The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2016, 01:12 PM   #51
BrianG

Re: Half a dozen failed windshield install attempts...

Sorry to hear you are having so many issues Dave. While reading this, I realized that I might have forgot to update the other thread with how my windshield install went. I know you probably don't want to hear this, but it went really good. I had an experienced installer do mine, while I helped. As you might remember, I used glass from Summit (bought the same one that you are using). I also used a Precision gasket. I did have to use the OE trim that I had though. The brand new aftermarket stuff would not lay flat on the windshield no matter what I tried. I had the gasket and trim on when he got there, so luckily I was able to get my old OEM stuff and polish it up really well. I think it actually looks better than the aftermarket. As far as the window goes, we had no issues at all. It was thinner than original, but it fit fine. I do have one suggestion if you have not already tried to do so. That would be to get a second window seal. Maybe your first one is just bad or something. For the price of a a new seal, it would be worth a try and might save them some time. Good luck and keep us posted.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:21 PM   #52
midniteblues

I remember the whole problem was looking through the tint.

Did you ever mod your seat too get it lower?
Just curious if ya did and what you did too it?
Cause I have the same problem in the kids truck with the bench.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:37 PM   #53
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteblues View Post
I remember the whole problem was looking through the tint.

Did you ever mod your seat too get it lower?
Just curious if ya did and what you did too it?
Cause I have the same problem in the kids truck with the bench.
There just wasn't going to be enough room. I still look almost dead straight through the top of the tint area and I could never get that much room out of the seats, so the windshield was my only real choice.

If I could have dropped the seat 4" that would have done it, but I don't know if that would have even been a good idea!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:44 PM   #54
utee05

I am looking to get my windshield replaced on my 72. I've called a couple of places and they keep on saying that I should only use the gasket as there isn't a good seal with the trim. This doesn't quite make any sense since I've seen the windshield sold with the gasket and trim.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:53 PM   #55
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 View Post
I am looking to get my windshield replaced on my 72. I've called a couple of places and they keep on saying that I should only use the gasket as there isn't a good seal with the trim. This doesn't quite make any sense since I've seen the windshield sold with the gasket and trim.
By trim do you mean the stainless? The stainless is harder to install and takes more skill, but that's the only reason (to make it easier for them) that I can envision for leaving it out. I can't imagine it effects the sealing in any way...
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:10 PM   #56
utee05

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
By trim do you mean the stainless? The stainless is harder to install and takes more skill, but that's the only reason (to make it easier for them) that I can envision for leaving it out. I can't imagine it effects the sealing in any way...
Yup that's what I'm talking about. The stainless trim. I figured it would be more work and not really because it would damange the sealing.

May have to look into doing it myself to make sure it gets done correctly unless there is a rec for an installer in the Austin area.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:03 PM   #57
BigMike56-72

I recently added the stainless trim to my front windshield and boy was it a real pain in the a** to get the window back on. It took my buddy 3 hours and he does this for a living. I was told as well since I had the wrong gasket the first time. 67-70 use a different gasket/stainless molding than 71-72. After going to the Truck Shop in OC they sold me the correct gasket for my stainless and everything fit nice and tight. No fighting with trying to get the stainless to stay on the gasket and window. Anyways I'm glad I wont be doing this anytime soon again.
Attached Images

BigMike56-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:19 PM   #58
crakarjax

Since the cabs are the same, if you have a matching gasket/stainless for 67-70 or 71-72 then all should be well right? Any idea what the difference in sets is and which is better/easier to install?

Edit: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649472

I guess the 67-70 is easier to install and yet either will work as long as the gasket/trim are for the same years.

Last edited by crakarjax; 09-09-2016 at 07:25 PM.
crakarjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:35 AM   #59
Grumpy old man

The way to save yourself a TON of install issues is to install the gasket and trim onto your new glass and use 2" masking tape to hold everything in place and let it all sit for a week or 2 to let it settle and live together . Sounds funny but it works a day or two in the sun works also .taking the gasket out of the bag and stretching it onto the glass and installing the trim forces the gasket to become "alive" while it searches for its happy place ... try it .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:21 PM   #60
scrappydoo2k2

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 View Post
Yup that's what I'm talking about. The stainless trim. I figured it would be more work and not really because it would damange the sealing.

May have to look into doing it myself to make sure it gets done correctly unless there is a rec for an installer in the Austin area.
Hey utee, Let me know what you find out about windshield installers for our trucks in the Austin area. I need to get that done as well. BTW, nice truck!
scrappydoo2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:49 PM   #61
1969c10joe

I had to drive a vehicle without a windshield about 30 years ago.The local pd told me it was ok if i wore eye protection so i strapped on some safety goggles and drove it. the law could have changed since then.I didkeep the speed down afraid i might blow out rear window
1969c10joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:17 PM   #62
plastercracker

i feel for ya. just did mine only i got rid of the trim. it was still a couple hours with a lot of dawn dish washing soap. the back window was done in 30 seconds. got my gasket from classic parts with out trim. the worst part where the top corners. there is a vid on utube they did one like ours with trim and they started at the top and fought the bottom. its that double lock that makes it a pain but once done it will never leak. good luck and watch that vid even the experienced had trouble.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOU_0HpS7To
plastercracker is offline   Reply With Quote