The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2020, 10:03 AM   #1
Chris(NJ)

Speedhuts

Looks like Speedhut has a little sale going on now. Shipping shows about a month out. But the discount has me thinking about finally dumping the dolphin gauges that came w/ the truck for something a little nicer.

My question to you guys is, what are your thoughts on the GPS vs Electronic speedo? I kinda thought the GPS is interesting. Downside is the little sensor that needs to be mounted. Anyone have experience w/ it? And if so, does it drop signal in areas aside from going through tunnels or whatever?
And do you think an additional gauge or two is helpful or don't bother? Was thinking about a vacuum gauge mounted down low so the dash doesn't look overloaded w/ additional holes and gauges. What would you add, if any, for a standard 350 sbc?
Chris(NJ) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:40 AM   #2
mick53

Re: Speedhuts

I have Dakota Digital HDX gauges with GPS speedo. It updates 10 times per second and has memory for when signal is lost and self calibrates. It also runs cruise control. The HDX gauges record 1/8 and 1/4 mile times and 0-60 times. also top speed and final speed. They have 16 different gauges you can add modules for without adding more gauges. I have a Frankland quick change rear end with 128 gear ratios available and Tremec TKO 600 trans so That's one of the reasons I chose it. IT has an internal antenna but I'm guessing external is better. It is compatible with other gauges.
https://www.dakotadigital.com/index....rod/prd837.htm

Last edited by mick53; 04-26-2020 at 11:05 AM.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 03:47 PM   #3
Chris(NJ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
I have Dakota Digital HDX gauges with GPS speedo. It updates 10 times per second and has memory for when signal is lost and self calibrates. It also runs cruise control. The HDX gauges record 1/8 and 1/4 mile times and 0-60 times. also top speed and final speed. They have 16 different gauges you can add modules for without adding more gauges. I have a Frankland quick change rear end with 128 gear ratios available and Tremec TKO 600 trans so That's one of the reasons I chose it. IT has an internal antenna but I'm guessing external is better. It is compatible with other gauges.
https://www.dakotadigital.com/index....rod/prd837.htm
They're super nice. I like the replica of the oem gauges. But phew..pricey! I thought the Speedhuts were up there, but this has them beat I think lol.
Chris(NJ) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:41 PM   #4
oldman3

My son Mark and I have installed several sets in cars and trucks we've worked on. I have Speedhut gauges in my 50. I wanted the GPS, because it would be more accurate. If I ever changed size of tires, or gear ratio it would be fine. I've never had any problem with them losing the signal, but I also live in a rural area...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:36 PM   #5
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
They're super nice. I like the replica of the oem gauges. But phew..pricey! I thought the Speedhuts were up there, but this has them beat I think lol.
They are pricey for sure. With all my modules and fan controllers I have close to $3k in mine. One nice thing for me is the duel fan controllers. I have 2 radiators, both with electric fans. The primary one in front with mechanical pump and a drag radiator under the truck with electric water pump on it. The primary one has temp and speed cutoff and the drag radiator will kick on after the truck is shut off (or manually) with temp control to handle the heat sink. I also have compass, outside temp, boost and some other gauge modules. Thank you for your time.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 01:43 PM   #6
mr48chev

The technology for the gps receivers has improved a lot in the past few years beyond the early dash mounted versions. I use my old dash mount one that the kids called Broomhilda because of the bossy instructions the voice gave as the speedometer in my 77 dualie because there are issues with the speedometer and while you do loose the signal once in a while it isn't that big of a deal unless you are actually using it for directions to get somewhere. Speedo and odometer functions work pretty well and the only person I know who ever looked at the speedo every thee seconds was my dad.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:07 PM   #7
Black_Sheep

I have a Speedhut GPS speedo in the '58, it usually acquires enough satellites to function by the time I get to the end of block. They have an auxiliary circuit that can be wired to continuous power so it doesn't lose "connection" with the satellites while the ignition is off, just like a car stereo to maintain preset stations.
Attached Images

Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:13 AM   #8
mr48chev

That is the one issue with GPS in that it does take a bit to acquire satellites no matter what system you have be it the ones like Black Sheeps, a hand held walk in the woods unit, the one on my boat or the little stick it on the dash one. They all have to find the satellites. As he said it is pretty quick and if you are one of the let the truck warm up before I pull out of the driveway guys it won't be an issue anyhow.

I really like the look of Black Sheep's gauges as they look like an older Steward Warner design from back in the 50's or 60's rather than new and ultra modern. Some folks that aren't familiar with these trucks might even argue that they are original along with the engine turned panel. Great choice.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 07:53 PM   #9
Black_Sheep

Thanks mr48chev. a lot of thought went into keeping it retro looking.

The Speedhut gauges do have some nice features. I really like how they are backlit and the illuminated pointer. I also went with the integral high beam and turn signal indicators. For the custom face to match the SW Greenline gauges I already had, Speedhut only charged $30 which seems pretty reasonable to me. I also like the idea of having something unique, not using the same set up as everybody else...
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote