift, sporttruckdirect.com also sells a shackle that will give you another 1/2" of lift. Of course you could also add a taller tire to the rear

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
dropd80s

If you haven't cut the bump stops off the front you'll probably need to do that and cut the coils down to level it out.
dropd80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by texassquarebodies View Post
Need some help in figuring what i need to make my burb sit right. I drop the back 6" with a flip kit and 5/8 ton truck springs (7 or 8) s to try to get the rear not to sit so low. It had the common saggy rear springs on it when I bought it. The front has 2.5 dropped spindles and 2" dropped springs. The front end is still higher than the rear....by a few inches. I only have maybe 2" in the front before I hit the bump stops. Do I just bag the front to get it lower?? I am not taking the flip kit of of the rear. Also my rear end looks crooked.....on my suburban. The holes are to the front. I just ready to drive the dam thing!!

Cochino is correct.
If you want to raise the rear a little, you can install 4x4 frame hangers (for the rear leaf spring shackle).
The down side is the fact that the gas tank has to be removed, rivets ground off/removed, and the new 4x4 hanger bolted on prior to re-installing the gas tank.

If the rearend looks crooked,... make sure you have the leaf springs installed correctly. The center pin is offset in the leaf spring. Sounds like you have one in backwards.
This is easy to do. I had both in backwards one time,... and didn't realize it until I tried to install the driveshaft. It wouldn't go in.
(The rearend was too far forward)
I had to take everything apart and turn the leaf springs around.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 03-17-2010 at 07:30 PM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
87 dually burb
my short bus

this was mine with a flip minus overload springs
the front is bagged w/3" spindles sitting on the inner fenders

just do a axle over bags in rear
87 dually burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:49 PM   #7
texassquarebodies
Truck Nut

Just seems like my drive shaft is to long now. The 90'-91 have a shorter 2nd drive shaft. When I flipped it, i left the drive shaft bolted in. Have not had it back on the loft since lowering it. I think the driveshaft being too long is making my wheels not centerted in the wheel well. The holes on the flip brackets are facing toward the front.

Also has djm drop springs in front. They acted like the top of the spring did not want to settle in the upper notch correctly. I cut 2 coils coils of my stock springs. Going to try them. I do not have any 4x4 rear frame hangers. Maybe some 3/4 stuff would work. I might just put bags on the front.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:57 AM   #8
knightowl73
TUKE-NoBullChit Customs owner

well you will most likelt have to cut them front bumpstop mounts off, so might as well do it. if you are gonna bag it later then it will already be done. 2 coils off the factory might sit right, but cut them from the top i am told and the spring will stay harder. As far as your driveshaft issies, seems the brackets on the flip are on correctly if the hole is to the front, but how much longer is your driveshaft now? if its not more than 1" then d say either get one from a junkyard the right length, or just cut it down. i can tell u how to do this, and if you arent taking off much it wont throw the balance off enough to count. youll need a chopsaw and of course a welder, but its less than a hour to do verses drivng to the local yard,findng, and pulling.
knightowl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:36 AM   #9
dropd80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
If the rearend looks crooked,... make sure you have the leaf springs installed correctly. The center pin is offset in the leaf spring. Sounds like you have one in backwards.
This is easy to do. I had both in backwards one time,... and didn't realize it until I tried to install the driveshaft. It wouldn't go in.
(The rearend was too far forward)
I had to take everything apart and turn the leaf springs around.
I have never done this my self, but this sounds like the most likely culprit to me. I would definatly check and make sure before you cut your drive shaft down.
dropd80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:49 AM   #10
texassquarebodies
Truck Nut

Going to try a shorter drive shaft from another suburban I have. I have like 5 more burbs. I have always been told to cut springs from the bottom. I already cut them...2 coils off the stock ones. Have not installed them yet. Going to cut the bump stops off the front and install some shorter ones. I just want to drive the dam thing. Its getting nice weather around here and I need something to cruise.

Seems like that my djm drop springs did not fit right in the top if the spring pocket. Anyone else have this problem?? I will cut those too if need be.

Also....I need to c notch the rear. I do not have a welder. I thought about taking another burb frame section from the same area as my c notch will be and bolting it in? Does anyone make a burb c notch???

Last thing...was it a good idea to put a thicker spring pack in the rear? I was trying to keep the rear up....my last springs were saggy.
Attached Images

Last edited by texassquarebodies; 03-18-2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: spelling
texassquarebodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:14 PM   #11
justpball

no one makes a notch for them, i bought a universal one, but your idea sounds like it would work since you have so many dang parts laying around...LOL

87 Crew SWB
Build for the crew
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430082

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3232925
90 burb 2wd

Build Thread For The Burb!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=383055
justpball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:01 AM   #12
nlped

What about using '92-'95 4x4 Tahoe leaf springs in the rear? It seems to be the ticket on the Blazers for a 4-5" drop with a flip in the rear? Just curious.

1968 Chevy SWB Fleet... Walt

1963-1/2 Ford Falcon Futura...Martha
nlped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:27 PM   #13
texassquarebodies
Truck Nut

Decided just to leave it like it is in the rear. Going to make my own notch and cut my drop springs abit.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:29 PM   #14
scooterskoolkustoms

OK I need some help.Just bought 2.5" drop spindles ( thanx nlped ).want the rear to be the same on my 87 burb so do I use just a flip kit or do I go shackles?I don't know if I should go with 3" springs cut to stock springs or go bagged.Dont care to lay frame just want it low and be able to ride good.All you Burb guys tell me the best way to go so I only do this once.Thanx Scooter

Last edited by scooterskoolkustoms; 04-17-2010 at 12:33 PM.
scooterskoolkustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:03 AM   #15
subdude

aim makes or did make a c notch got a set setting here for 9 years had them on an 84 sub never hit the road with it
subdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:02 PM   #16
justpball

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterskoolkustoms View Post
OK I need some help.Just bought 2.5" drop spindles ( thanx nlped ).want the rear to be the same on my 87 burb so do I use just a flip kit or do I go shackles?I don't know if I should go with 3" springs cut to stock springs or go bagged.Dont care to lay frame just want it low and be able to ride good.All you Burb guys tell me the best way to go so I only do this once.Thanx Scooter
depends on what you want to do, do you want to bag it? I love mine being bagged, but its not for everyone... flip kit is really low in the back so you would need to cut coils up front to make it look right...

87 Crew SWB
Build for the crew

90 burb 2wd

Old 04-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #17
scooterskoolkustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpball View Post
depends on what you want to do, do you want to bag it? I love mine being bagged, but its not for everyone... flip kit is really low in the back so you would need to cut coils up front to make it look right...
Your looks nice what did you do to yours?
Old 04-19-2010, 08:59 PM   #18
justpball

Bagged

87 Crew SWB
Build for the crew

90 burb 2wd