The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2020, 01:29 PM   #1
harrij4

Anyone storing their top on its side?

I'm looking to regain some garage space by making a storage rack that will use the mounting bolt holes to hold the top sideways. This should keep the distance between the two side-rails fixed (i.e. keep it from folding like a taco), but I'm curious if I need to work about the roof portion skewing relative to the bottom rails. Is anyone else storing their top on its side? Any distortion or flex issues?
harrij4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:53 AM   #2
notsolo

Re: Anyone storing their top on its side?

Anything other than on the truck will likely have flex issues. I stored mine on a flat cart and it now has a bow in the side rail.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:10 PM   #3
truckster

I store mine bolted on a base (just the 4 corners) that matches the dimensions of the bed.

I would worry that storing it on its side would lead to distortion and/or cracking. The top is pretty heavy, and you'd be putting a lot of weight on one side, loading it in a direction it wasn't designed for.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:44 AM   #4
harrij4

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I store mine bolted on a base (just the 4 corners) that matches the dimensions of the bed.

I would worry that storing it on its side would lead to distortion and/or cracking. The top is pretty heavy, and you'd be putting a lot of weight on one side, loading it in a direction it wasn't designed for.
My hope was that by using spanning members I could spread the load out between the two sides. Then, use the header-rail mounting points and maybe a couple other supports to support the roof section. These things just take up so much space.

Are the single walls prone to cracking and sagging? I've read that the double-walls are, buty single appears to be pretty sturdy.
harrij4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:26 PM   #5
truckster

The single wall tops are pretty sturdy, but they weren't designed to be on their side. They're hard enough to find that I wouldn't take the chance with mine.