The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2016, 04:31 AM   #1
69CHEVYAustin

69 Chevy interior light problem

Hello forum. I have been reading many posts, but I have not seen the answer or help to my particular problem. If there is a thread I will gladly just take the URL to it.

Problem: I just replaced the light switch because the interior lights were acting funny. However, the problem still is not fixed. I'm almost sure I have a ground problem but I do not know where to search. There are times when the gauge/radio illumination lights work when things are "in the right spot". I took a multimeter to the switch to check for current. I would assume that the "dark Green" wire would show variable voltage when it is turned to different positions, however it only sometimes reads any voltage at all and I know all power in is good (from multimeter). I can easily see how the switch could/would be bad, but I had the exact same problem with the old switch, so I am thinking the problem may be a ground somewhere else in the connection.

I will be happy to answer any questions and provide any information. I look forward to the advice I will receive.

Name:  switch.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  56.4 KB

p.s. I will do an introduction thread tomorrow, I just wanted to post this ASAP some I can get some eyes on. Thanks
69CHEVYAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:20 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: 69 Chevy interior light problem

The switch itself must be well grounded to the dash.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 01:08 PM   #3
69CHEVYAustin

I will check that today. Is there anyway to add am extra ground? I get these readings when it is installed.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:58 PM   #4
69CHEVYAustin

After using a wire to check and make sure I had a ground from the switch to the cab, I am still getting the same result. I have a new switch on order because I can read all the power going in and out except at that one terminal.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:15 PM   #5
Wrenchbender Ret

OK. When you said interior lights I thought of dome lights. If the problem is dash lights it is possible the inst. panel ground is not good.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:45 PM   #6
69CHEVYAustin

Problem has been resolved. When I put the multimeter on the switch and was getting power in and not out I figured it had to be the switch, but I wasn't trying to jump the gun since it was the second one I had purchased. Turns out it was faulty. New switch in and we are as good as new. Thanks for the input guys. I'm waiting on a day where I can get the truck cleaned and take pictures for my post. I will for sure be on her often.