The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2009, 11:52 PM   #1
mikajo39
Gearhead and audio junkie

Talking Funky problem solved by royal purple

I've been having what I thought was timing issues with my new engine, couldn't get it advanced enough or it'd ping and I'd have to retard it to where it would have full throttle hesitations for it to run on the freeway without detonation. It was frustrating to say the least. I hit the 500 mile mark, and I was supposed to change my oil. So I change the oil and its kinda dark but nothing bad (when I was puttin the engine in i was running low on funds so i bought some cheap conventional oil). I run to kragens get a new filter and decided to bite the bullet and use royal purple.
After the oil change I fire her up and I'm totally dumbfounded. No WOT hesitation, runs smoother, and doesn't even ping! I have never had a oil change fix so much stuff for me. I celebrated by leaving some nice tire marks down the street
Looks like I'm using RP from here on out. Anybody else ever use RP?
mikajo39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
bigguy69
dazed and confused

Re: Funky problem solved by royal purple

wow! i have that about using royal purple myself, i think i will give it a shot now.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
andrewmp6

And you can try rislone oil treatment it helps a older engine room smoother i have used it a few times.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
mikajo39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy69 View Post
wow! i have that about using royal purple myself, i think i will give it a shot now.
yeah I've always been a cheapy, even with my new engine! Roller cam, nice heads.... and then I ran out money and use cheap conventional. used royal purple and worked real nice
Old 11-22-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
BADPURPLE70CHEVY
406 Powered

I run a district of oil change shops and can tell you royal purple makes quality products. Its just like anything else you get what you pay for.
72 4x4
BADPURPLE70CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:40 PM   #6
mikajo39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADPURPLE70CHEVY View Post
I run a district of oil change shops and can tell you royal purple makes quality products. Its just like anything else you get what you pay for.
Yep I've learned that over time. I would never cheap out on oil, but I was close to flat broke at the time haha. Glad I could give my engine the oil it deserves.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:45 PM   #7
BigChevy80

I always use cheap oil when breaking an engine in. It's kind of a waste to use top quality oil that you're just going to drain out 500 miles later. Not a good idea to use synthetic oil during the initial break in anyway.

Money is no object... once it's in your wife's hands.

1972 GMC Sierra
1977 Ford LTD II
2000 Pontiac Grand Prix (wife's ride)
BigChevy80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
mvfd70

I was taking my wifes car to the shop to get an oil change until the warrenty ran out. I thought it would be better for someone else to have a record of the service in case we needed to take it in for some warrenty work. Well I changed the oil the last time it was done and switched to Royal Purple (with a K&N filter) and I could tell immediately that the car was running smoother. Took it out for a drive and it accelerated better too. I was surprised that I could tell that much of a difference on a practically new engine.

On a side note, RP has an engine break in oil that they say is specifically for flat-tappet cams.

Last edited by mvfd70; 11-22-2009 at 02:22 PM.
mvfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:41 PM   #9
capev86

i put high mileage mobil 10w-30 in the 307 in my 72 burb, royal purple manual trans fluid in the 3OT, and play to put RP 75w-90 in the eaton rear end when i swap the 4.57 out for the 4.10 third member i got awhile back. i have bottles of valvoline synthetic dot 4 brake fluid and will be going to RP engine oil when i swap in my 406sbc. i run cheap walmart supertech synthetic in my cars (unless its a performance engine), but the truck will be used for towing and won't see as many miles. when you do an oil change yourself, you can put the money into quality products, not the stinkin' labor....and then you KNOW it was done right!
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:05 PM   #10
BADPURPLE70CHEVY
406 Powered

Let me tell you why synthetic oil is good. Syn oil is made up of all the same size molecules while conventional oil is made up of different size molecules. Imagine if you have two jars one full of b.b's and one full of different size gravel. Then you turn both jars upside down. The b.b's will come out quicker just like the reason it gets to engine parts quicker. Syn oil is asl refined more and has less base stock in it. I could give you more info but theres no need. Syn oil is great oil....
72 4x4
BADPURPLE70CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #11
mikajo39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChevy80 View Post
I always use cheap oil when breaking an engine in. It's kind of a waste to use top quality oil that you're just going to drain out 500 miles later. Not a good idea to use synthetic oil during the initial break in anyway.
That was also part of the reason why I cheaped out, but now that its all broken in, it's only getting the good stuff!
Old 11-22-2009, 07:22 PM   #12
k5hart

Ok, so maybe I'm dumb but how can oil stop spark knock? Isn't spark knock more of a product of compression, timing, and fuel. What's the technical reasoning behind this? Glad it worked.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:27 PM   #13
AusTx68

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5hart View Post
Ok, so maybe I'm dumb but how can oil stop spark knock? Isn't spark knock more of a product of compression, timing, and fuel. What's the technical reasoning behind this? Glad it worked.
What he said...I was thinking you moved something during the oil change that corrected the problem.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:38 PM   #14
chevydog66
GM ONLY BABY!!!

Royal Purple is also worth a few hp on the dyno. It's all I run in my 406 sb that's in my 66 Chevelle. 573hp on the dyno, on pump gas.

66 Chevelle Malibu 406ci, 573hp, 10.99@121mph
96 Chevy Silverado Z71
72 GMC 1500 Super Custom LS 6.0/4L65 on airride

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/707879...mc-c-k-pick-up
chevydog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:50 PM   #15
hayhauler71

I switched over to the Valvoline VV855 not for street use has 2100 ppm zinc and is synthetic. The only thing i don't like is the price 12 qts. and a k&n filter $120.00.
hayhauler71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:06 PM   #16
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5hart View Post
I was wondering that myself. About the only thing I could come up with was the possibility there was some coke deposits that was causing premature combustion. Surprised it worked so fast.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:12 PM   #17
GruntyPants

Re: Funky problem probably not solved by royal purple

I'm assuming that you changed the filter too? Was the engine running hot? Was the oil pressure good/normal while you were having detonation?

Unless the engine was overheating, or you had a plugged filter, that made the engine sound like detonation (low pressure, lifter noise), I just can't see how changing the oil 'fixed' this problem. Either the original problem was misdiagnosed, or something got moved or fixed during the oil change.

I just hate to see another 'oil quality' thread get started for no good reason..

Shawn
'70 Short Wide
GruntyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:46 PM   #18
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikajo39 View Post
I've been having what I thought was timing issues with my new engine, couldn't get it advanced enough or it'd ping and I'd have to retard it to where it would have full throttle hesitations for it to run on the freeway without detonation. It was frustrating to say the least. I hit the 500 mile mark, and I was supposed to change my oil. So I change the oil and its kinda dark but nothing bad (when I was puttin the engine in i was running low on funds so i bought some cheap conventional oil). I run to kragens get a new filter and decided to bite the bullet and use royal purple.
After the oil change I fire her up and I'm totally dumbfounded. No WOT hesitation, runs smoother, and doesn't even ping! I have never had a oil change fix so much stuff for me. I celebrated by leaving some nice tire marks down the street
Looks like I'm using RP from here on out. Anybody else ever use RP?
This can happen if you use high Zinc content oils on new motors and old motors with blow by or new cross hashing in the cylinders. Zinc get into the chamber and causes the detonation as it ignites the fuel mixture. Synthetic oils use other anti-oxidents than high zinc count so thats why you solved the issue by changing the oil. I would change your plugs now as well.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:20 PM   #19
Tkmadone

I found this article interesting.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html
Tkmadone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:35 PM   #20
k5hart

I think your information is very interesting dwcsr. Something I did not know about zinc additive. But....he was using cheap oil which from everything I've read doesn't have much zinc anymore.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:37 PM   #21
mikajo39

I don't really understand why it stopped pinging all I know is it did.... I'm not making any claims guys just what happened!